SLUF Experts, help please? 1/48 Hobbyboss A7E Corsair II external stores

dhdove

Hi guys

Hope you can offer some advice. My latest US Navy Cold War project is the above kit in 1975 VA-86 "Sidewinders" USS Nimitz version.

The kit instructions aren't exactly clear re external payload and positions.....

....I believe the drop tanks go on the inboard station as shown on the box art and most contemporary pics, the instructions show them outboard.

GBU-10 Paveway wasn't in service in 1975 I believe, so that's out and no FLIR to go with it I guess? I think these would apply to the other markings option of VA-195 "Dambusters" 1982?

I also believe that in 1975 the USS Nimitz was on North Atlantic/Mediterranean duties (possibly it's maiden voyage?) so the aircraft weren't active at that time in the Vietnam War.....which had pretty much ended anyway.

My thoughts are

Fuse rails 2X Aim9-L

Two drop tanks on inner stations

AGM-65 (single) on the central station

But what on the outer stations? The kit instructions show the drop tanks but I believe this is incorrect.

The kit includes a variety of options

Drop tanks X2

FLIR X1 (too modern I think)

GBU-10 X2 (ditto)

MK-82 bombs X12

MK-20 bombs X12

AGM-65 X8

AIM9L X2

Can I put AGM-65 X3 on the outer rails? Or, would it be more accurate to put the three AGM-65 on the larger (and stronger) central station and the single on the outboard?

Sorry for the detailed question but I don't want to just glue any old ordnance onto this baby! It would be nice to have it right.

I have already fixed all the rails to the wings prior to painting but I guess I could leave some empty if that's an accurate representation?

Thanks in advance

TonyS

PS here's a teaser of the tub with Aires Zoom fitted, sorry about the IPad focus......

3128a9acacfe7f8b3fb14ce1a26b8134.jpg

Edited by dhdove

You're right about the Nimitz being on its maiden voyage in 1975, in the North Atlantic. You can see the cruisebook here.

Droptanks could go on both the inboard and outboard stations, no FLIR pod yet, GBU-10 might have been possible, but not likely. The ones in the kit are too modern anyway. (Looks like they tossed the same weapon sprue in this kit as in the A-10 kit) No GBU-8's either. You can use the Rockeyes and Mk.82's, though. The AIM-9's are too modern for 1975, back then the USN used the AIM-9D/G/H. I'm not sure if they would have used the AGM-65's already back then, but if they did, I doubt they would have gone for the full three rail launcher option.

Remember, like you said, they weren't going to war, so a light load or even empty pylons would be more accurate than a full war load in this case

Here is one with various weapons displayed:

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/download/file.php?id=103754&mode=view

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/download/file.php?id=103756&mode=view

as mentioned the Mavericks weren't in use then nor the FLIR. In the pics you can see assorted mines on one side, on the other Walleye, GBU-12 Paveway I (large tail fins), Rockeye and standard GP bombs. Also although no conflicts were happening during the time period in question, a/c were loaded and weapons were dropped to keep the crews current:

http://media.nara.gov/stillpix/330-cfd/1987/DN-SC-87-06550.jpeg

http://naval.aviation.museum/emuwebdoncoms/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=37319

Jari

The A-7 began dropping LGBs over Vietnam in 1972.

Regards,

Murph

Thanks Murph,

EDIT

My mistake, my lack of knowledge of ordnance meant I mistook dumb bombs for smart bombs!

So possibly GBU-10 Paveway then? Would the laser designator be on the same aircraft?

Sorry to be so ignorant!

TonyS

PS for those of you who are as confused as me apologies, I've edited this post to death!

Edited by dhdove

............But further enlightenment especially regarding USN versus USAF would be much appreciated!

TonyS

Edited by dhdove

............But further enlightenment especially regarding USN versus USAF would be much appreciated!

Both services used the AN/AVQ-10 Pave Knife, the Air Force from a number of modified F-4D's, the Navy from A-6 Intruders.

These pods replaced the earlier handheld Airborne Laser Designator (ALD), a few of which were also used by TA-4F's from VA-164.

The USAF replaced the Pave Knife with the AN/AVQ-23 Pave Spike from 1974 on, the Navy used the A-6E TRAM,reflecting that services traditional preference for onboard systems as opposed to the USAF's external pod preference.

HTH,

Andre

GBU-10 was around in 1975, but it would have been the Paveway I variety (with the older box-type wing assembly). Paveway II (with the more modern folding wings) didn't make it's appearance until the early 1980's.

As far as AGM-65 is concerned, I believe the LAU-88 triple-rail launcher was the only one in service at that time. The newer LAU-117 single-rail launcher was introduced later - primarily because AGM-65E/F/G were too heavy for the LAU-88 with their 300 pound warheads. I'm doubtful that the US Navy would have used it anyway - at least at this particular time.

A more plausible loadout would be the GBU-12 or GBU-16.

A bit of useless information: Paveway I could be assembled in either "high speed" or "low speed" configuration. For low speed delivery, "wing extenders" were attached to the wings by means of four bolts on each wing. This gave (presumably) more lift at lower airspeeds. Aircraft such as the A-10 would use this particular configuration.

Edited by Slater

G/H Winders, Mk.82s, Rockeyes and Shrikes are the most likely load-out options.

LGBs were dropped in buddy fashion relying on lasing from another platform. Not much of that happening between about 1974 and the introduction of TRAM around 1979.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your replies, they have been both illuminating and a little confusing at the same time, but then I'm on a steep learning curve. TBH I can live with any discrepancies in the accuracy of the shape of the ordnance, I'm not that experienced or knowledgable to notice the difference yet. Also I do not intend to buy additional ordnance for this kit, rather I'm exploring a range of weathering techniques for the first time, we'll see how it works out!

So with relation to the ordnance load I've decided to go for drop tanks, Mk82 and Mk20.

On a maiden voyage, friendly tour any suggestions as to what would have been a "training sortie" load? Drop tanks inboard or outboard?

Would there just have been one weapon per pylon or the full six? My gut instinct says just one but I don't know.....

... My intended load, sidewinders on the fuse side stations, drop tanks (outboard?), and just one Mk82 and Mk20 on each of the other pylons????

BTW airframe now complete, gloss coated and awaiting decals. After that alighting gear, weapons and canopy etc. and my first SLUF is done!

Thanks again....

TonyS

Edited by dhdove