Revell Douglas X-3 Flying Stiletto and Tractor - Finished

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

What a cracking build!

Only discovered this last night and had to read through from start to finish and have been suitably impressed by the work involved!

I have a book here (strongly recommended for aviation buffs!) "The lonely sky" by William Bridgeman (Cassel & Co Ltd, London, 1956) which refers to the X-3 towards the end. Bill Bridgeman was offered the test pilot role for this aircraft after testing the Douglas Skyrocket.

He makes mention of the hoist method of being raised up into the aircraft from below and of the immense lack of view from the seat. You couldn't see the wings or the nose at all!

She does appear to have been "all show" as a rocket ship but without the ability. Bridgeman was concerned about her performance below 650knots! Those small wings could provide fun whereas the Skyrocket was still possessing a decent sized wing after returning from high speeds.

It has been a greatly entertaining thread, about a stunning aeroplane, by a very talented modeller!

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

You should have kept quiet! :winkgrin:

I really should have shouldn't I. It is a terrible old kit but I did have a lot of fun wrestling with it. I do quite like making something of these old beasties.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 6 months later...