Anyone else heard the rumor of an Airfix Shackleton?

Jennings Heilig

Last time one of these rumours got spread around the traps - we got a 1/24 Typhoon announcement at Telford?

I have to say, although it's only a rumour - it would be an early Christmas present if it became a Trumour!!

Time to sell my Frog Shackelton I guess!

Cheers .. Dave

• Like 2

Hope not! Acquired two of revell/frog rivet monsters! Typical, but flipping Brill if old airfix do! A brit company giving us what we want, true classic brit cold war aircraft!........ Bout time too :)

• Like 3

Imagine if they were to do a Shackleton and put a mystery model of one of the cast from The Magic Roundabout in the box !

Boiiinnng!

Robert

• Like 4

Yep……this is old news…….been doing the rounds for some years now and a company I used to do work for was approached about their views on the viability of such a kit…..We supported it wholeheartedly being Post-War Brit fans. I'm still not at liberty to say who made the request but it would certainly fit with either of these companies' current and recent back catalogues, along with the new mould C-130 that was also being mooted.

May be true, a person I know who is involved with Airfix told me they are releasing four kits in the near future.

He told me one was 1/48 and the remainder are 1/72.

He said the 1/48 kit was a long overdue jet (which came true) and one of the 1/72 kits is multi-engine.

Yes he was vague but with this thread it looks like it may be a possibility.

It would be great, and I guess eventually pave the way for a Lincoln as well, with a bit of creative sprue-juggling with the Lancs. But if there's one aircraft for which fine engraved panel lines and little holes for "rivets" is the WRONG way to go, it's a Shackleton, right...?

bestest,

M.

• Like 2

Just heard this today.

May I suggest that unless you are prepared to actually state your source and they are prepared to state there's - you get the picture - you stop dropping these conversational hand grenades and wait until there is an actual announcement. That way, these rumours (and that's all they are) will not grow like wild fire and modellers will not then be massively disappointed when they come to nothing (and they haven't sold off their precious collection on the back of each and every one, to boot).

Just a thought... ;)

Spence

• Like 11

My only concern about this is would Airfix sell enough to make a profit? I think it's a bit "niche" myself. I don't think many people would be that interested and it's a bit too big for an impulse buy. I can see myself picking up a Swift on the off-chance but I'd have to really want to build a Shackleton before I'd buy one.

I may be wrong but I understand the Nimrod wasn't a massive success. I wouldn't want Airfix to lose money and end up with financial problems.

Stuart

• Like 1

My only concern about this is would Airfix sell enough to make a profit? I think it's a bit "niche" myself. I don't think many people would be that interested and it's a bit too big for an impulse buy. I can see myself picking up a Swift on the off-chance but I'd have to really want to build a Shackleton before I'd buy one.

I may be wrong but I understand the Nimrod wasn't a massive success. I wouldn't want Airfix to lose money and end up with financial problems.

Stuart

You may be right Stuart but, I do not think Messrs Airfix would embark on such a project unless they were reasonably sure of a return on their investment. One could just as easily use the "niche" argument against the Supermarine Swift , It was after all only produced in limited numbers after a very protracted development period. It saw no action and served only with one air force. It was hardly an outstanding example of of British aviation development. The Shackleton on the other hand is, I venture to suggest, an aircraft with which many more people will be familiar over its long service history?

I think you are right about the Nimrod not being a great success apparently but, I think every manufacturer experiences this from time to time. I was personally rather disappointed with this kit as, I considered it over priced and under detailed. The very poor quality decals didn't help either. I do really want a Shackleton by the way . In fact, I'd like one of EACH mark to enter service!! :D .I'd certainly buy them in preference to a Swift but, that's just me!! :lol:

In the meantime, I think Spence's comment is very sensible and unless or until we get solid confirmation there's no point in modellers working themselves into a frenzy of speculation.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Proof or it didn't happen.

None of this "I know someone who knows someone" crap.

Edit

Isn't this why there's a rumour monger section, shouldn't this post be there?

Edited by venomvixen
  • Like 5