Revell Douglas X-3 Flying Stiletto and Tractor - Finished

Thanks chaps.

Your offer is very kind KT but I don't mind trying to knock the tractor into shape - its quite fun (sort of). Plus this kit is an odd scale (1/65th) so a 1/72nd tractor might look a little small.

OK fella no worries.....Bit of a latecomer to this thread, so I wasn't aware of the scale issue. I'd offer to help out with steering wheels or other tractory gubbins, but knowing you, you will have fashioned a better one from unobtanium before I can find an envelope and a stamp! :D

If you (or anyone else) would like a 1/72 Tractor for another project (might look good with the Banana) you are more than welcome. :coolio:

• Like 1

Thanks Vanja, I have been wondering where you've been. Busy studying aeronautics probably.

Not yet, fortunately... It's been a busy period in the last two-three weeks, so most of my hobbies are on hold. Should be over soon... :)

• Like 1

OK, will do. Good to know that I am doing some things right.

I got ready to start work on the last part left on the wonky old sprues - the pointy nose part (please excuse the technical language):

P1080215_zps92021de0.jpg

Of course the plastic probe part will not do so I cut that off with a view to replacing it with some 0.5mm brass tube:

P1080217_zpse685445b.jpg

I started to drill it out with a 0.4mm drill and then finished it off with a 0.5mm one:

P1080218_zps5750ff25.jpg

I then glued on the pointy nose part but will only add the delicate pitot tube just before the white primer application (still a little way off):

P1080219_zpsdd338177.jpg

While that hardens up , back to the tractor. This kit is half scale model and half toy. The way the wheels fit on their axles is very toy like:

P1080220_zps30d5d47a.jpg

I have an idea to add some detail to the axle hole to make painting simpler and more like the reality I saw on the example with g-usa, here is the rear wheel of that one:

P1070738_zps2288f023.jpg

That also provides some useful ideas for painting and weathering. (Note the missing wheel nut - America can be such a dangerous place).

Oh and here is g-usa:

P1070736_zpsc26c5ac4.jpg

A truly fine and handsome fellow.

I put a flat on the tyre and using some plastic tube and rod created a detail for the wheel centre:

P1080221_zps30b514fd.jpg

Here it is installed and I also shortened the axle to suit - it is still plenty long enough:

P1080223_zpsac1d3c18.jpg

I think these wheels are the product of someone's overactive imagination rather than anything actually researched (ten wheel bolts on this small wheel - really?) but hopefully after some paint and weathering they will not look too bad.

• Like 1

It's a cast-off shell without engines and very very faded and weathered. There wasn't a history of the craft. It and a few more like it were at the B-36 Peacemaker Museum. This museum shares the same facility as the OV-10 and FAC museums. It was there I got to show Nigel one of the weirder and very less known aircraft I was associated with in my past life, (courtesy of Uncle Sam and an unfortunate birthdate), the Lockheed YO-3A or yo yo. Even the little blurb about it in the museum didn't have what type of aircraft it was. In our tours of museums around the DFW Metroplex we came across many tired and well worn F-111s and F-105s.

• Like 1

Duncan,

As far as the paint scheme goes, it was an American plane from the late 60s early 70s. What other paint scheme would you think it would be but multicolor. I just didn't show the side that had the flowers and peace signs. And now back to the stiletto . . .

• Like 2

You can tell he's a lawyer by the way he's looking at the small print.

Man that is one tired looking F-111!

Great skills on display here Nigel,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Even I knew it was an F 111.

I thought George was looking at hotwiring

that Clark tractor. We still had a couple of

those out here until early this year.

BTW George, the white hair, Good disguise

for criminal activities. They'll never find you.

• Like 2

I was of course very pleased and delighted to meet such lovely and well mannered Texan ladies - there is nothing more to be said.

Today I was mostly concerned with organising our annual club display so I have not got too much done, I did however get the pitot tube glued on the nose:

P1080238_zpsc6240c67.jpg

I think I managed to just about preserve the rivet detail here after filling operations:

P1080239_zpsf70d511b.jpg

And on this side as well:

P1080240_zps23db5e0d.jpg

I also managed to clean up all the filler on the tractor:

P1080241_zps80cedb96.jpg

Tomorrow I think I will be mainly getting things ready for a coat of primer.

• Like 3