Accurate Miniatures A36 in 1/48th Scale.Finished.

Alex Gordon

G'day Chums,

One of my little habits is to build multiples of kits with common colours in parallel.I'm a bit of a cheapskate and I find that I don't waste as much paint when spraying by doing this.I started this kt at the same time as my Mustang III and it is now at more or less the same state where it will go on to its own paint scheme.

First off the obligatory box piccie.This is the Italeri boxing of the kit.The plastic looks to be well moulded with crisp detail and the decals are to Italeri's usual standard.

y4m4BtD_26lm4A7apiJA79x1ypqepGCN4KOk8sYP

I started by spraying Humbrol 226 Interior Green onto the interior components.

y4mVVeQocxB9ZxLjlIk8ygKeoGcJyYiMhfpwDma3

The mould seam needed to be sanded off the tyres and the diamond tread pattern reinstating.Patience and a good sharp scalpel blade pressed on were the order of the day,

y4mDwDK2ngSZ4uBMO8Fwy6COV9YxFbdpsvtn5CYD

The glassware is a tad thick but very clear.

y4mV5T8s4Jfo1kRP9dxvmK__TM0Ze4OhhPrX0ROA

The relevant canopy parts were cut from the sprue.The sprue gates were cleaned up and the masking for paint began.The framing edges are represented by lightly engraved panel lines so a gentle burnishing with the point of a cocktail stick will reveal the line through the tape so that a gentle cut round with a new scalpel blade can be made.Done the right way the line will guide the blade and mistakes don't happen.This time it worked for me.The insides were masked as well.

y4m6Jy5ARyMnBcBGxNZeKaLT3L0eETYgBexwSzX6

Some of the interior components needed a spot of black paint,so when the green had dried the relevant bits were masked off ready.

y4mSFYFvN-lupNsmyAc6kGkp-xD1AkXP54lrTvhX

More soon chums.thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

Hello again Chums,

More progress to show on this one.The various boxes in the cockpit were brush painted matt black.The cowling parts were glued together.

y4mysEJT4GkjQUPrlPh2-AEvBFdqXHwYG9_5ncRc

The intake on the top of the cowling is just a hole into a cavity.I cut a piece of plastic card to blank this off.

y4mW3kndInwTh4Bszl91btX5rgjF839VzF9fWcCN

The new piece was then glued in and a shot of Interior Green was sprayed down the resulting channel.

y4mUQaC-ZukUiWSbIakmfmjfOaELyNYrvH1LuyLh

The aft glazing was fitted,the instrument panel decal was applied and the internal components made ready for fitting.

y4mcSack3fdsPXh-Y8a-_iu3XIq5pQYNaWaPCJEl

The dive brakes in the wings are see through.I cut four bits of plastic card to size,painted the appropriate areas Interior Green and glued them into place.

y4migUse_d5xKMwFsbJ5m7dl5gd27M_NnunS-HUG

The fuselage halves were taped together and glued.The interior components were fitted after the halves were put together.It's a bit of a fiddle to do but less so than trying to align them all while trying to mate up the two halves.The lower wing was then fitted.I have to say that the fit of all parts up to now was very good.

y4mhkGvXZ5yGg2Ck3LNM5xYHrRZ5iPiAvnAg6IsJ

The back wall where the cooling intake goes was painted matt black.

y4m9jWWrw_p2ZpAYeH-UW4zDaMygy5z4MutpwQmS

The cowling was fitted up and glued on,also the joint forward of the windscreen,which had been left unglued in case a spot of fettling was needed,was glued up.No fettling was needed in putting these bits together.

y4m7017__Bodl3QGfpWlWD_f64lc7fN2WmWYGDFe

I then started on fitting the wing upper surfaces.I first made the joint to the fuselage.This needed a little packing away from the lower wing to make it sit properly but it's easier to sort out a joint on the leading edge than it is to mess about with a step along the fuselage.

y4m8AbpCP0YAaVfk7kwDaqNFNblEkL8dPNHFjrEY

The propellor blade tips were sprayed with Humbrol 154 Insignia Yellow.

y4mtSKLBA_THT7sJDuwHOhocD4LhGfkeScUMV7ww

More soon chums,thanks all for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3

G'day Chums,

Mish,many thanks.

A little more progress to show.Having fixed the upper wing halves to the fuselage it was then time to sort out the warpage of the lower wing.

y4mtvtrJJCmpWB6B9zgq7hOEZX56IGKN-wU_Srzz

The wing components were progressively taped up and glued together working from the inner end outwards.They're about as good as I'm going to make them.

y4mDcMRNNY4iTcVO8ikANvqD9d64Rvd8rNHkqFF0

More soon chums.thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

Hello again Chums,

Mish,that certainly is some warpage but I've corrected worse than that using this method.

Further progress to show.The canopy was a bit of a game.The front portion wouldn't sit properly because the gunsight was in the way.I've also just noticed that the instrument panel decal doesn't line up with the detail on the panel itself.I think it's time I made a visit to the optician.

y4mwod3uLT0UfZ8shIXNX7s5WRbGNg78REsoISBe

Anyway,off came the gunsight,on went the windscreen where it should sit,back in went the gunsight and all was well.Then I offered up the side portion and found gaps at both edges.

y4mCgaa7FSmNhvun-8rN-0z1LzT2wzsaEMCrTdqQ

I just happened to have a few slivers of clear plastic sheet left over from a G scale railway station that I built recently.This stuff works with poly cement so I built up both edges with this stuff.

y4mq1Dwn1iSsJcfAef3Kx54rhPzkgulgwBvglrds

Thanks for looking in chums,more soon.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

G'day Chums,

Les,thanks old chum.This has been an interesting build so far,not a shake and bake but not a true horror.

