My Visit to HMS Queen Elizabeth - 3rd September 2014

davecov

• 7 months later...

Dave, I know Airfix was a part of your commissioning of this 1/350 scale model. BTW, VERY well done! Thanks for sharing.

http://www.airfix.com/us-en/news/airfix-unveil-specially-commissioned-queen-elizabeth-aircraft-carrier-model/

My question is this (and I am sure you've probably heard it before) , does Airfix plan in putting out a 1/350 scale kit?

Along the lines of what they did for the lusty? (Which btw, I have built - http://www.jeffhead.com/modelbuilds/UK-R06.htm, along with every other modern 1.350 scale aircraft carrier I can get my hands on).

r06-123.jpg

Is Airfix planning a kit like this?

I am absolutely positive that they would roll off the shelves if they did. Besides myself I personally know dozens of modelers here in the states who would buy them 1st thing.

Hi Jeff,

At the time of the above visit to the ship, I learnt that if Airfix were to produce a kit, then it would probably be a 1/700 scale version and not 1/350. Even then, a kit would only see the light of day if there was enough interest from the public.

Dave.

• Like 1

Well, I was one of many who told them that they really should produce the ship in 1/350 at Telford last year, so hopefully they took notice.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

At the time of the above visit to the ship, I learnt that if Airfix were to produce a kit, then it would probably be a 1/700 scale version and not 1/350. Even then, a kit would only see the light of day if there was enough interest from the public.

Thanks for such a quick answer!

I know there is interest here in the states...but mainly for the 1/350 scale...though I have no doubts the smaller scale would sell as well.

With the commissioning of the QE coming...I have to believe that there would be huge interest in the UK as well...and in fact, in all commonwealth countries too.

I believe their margins would be better on the 1/350 scale and people (like my anyway) would be willing to pay $125 (US) or more for it, particularly if they got with the guys at WEM and included a PE kit with it the way Gallery and Trumpeter are doing.

Oh well, all we can do is hope, and wait and see what time brings.

I am just itching to get one for my RN CSG!

I'd buy as well...

I could imagine quite a few people would be happy to buy at a similar or slightly higher price than for the Kuznetsov or PLA carrier.

So $/€125 would be a good guide price.

I agree too with what has recently been said - in fact check the top of this page! I reckon in the region of £100 should do it, although added to that would be a decent photo etch set which could cost £50 on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Add me in Ireland; who will buy in both scales if they were available.

If only one scale, then 1/700 as then it would fit in with the 13 built and 20-odd in the stash I have in that scale. As opposed to the 2 1/350 kits (Enterprise & Nimitz).

Note to self; must get an Airfix Lusty...

Actually, there's a few gaps in 1/700 carriers starting with a 70's Ark Royal, a final fit Enterprise and a Charles De Gaulle. Then this QE/PoW, Foch/Sao Paulo/Clemenceau, JFK, Midway, Coral Sea, Eagle and please ANY SCB-125 Essex ship. I think Hobbyboss missed a trick here when they released more kits of Wasp-class and Burke-class ships when others already do them.

• Like 1

I put my vote for one ,it would have to be a 1/700,having just finished a 1/350 Airfix HMS Illustrious,which was very enjoyable, l prefer 1/700 mainly for storage and transport to shows and l enjoy the challenge of 1/700

Great photos and well done on the model, very nice. I went over the Forth Bridge last week and was pleased to see the gigantic shape of the QE rising up out of the gloom in the distance. I was wondering if I would ever get to go onboard, maybe Pompey Navy Days? if they still have them! You've Black Catted me on that one shipmate.

I could,nt help noticing a complete lack of aircraft and the model has none either :coat:

stevej60, I think you will find that would make it a fair representation of the real thing, as she will be when at sea :whistle:

Where can I get a Cap Tally?