1:350 Type 42 Destroyer HMS York

The second side is now on. A bit of fetling is required, but in general I am very happy with the result.

york10_zpse6bedf5e.jpg

The anchor well is a bit annoying as there is a bulkhead sitting right behind it !!!!!

Tomorrow I will fit the remaining side pieces and start work on the stern and the quarterdeck that sits below the flightdeck.

John

• Like 6

Thanks Dave. I thought it would take me at least a week to get the hull shape right. I fully expected to be making replacement bulkheads to replace ones that did not look right, but thankfully I only needed to adjust one of them.

The hull was the part I was most worried about. I was`nt quite sure if I would be up to the task !!

Really looking forward to getting started on the superstructure.

I wont fit a flightdeck until I have detailed the quarterdeck underneath. I think there are a few watertight doors here and will need to wait for the etched ones to arrive before going too far in this area.

John

Thanks Kev, I am very pleased so far but there is still a long way to go yet.

It is not until you delve into the plans that you realise how many complex shapes there are.

The ones that immediately jump out are the RADAR domes, the bow shape and the chimney, however, even items like the anchor or the breakwaters could easily take just as long.

For me, the key to this build is trying to source parts that are already produced such as: bollards, liferaft cannisters and Lynx helicopter. There is no point in rebuilding something especially when my attempts would not be as good.

Excellent hull. I am intrigued by this method, because eventually I'm going to need to scratch build a hull or two. I have a long-term plan to build every ship I served in, and to do it there's going to have to be scratch-buildery... unless someone comes up with a 1/350 Type 22 Batch 1 (Broadsword), Batch 2 (Boxer), a River class MSF (Blackwater) or an LPD (Fearless). July current Ark Royal and the Atlantic Models DLG (Norfolk) in my stash are the easy bit!

• Like 1

Bit more work being done today, I will post pictures this evening.

If anyone has any 1:350 generic parts leftover from Illustrious, Type 23, Type 45, I will gladly purchase these bits.

Things I really need are: Pre-Mod 4.5inch Gun from the Trumpeter Type 23 kit ( Not the Kryten type) and Life raft cannisters.

John

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer Bookneck, I need to get some RADAR domes from Dave, so it would make sense to get the bits and bobs in one go.

Thanks for the offer Dave, PM inbound !!

Just sanding down the extra 1mm on the bulkheads. I must admit to scratching my head over why the bulkheads were sitting 1mm too high. It then dawned on me that the hull was sat on a baseplate of 1mm plasticard and that I had not taken this into account !!

john

I have just been sanding them down, only 2 or 3 left to go.

Got really cheesed of with sanding and have been doing some work on the basic structure of the hangar bay. I then go back to some more sanding while waiting for the glue to dry.

It's the old "How do you eat an elephant" thing, eh? It's one of the good things about ships - there's always some other bits you can be getting on with.

F

• Like 1