Irish Air Corps Chipmunk 1/72

Seeing as it is my first post on Britmodeller i thought i would start off with something close to home .. my little Airfix chipmunk ,built this a few years ago and only recently found the pics.. it's a great little kit to play about with as all of you know who built it .. mine's not as good as it could be but then again i put it together in a day .. as you can see the prop and exhaust are missing that's because the prop was in three bits and all twisted in the box when i got it and the exhaust was missing but not to bad for only 3 quid .. its straight OOB bar the two lads which were in the spares box so decided to put them to good use .. pics are not the best but hope you enjoy and of course comments welcome :)

DSCN0963_zpsa87e1dbc.jpg

DSCN0974_zps9e5f5744.jpg

DSCN0952_zpsf499644b.jpg

DSCN0977_zps065bb7cd.jpg

• Like 13

Nice to see a chipmunk. Why don't you ask on here for a spare prop or contact airfix, Should be able to sort it out then, :)

thank you robvulcan i have the parts now just haven't got around to putting them on yet but i will :) .. working on an a380 at the min so will get around to getting it 100% soon ..

• Like 1

Not every day one has the pleasure to see an aircraft in Irish markings. It's always a pleasure.

Nice work there. Can't wait to see it again with the missing bits added. It will look great!

JR

• Like 1

I have some critics for you, since all positive is said (always easy here to get a load of compliments :winkgrin: )

First the photos as you said, they are mobile pictures i assume? If you don't have a proper camera, try placing your model on a flat white (or other unicolor) surface. For me a shirt placed over a box works fine, you don't need a professional photo box.

Regarding the model: First use more thinner for your colors. they are too thick i think. Are you using acrylic or enamel? Then try to sand (type 2000 sandpaper) the surface between the layers. And get yourself some masking tape, so the different colored areas are cleaner seperated and straight. This is very useful for the canopy, too (though you did it very well for free-hand brushing).

Edited by Luftwaffe
  • Like 2

I have some critics for you, since all positive is said (always easy here to get a load of compliments :winkgrin: )

First the photos as you said, they are mobile pictures i assume? If you don't have a proper camera, try placing your model on a flat white (or other unicolor) surface. For me a shirt placed over a box works fine, you don't need a professional photo box.

Regarding the model: First use more thinner for your colors. they are too thick i think. Are you using acrylic or enamel? Then try to sand (type 2000 sandpaper) the surface between the layers. And get yourself some masking tape, so the different colored areas are cleaner seperated and straight. This is very useful for the canopy, too (though you did it very well for free-hand brushing).

The critics are a good thing that's why we put stuff up on here to learn from others (tips and tricks) and you were spot on they are mobile pics on an old phone but i thought hey they will do :P but that's a great bit of info about the shirt over a box and i shall definitely give it a shot on my next (IAC pc9 ) again spot on they were enamel paints i used and as regards to the thickness of the paint i released that it looked very thick especially around the nose just after i had done it but as i said it was done really fast (few hours) and never though that i would end up putting it up here.. but she was mainly to try out the dayglo orange decals ( which i have come to despise ) much rather paint the area white then dayglo .. but you don't come across the little chipmunks with the canopy open very often so i thought id make a change .

but thanks for the comment , much appreciated

Dan

Great work, love it! Airfix are very good and will probably send you a propeller for a couple of quid :)

Cheers Val, i have a better one up in the attic somewhere must root it out and get it up .. have got one since just never got a chance to get the parts on :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

New pics of the chip with the rest of it put together and the black around the nose fixed and straightened out .. DSCN5612_zpse384896d.jpgDSCN5613_zps7ffa4000.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Dan:

Congratulations for the success in the recovering of this one!!!

Great model and great improvement over before, you have done a good job cutting the canopy and doing a colour scheme that is wonderful and different like the morning's fresh air. As the time goes by, and the models are flowing from the factory with the help of your hands, you will have being improving each time, every day with every model and the last will be better and better than the one before, just get a lot of patience and learn the "know how" of the modeling art, and let flow the artist you have inside of you!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...