Rising sun Raiden.

stevej60

Hi folks,with the 1/24 Hurricane finished and only a much smaller mustang on the go I thought I would try to re-visit my old

scale of 1/48,I got this kit at Sunderland,s air museum a few weeks ago for the pricely sum of £7.all fully sealed and with

the novelty of a motor and base.I was suprised by the recessed lines as I have come across other older Tamiya kits that

featured raised details the kit is up to tamiya,s usual high standard with a seated and standing figure so with two other 1/48

builds gone west since joining BM let,s hope its third time lucky!jack_zps035bc26c.jpgSDC12095_zpsb8277e8b.jpgSDC12096_zps2793342a.jpg

• Like 7

Hi folks todays progress: sprayed the interior green inside fuselage/cockpit and fittings on other sprues. while waiting for the paint drying fitted the

little motor to the fuselage bulkheads and what a superb fit, they just pressed into place and a dry run of the complete unit also shows a great fit

this months SAMI has a build of Zoukei-mura,s 1/32 offering so a good source of reference and inspiration is at hand.SDC12118_zps5614abba.jpgSDC12115_zps4883d718.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Guys,couple of shots of this mornings progress,now I,m not going for anything other than an OOB build I,ve added a couple of levers noticeable

in the SAMI article just to add a bit of life to the cockpit as in the first picture,then the painted and dry brushed it in photo two.also rather than have

a plain black base I,ve tried to represent a bit of overgrown tarmac.thanks for looking.SDC12119_zps428bf5c2.jpgSDC12122_zpsa8d878f2.jpgSDC12120_zps04c1d5e2.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good Steve,

Have you thought about doing it as a captured one operated by the British in Malaya? That is what I intend on doing with mine!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Looking good Steve,

Have you thought about doing it as a captured one operated by the British in Malaya? That is what I intend on doing with mine!

Cheers

Tony

I,had,nt Tony,I like the scheme in the box with the lightning bolts,on the subject of Malaya,I have Tamiya,s Brewster Buffalo which I,m thinking of building

next as a far east RAF machine.I have to correct the fact that said this kit had recessed lines it has in fact raised lines although they are very fine and

well done.

Looks like a very nice 1/48 project in the making - and a bargain too!! :popcorn:

Definitely a bargain Stix,I wish I had picked up Hasegawa,s P51 Big Beautiful Doll in 1/48 which say on the shelf with it for a very nice fourteen quid!

• Like 1

Hi folks,today,s update: the motor is fitted and the cockpit as you can see,a dry run reveals a perfect fit of the fuselage sides as you would expect

of Tamiya,off camera the wings are assembled the prop is all painted up ready until the end of the build,thanks for your interest.SDC12131_zpsf99824e8.jpgSDC12124_zpse1578f68.jpg

• Like 2

Hi folks,here,s the latest,all assembled and just a little work required to get the seams cleaned up.Overall fit of parts excellent fo an older kit

should get her primed tomorrow.SDC12133_zps7791e22a.jpg

• Like 2

Hi folks this mornings progress:primed her in the under surface gray then masked off and sprayed the upper surfaces aluminium so that

after green is applied I can do some chipping and weathering and might even try the "salt" method on the wing roots though not to the extent

I did the little airfix zero!SDC12135_zps5501d401.jpgSDC10852_zpse3e37f00.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all, heres this mornings progress.I have "dabbled" with the panel lines using maskol so that once I paint the large yellow area of the leading

edges on the wing it should rub off and hopefully give a decent wear and tear look the the airframe,funny thing with this kit is that the fuselage

has raised lines and the wings recessed?the photo was taken in the beautiful sunshine were having here in Durham so it looks lighter than it

does in normal light I have used Tamiya dark green just lightened a touch to take into account the varnishing to come.SDC12141_zps89340e50.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,latest progress:probably not to everyone,s taste but here,s the result of the wear and tear using maskol,trying to represent the heavy paint

loss these aircraft suffered from in the tropics.the next step is glossing and a wash then trying to get a worn look on the decals.thanks for looking.SDC12147_zpsc90d526f.jpg

• Like 3

Got another hour on her today so decals on a wash applied and matt coat done,next job the canopy to mask and paint then pop on the wheels and

prop and then rig her up to the battery once fixed on to the base.SDC12149_zpsb9d65d3d.jpgSDC12151_zpsbe0e90b3.jpg

• Like 3

That's looking great, I still refuse to believe you're spending an hour a day on it. Pleased the weathering trick worked I remember how battered these things could get.
Hopefully the rest goes ok and then you can go back to the 1/32 spitfire with its pain in the (&%^ cockpit :winkgrin:

Steve you legend!

Everyone loves the massively weathered Raidens and Zeros and Dinahs and and and .....

You inspire me as i'm not yet brave enough to try the techniques required!

Looks awesome. Love how you have taken the weathering over the decals in the right way.

Top stuff.....really.....top stuff

• Like 1