A-1H Skyraider, Flying Dragon

Hi everyone,

Thought I`d show you some pic`s of my latest effort; yet another Skyraider...

mX35KXl.jpg

This time Tamiyas 1/48 A-1H, completed as an aircraft of the 514th Fighter Squadron, Son Vuong Flight, South Vietnam Air Force Circa 1962-63

vklCPAI.jpg

Made a few alterations to the base kit

IJQrzWZ.jpg

with deletion of one antenna on the underside and fabricated a large blade antenna for the rear fuselage, removal of the tail hook and made blanking plate,

je1mGYs.jpg

Bombs came from the spares box and as some pic`s showed them quite lightly loaded, I thought I`d do it that for a change

lzpt2JF.jpg

Decals were from the remains of a Cutting Edge sheet and some from the kit and stash

AKOd3lp.jpg

Other wise just the usual seat belts, brake pipe and canvas cover behind the seat.

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking, Cheers Russ

• Like 33

Russ

Well, you learn something every day !. I did not realise the VNAF Spads were overall Light Grey.....I had assumed, without really checking, that they wore the standard Light Gull Grey/White scheme used on USN Spads. Now I know, this may give me added incentive to start my own kit - its on my 'to do' list but will have to wait until I have finished some of the others.

A great build, BTW, and I like the choice of markings and the fact that it is not fully loaded.....I suspect the weather conditions, with high humidity, prevented the carriage of full weapons loads on many occasions, as firepower was traded against performance and the ability to get out of the EZ quickly and efficiently when it all got a little bit 'tricky'.

Well Done although I envy your workrate !

• Like 1

Russ, your builds are becoming excessively boring: always perfect, beautifully painted and eye catching!

Can't you make a mistake once in a while to give us, poor average modelers, some hope?

Fantastic as always!

Well done

JR

• Like 2

Russ

Well, you learn something every day !. I did not realise the VNAF Spads were overall Light Grey.....I had assumed, without really checking, that they wore the standard Light Gull Grey/White scheme used on USN Spads. Now I know, this may give me added incentive to start my own kit - its on my 'to do' list but will have to wait until I have finished some of the others.

A great build, BTW, and I like the choice of markings and the fact that it is not fully loaded.....I suspect the weather conditions, with high humidity, prevented the carriage of full weapons loads on many occasions, as firepower was traded against performance and the ability to get out of the EZ quickly and efficiently when it all got a little bit 'tricky'.

Well Done although I envy your workrate !

re: I did not realise the VNAF Spads were overall Light Grey.....I had assumed, without really checking, that they wore the standard Light Gull Grey/White scheme used on USN Spads

Cheers Tiger331, from what I`ve read, some of the first ones obtained by the VNAF were Gull Grey/Gloss White, so be worth checking depending on what markings you use.

Thanks for to all for looking and kind comments

Stunning Flying dump truck!

I've got one tiny point: it looks like a much used airplane, but the propellor is brand new, some chipping could make it just more convincing.

Dave

Cheers Dave, point taken, but maybe it had a new propeller fitted :)