1/48 Hobby Boss YF-23 Complete (PAV-2)

Hi all this is my latest build and for once it is for me, just over 2 weeks work happy.gif102_8899.jpg
102_8907.jpg
This is the 1/48 Hobby Boss YF-23, the only extras for it are the Caracal Decals, these are essential as the kit ones are total nonsense and an Aires resin Ejection Seat.
The kit itself went together perfectly, really quite impressed, the join between the two halves of the fuselage was perfect, just the smallest application of liquid filler and that was it.
For a 1/48 kit she is huge, not 100% sure of Hobby Boss scaling here but I like big.
happy.gif (430mm/17” long)
102_8763.jpg
The cockpit is nicely done and is a good likeness for the original and with the Aires seat turned out quite nicely.
102_8698.jpg
102_8702.jpg
102_8758.jpg
It is a shame they did not make more of an effort in the engine area as this is a bit sparse and the ceramic tiles around the exhaust could have been a bit more detailed.
102_8818.jpg
None of these are really big issues, I suppose the biggest flaw is the canopy. The real aircraft has a two stage mechanism for raising the canopy, this gives the pilot and crew greater and easier access.
The whole of this area is missing in the kit which means you have to build with the canopy down, I did ponder some scratch building but there just is not enough accurate imagery to do it properly. Allot of it would have ended up as guesswork and there is no point in doing that.
102_8888.jpg

As usual all painted in Tamiya Acrylics and post shaded for a little weathering, in hindsight Pav One would have been better for weathering as she is Dark Grey and there are some good images out there with sandy panel lines, a bit like the SR-71.
102_8800.jpg
102_8814.jpg
102_8852.jpg
102_8854.jpg
Complete.
102_8894.jpg
102_8897.jpg
102_8898.jpg
102_8900.jpg
102_8903.jpg
102_8904.jpg
102_8905.jpg
102_8906.jpg

Still have a little time before all the parts for the next commission get here so i will have to find another quick build.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 9

That's how it's done! Fantastic model there, really impressive work. Looks brilliant and nice to see some on progress snapshots. Excellent.

Cheers mate, I normally do a WIP but i do not get much time inbetween commissions so i just focused on the build for once, in all honesty there are not that many parts, just a nice simple build, about 2 weeks in total.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

I so love the YF-23 and yours looks fantastic.

I have to agree that the fit was great and I really enjoyed it.

The kit is based more on PAV-2, the exhaust petals are totally wrong for PAV-1 I did correct them when I did it. Link

I was going to put the call sign on the front undercarriage door but after reading about it it turns out the identities were swapped by accident during restoration.

Anyway seeing yours makes me think I should get another one and do it again

• Like 2

I so love the YF-23 and yours looks fantastic.

I have to agree that the fit was great and I really enjoyed it.

The kit is based more on PAV-2, the exhaust petals are totally wrong for PAV-1 I did correct them when I did it. Link

I was going to put the call sign on the front undercarriage door but after reading about it it turns out the identities were swapped by accident during restoration.

Anyway seeing yours makes me think I should get another one and do it again

Thanks, a very enjoyable build, i knew about the decal on the front u/c door but whats life without a bit of whimsy

Thanks for looking

Danny

very nice!

maybe the lack of pictures of the canopy hinges was the reason hobby boss did not do these?

great work on the cockpit, tiles, landing gear, air frame, weathering, ---- everything!

great!

• Like 1

What a beauty the '23 was.......................would like to have seen one in the air.

Yours looks great, really nice work.

• Like 1

very nice!

maybe the lack of pictures of the canopy hinges was the reason hobby boss did not do these?

great work on the cockpit, tiles, landing gear, air frame, weathering, ---- everything!

great!

Thanks mate

Danny