My Visit to HMS Queen Elizabeth - 3rd September 2014

davecov

I am just back from a very interesting and rewarding visit to the Navy's latest aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth which is building in Rosyth Dockyard. The purpose of the visit was an Airfix/RN PR event where the HMS Queen Elizabeth model I made for the ship was handed over. We were given a briefing ashore before being taken on a two hour tour of the ship. Very exciting!

Here am I with Darrell Burge and other Airfix staff along with Alfie Ramsay (blue shirt) of Babcock who helped me with the plans for the build along with two of our Navy hosts, Lt Cdr "Monty" Montgomery (right) and WO1 Nic Covey (left):
Img_2754.jpg

After the briefing, it was off to the ship dressed in appropriate gear - hard hat, goggles, overalls and big boots!
Img_2783.jpg

Img_2784.jpg

Img_2757.jpg

Img_2767.jpg

Img_2772.jpg

Img_2768.jpg

Img_2769.jpg

Img_2766.jpg

Img_2775.jpg

Img_2771.jpg

Img_2770.jpg

Img_2773.jpg

As well as outside the ship, we were shown around the hangar (below), forward bridge, ops room, weapon loading bays, sick bay, galley, dining hall and a lot of passageways and ladders!
Img_2811.jpg

After the tour, Darrell and I were introduced to Captain Simon Petitt, Commanding Officer of HMS Queen Elizabeth. He asked me how accurate the model was and I just said it is for others to judge!

For me, an ex-matelot, it was a brilliant occasion which will remain in my memory for a long, long time.

Dave

• Like 15

Thanks all.

The lifts were installed in the month prior to the naming ceremony on 4th July and are suspended from their edges by double sets of chains (covered in green material). You can see the chains/lifts in photos 6-8 above. The lifts are huge as you can see in photo 8 showing the hangar entrance and they can take two aircraft at a time.

Dave

Edited by davecov
  • Like 1

Great visit to have Dave althought i bet when you were being asked to pose holding the model on the flight deck you wished you had done it in 1/600 or 1/700 scale instead :winkgrin: .

Hopefully with Airfix's involvement in this one off model, that they have also secured the rights to do a proper kit or two

• Like 2

Thanks all.

The lifts were installed in the month prior to the naming ceremony on 4th July and are suspended from their edges by double sets of chains (covered in green material). You can see the chains/lifts in photos 6-8 above. The lifts are huge as you can see in photo 8 showing the hangar entrance and they can take two aircraft at a time.

Dave

Ah, I see it now, that is big! Do you know where your model will be displayed?

Ross.

On 9/3/2014 at 9:26 PM, Geoff_B said:

Great visit to have Dave althought i bet when you were being asked to pose holding the model on the flight deck you wished you had done it in 1/600 or 1/700 scale instead :winkgrin: .

Hopefully with Airfix's involvement in this one off model, that they have also secured the rights to do a proper kit or two

It was quite heavy, Geoff, weighing almost 5 kilos including base but at least we had four or five people taking turns carrying it to the ship!

Originally, I was asked to make a 1/1200 scale version which would have been a lot lighter:

Queen_Elizabeth_1200_026.JPG

- but the RN wanted a bigger one! Personally, I prefer the 1/350 version!

On 9/3/2014 at 9:43 PM, Ravens said:

Ah, I see it now, that is big! Do you know where your model will be displayed?

Ross.

There will be on permanent display in the Wardroom along with memorabilia from the previous HMS Queen Elizabeth (the battleship) and other gifts given to the ship.

Dave

• Like 2

I love the way in photo 4 the name of the ship is written on the side - just in case you forget which ship is which! :)

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Graham

Great photographs Dave and Model looks superb I would buy one for sure if Airfix kitted it,however I could,nt help noticing a complete lack of

aircraft and the model has none either :coat:

On 9/3/2014 at 11:13 PM, stevej60 said:

Great photographs Dave and Model looks superb I would buy one for sure if Airfix kitted it,however I could,nt help noticing a complete lack of

aircraft and the model has none either :coat:

Thanks. There are model aircraft and helicopters on the model but they are hard to see in the photos above:

Queen_Elizabeth_350_122.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_121.JPG

First flight trials will take place in 2018.

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks.

She is named after the previous ship, not the monarch. The name follows on from the previous HMS Queen Elizabeth which saw service in the 20th Century. At the time she was in service there was no Queen Elizabeth II on the throne. BTW, the Cunard QE2 was only given the "2" because her predecessor was still afloat (at least until she caught fire and sunk in Hong Kong). The latest Cunard Queen Elizabeth was not given a "3" either.

Hope that makes sense!

Dave

Edited by davecov
  • Like 2

Thanks.

She is named after the previous ship, not the monarch. The name follows on from the previous HMS Queen Elizabeth which saw service in the 20th Century. At the time she was in service there was no Queen Elizabeth II on the throne. BTW, the Cunard QE2 was only given the "2" because her predecessor was still afloat (at least until she caught fire and sunk in Hong Kong). The latest Cunard Queen Elizabeth was not given a "3" either.

Hope that makes sense!

Dave

Ah, I see, makes perfect sense.

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Actually (according to the excellent recent BBC 'Clydebuilt' and other sources) the QE2 name only came about at it's launch - the current Queen unexpectedly said - 'I name this ship - Queen Elizabeth...the second' - which perplexed the shipbuilders no end - but actually neatly solved the complication that the 1930's built ship could retain its name - a little longer.