Roden 1/72 SE5a, Captain J I T "Taffy" Jones, 74 Squadron

Unfortunately, it seems that all the above referances to underwing rib tapes are going in the wrong direction when refering to PC10 covered upper surfaces. The dark ribs would be correct with CDL covered wings (the ribs showing as shadows), but when they were covered with PC10, the ribs actually appeared lighter.

My simple method would be to paint the wing undersides white, mask the ribs and spray CDL, then remove the masking and spray CDL again, leaving the ribs slightly lighter. Here are 2 pics, of the IWM Camel and BE2, that back up this post:

006-20.jpg

003-50.jpg

These aircraft are next to each other in the IWM so the lighting is almost exactly the same.

Ian

• Like 1

I have been working on this a bit, along with a sacrificial Roden/Encore Models Sopwith Camel F.1 in the same scale to act as a sin-eater. The Camel journeys along in this life merrily, like the lilies of the field; it toils not, nor does it spin, but little does it know that it's being used in...animal testing! Don't tell the anti-vivisection society.

IMAG2128_zpsudenjccv.jpg

IMAG2132_zpsjixblk0w.jpg

IMAG2134_zpsxzkqosen.jpg

IMAG2138_zpsbbn5xbfi.jpg

IMAG2139_zps0c8fgaos.jpg

IMAG2140_zpskou6lozs.jpg

I followed Old Man's suggestion for the undersides of the wings, and it worked very nicely, imparting a lovely subtle effect. Old Man, I am in your debt.

IMAG2141_zpscopwcvcc.jpg

Some wholly superfluous alcladding:

IMAG2146_zpsyoybir3v.jpg

Alclad and a Citadel wash:

IMAG2153_zpsrmok3dtp.jpg

IMAG2157_zpskeoe9t42.jpg

Erm, I know these are mostly of the Camel, but that's where we are right now. I'm about to attach her upper wing and (gulp) start rigging. I tried to begin last night, but it turns out that under most lighting conditions, I can't, uh, actually see the Uschi superfine rigging thread, and that it's very very difficult to control even when I can. I've ordered some fine EZ Line off of ebay, and we'll see if that works any better.

• Like 3

That Camel is looking very nice indeed PC; I imagine that me recommending V M Yeates' Winged Victory to you would be pointless but if you have not read it then I do recommend it to you as the best book about air fighting I have ever read bar none; it left me with an enduring soft spot for the Camel as a side effect :wub:

The thought occurs that if the Ushi ultrafine thread is invisible, why not skip the rigging and just tell people that you have done it? :D

Anyway good progress mate, now onwards and upwards...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Here's the current status of the SE5a. I've pre-drilled holes for the rigging. My rigging diagrams weren't very good -- the Roden kit has none -- thanks guys! -- and the Encore Models boxing has a kind of abstruse one.

IMAG2172_zpscmnnikwm.jpg

Here's a rigging diagram for the 1/32 kit that I found, after the fact, of course:

SE.5a%20Page%2016.jpg

I think that anyone who does WW1 in 1/72 is a both a glutton for punishment and at the same time deserving of respect (even tho' there's a bit if a contradiction in simultaneously holding those two views).

I reckon you've been on the receiving end of some of that punishment PC - but you've got my respect and you're winning thro' - and which is more you are a Man my son (sorry RK) :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it once I got going. The major issue for me is that I have trouble puzzling out the best way to thread the line (I'm not a good three-dimensional thinker), which has resulted in some slackness here and there.

Just caught up with this thread. Excellent subject matter - my two favourite WWI fighters - coupled with an eloquent and educational build, notwithstanding your resilience. Lesser men would have folded, but you went on to rig the tail! Good tips for the canvas and wood effects too, and other input from posters.

My proud collection of WWI fighters long ago ascended the flight path to plastic heaven (but that's another story), so a major project to rebuild them all is on the reckoning. Question though: oh those Roden kits - are they really that bad? I've seen a few knocking about and fancy a crack at one of 'em. Don't mind roughing it a little bit, although given the hellish tooling by Lucifer himself, is it akin to some sort of Faustian pact with a model kit?

Roden kits, Sir, tend to be less than the sum of their parts, so to speak.

They look beautiful on the sprue, no question.

But you will run into practical difficulties. There will always be some fit issues. Nothing that cannot be overcome, but you cannot take anything on trust; if you proceed blithely on you will find yourself caught up short with something. Do lots of test fitting and preparation on mating surfaces. Try and keep a step or two ahead of the kit, and look for what might go wrong before you get there.

The only one that is a serious dog, that I know of, is their Fokker DVII. Fit on the lower wing is disastrously bad, fit on tail elements not much better, and the interplane struts are too long in front. Building one of these is more than a challenge.

I have done their Albatros DIII, their Bristol F2b (several times), their Camel, and their Nieuport 24, as well as their Fokker DVII. All build up to good models, if you are careful....

• Like 2

I've only previously built Roden's Fokker D.VII (build thread here, though I believe you need to register for it), and it was as Old Man said. I can't think of many kits that have challenged me more. So far -- so far! -- the Camel and SE.5a have been relatively uncomplicated, but I'm nowhere near done with either. I believe the SE has a reputation for either the interplane (wingy ones) or cabane (fuselage ones) struts being too long or too short, respectively, so imagine my anticipation. I thought I had heard something about the Camel's tail being weird, but no amount of googling turned anything up, so it may be relatively uncomplicated.

This is a very long-winded way of saying Old Man is entirely right, in my opinion.

• Like 1

This is only a test.

10616558_851507358207411_586566164374354

Tried something different on the prop for the Camel: Modelmaster wood acrylic over white primer, followed by Tamiya Clear Orange and then Clear Yellow:

10645210_851506791540801_659119198572432

Oh, and the actual kit for this GB:

1546130_851507348207412_3342079311078678

I'dve gotten more done this weekend, but my father may have prostate cancer and that and something something something adverse something nervous something the 18th have left me so depressed I've found it hard to accomplish anything at all.

• Like 1

Hi PC,

Your test and build subjects are both looking the business, and the props look nicely woody :coolio:

Sorry to hear about your Dad, but if it is still at the 'may have' stage rather than the 'has got' stage it would be best to put your worries on hold as far as you are able - and even if it gets to the 'has got' stage it is effectively treatable these days. The somethingsomethingsomething adverse something nervous something the 18th does sound pretty depressing though, I hope you can grit your teeth and battle through it (unless it is some kind of crumbling-tooth-syndrome in which case I suggest you battle through it but skip the gritting your teeth bit).

Cheers,

Stew

I tried EZ-line on the SE5a, but in my excitement I forgot that I hadn't given it a clear coat yet or applied decals. More fool me. I expect I'll have to remove this.

10632803_852026678155479_108017495604646

Feast your eyes on the sensual hands of a modeller.

• Like 1