Roden 1/72 SE5a, Captain J I T "Taffy" Jones, 74 Squadron

It actually looks a little bit better in real life, he said, lamely.

Too anxious to work on it more tonight, and I expect that, one way or another, I'll be too drunk to do anything tomorrow night. But I'm taking Friday off, so perhaps progress then.

10599260_852842624740551_262490209338765

10629738_852842634740550_134583373666226

• Like 2

Brilliant work. Really like the rigging on the Camel. The se5a is looking the dog's too. The linen coat on the wings really sets it off. Reference your comment about it looking better in real life, I think it's due to the lighting which doesn't do the green justice.

On a personal note I'm sorry to hear about your father. Can only reiterate Stew Dapple's words. It's my dad's birthday today so my thoughts are with you.

Tom - I think you're right about the lighting: I model in a basement grotto, which though convenient for obscuring the true size of the stash, is heck on my cell phone's camera. Here she be in daylight:

10624984_853748424649971_11000837687853210486097_853748414649972_276452838734370

As you can see, I've added the Roden decals for the inspection panels in the wings and tailplanes. The difference in quality between these and the lovely Pheon decals is like night and day. They didn't want to settle, were thick, oh, it was awful, awful, I tell you. Pheon, on the other hand: dream. You can also note my incredibly cheap plastic lawn furniture on our tiny, truncated front deck, and the lush, long-unmowed grass of my lawn.

Thank you all for your kind words about my father. I've been quite depressed this week, but am feeling immensely better now. If indeed my father has cancer, it's been detected early enough that they can intervene medically with a high chance of success, and if he doesn't, well, so much the better!

The Camel, I sadly must report, has suffered a disaster: while trimming the rigging, I forgot that not all of it was glued, and much of it came undone. While cleverly attempting to remove a recalcitrant remaining strand with my teeth (I am a clear thinker in times of strife), I managed to wrench the wings apart and lose a strut. I'm not unduly worried, as Roden kits are cheaply obtained here, and I have a second Camel, but it was another growth experience.

• Like 1

So, thanks to a series of frustrating misadventures, I ended up putting the top wing and interplane struts on. The cabanes I'll have to insert later, which I'm sure will be fun. Roden's cabanes don't actually have any locating pins, although they should, which is a more than minor annoyance. After knocking the interplane struts off five or six times, I just said to hell with it and put on the wing. I also started rigging, which was not a great idea, but you gotta start sometime. This is not the best order of operations to rig in.

10670137_853854341306046_707526668605241

199001_853854361306044_17579613521159618

• Like 3

The rigging is now about half-done. Slightly less, if I add the side rigging to the cabanes. I'm not doing the very small lines that come off the ailerons and elevators, because the very small projections the lines pass over aren't molded on the kit and I'm much, much too cheap to fork over nearly twice the model's cost for a PE set. I had contemplated trying to stretch sprue and making them thus, but I couldn't get it thin enough and anyway my innate fear of fire is strong.

So far, I feel like I'm now qualified to weigh in on some of the pros and cons of EZ-line and invisible mending thread from the perspective of an adventurous-when-fueled-by-strong-drink-but-below-average modeller.

There's no question that the nylon invisible mending thread imparts a good deal more structural strength to a kit; indeed, on the Camel, I first rigged it and then glued the wings in place. That wouldn't be possible with EZ -line, which is skittish and can be tugged out by an errant hand, causing a stream of language which might, if not carefully directed, melt the kit you're working on. The invisible mending thread is harder to tension, however, since it has no elasticity, and at 0.1mm, it doesn't bend as sharply as EZ-line. EZ-line also, despite the claims of the manufacturer, definitely can and does fray. Not cool when it happens. EZ-line, however, is much, much easier to add as an afterthought, a huge and decisive advantage if you are, like me, prone to getting well ahead of yourself and not very good at planning.

10665136_854190357939111_218106417359728

• Like 1

The last decals are drying now, and tomorrow, sunlight providing, I'll snap some shots for the gallery.

There are about a million things wrong with this build, and some of them are even visible in this photo. But this is probably the first model I've built since starting up the hobby four years ago that I'm genuinely proud of. I tried my absolute hardest on this, and [warning, emotional, overwrought bit coming up] in its wholly insignificant way, I hope it serves as a tribute not only to Jones, who is one of my heroes and who was a brave and good man, but also to all the thousands upon thousands of Britons stolen by the war and the war which came after. Our love for the dead is a heavy and unwieldy thing; it's hard to make manifest, but with us always. For my own part, scarcely a day goes by when I don't think of them.

10712980_854265081264972_840399560032278

• Like 4