Some more progress to show.The lamp compartment in the wing is just a hole.In the absence of any easily sourced photography I decided to just make a back wall for it and add something that sort of lampesque.I cut a piece of thin plastic card.

y4m3pYNKMLejQPXYYZCTqb5TxfAffx1EmAOqDqzJ

I then bent it around a suitable paintbrush handle and glued it in place.

y4mR0qvHK_HvF01_BSq8riTjGuialafI3_DBnabz

While that was setting I turned my attention to a couple of minor gaps at the inner end of the leading edge of the wing.A couple of suitably short lengths of stretched sprue were glued in.

y4m7Y399Eh3xhLuD8s3YXO9ezwp1e9NOcA0YuVyG

On the real thing the inner maingear doors had a mechanical uplock and so stayed shut on a parked aircraft.I glued the door panels in place.It seems a shame to hide all that detail but I'm all for an easy life.These went in with no fettling at all.Lovely.

y4m15bV7r2yJxhAcOweBDRabNt5-6OkwmNz3-6WP

The panel aft of the radiator is supplied as a separate part.This was glued into place and found to have a nice big juicy awkward to reach joint that needed filling.

y4mL6MU_mhN1foJAW4hIH6-fCM7-j9Gc1y-97bS3

So fill it we did,shaping and smoothing and all.Milliput is splendid stuff to work with when you can get at it.This took two goes to sort out.

y4mJTWnaUzyZk41eDzAFYTWRKsx93ZeYLimqdTm5

The canopy side was fitted.The clear plastic card method would have worked perfectly if I had glued it all together properly.A wipe of milliput sorted it all out.

y4mwG2hEthdSEmUwJT7xLOdjqQGhgccJZ8murie1

More soon chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3

Hello again Chums,

A bit more progress to show.A short length of round clear sprue was let into a hole drilled into the new backing.The edge of the clear part was painted black before the cover was fitted.

y4mDdSbX9nU13LgUWakSnIDLMmm6Rnr9Huu7nKKr

This was then masked off and the underside made ready for paint.

y4mGJ29TMusL4BTIgO3Nkxqx8t7bZYRC5hzwuCVD

Humbrol 125 was used for the Neutral Gray underside colour with some gloss varnish added to make decalling easier later on.

y4mr9E4jUmwy4IbijZ6wKBCssN8GFcrmvW1T7XPW

Once dry the underside was masked off for the upper side colour.

y4mMYQRcSoXLLNl9yS1Lv3NZ8qP6C8XHbBHpjjTm

About three years ago I was building the Airfix B26.My tin of 155 had gone to rags but there was just enough to make a colour chip so that my local hardware shop could custom mix a replacement.The base for this was a Berger gloss.I went for gloss because it doesn't darken when it is overcoated with varnish,something that used to irritate me.This custom mix was used here.

The paint guide in the instructions shows various bits that look like overpainted markings after a change of ownership.The aircraft I am depicting is in an American paint scheme with theatre markings taken on and operated by the RAF.I elaborated slightly on the kit paint guide regarding the wing markings.Masks were cut using the decals as a guide.

y4m3aPiqRxS4YzdX2_XQ-TzNDpXFR2zBi0EXFvRf

The aircraft was based in Italy in 1943 so,by my reckoning,RAF Dark Green would have been available.I used Humbrol 163 for the upper surface bits.

y4m-oujI6EESqY3dXilBybtdhHgyjFx-D1KFKVGI

The underside was then masked off appropriately.

y4mfALeVQ-7lv9abeD6sGkK0qDA3ACtP-qFTJTLS

These were then treated to a drop of Humbrol 165 Medium Sea Grey,on the same premise that it too would have been available.

y4mGCpfVpmutrJy9m6DjPytKO56yqfRR4zA-Il12

The propellor blade tips were masked off and the blades painted matt black.

y4m54t4yKYqaXWdUjKtzIPPCZA_N08GfqKwcnLll

The decals went on a treat.They looked to be a bit heavy on first inspection but a drop of Klear underneath each one made them settle into all the surface detail with no problems at all.This piccie doesn't show this too well,unfortunately.

y4mzlZdXlL0jz5PNB01wubDB89a7jQq4yZrA6PGE

Anyway,these were left to set properly for a couple of days.Matt varnish and weathering next.

More soon chums,thanks for looking.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Chums,

Nearly there with this one.The various gun barrels and muzzles were made ready for a coat of matt black paint.

y4mcMw2Orht8JijKz578seoHNaHva6C_oeqP5_kq

I wasn't too keen on the pitot probe so I made a new one from a length of telephone wire.With a little fettling it'll look a lot sharper and be less prone to being broken off.Guess what happened to the fin bit just after I took this piccie?Ah well,the shape wasn't quite right anyway.

y4m7IEi0-EL2kXwWvjQb9g1sMffjnK0mTqEAG7Yo

The kit supplies the sway braces as a part of the bomb mouldings.I'm not yet sure if I'm going to fit anything on the hardpoints so I thought,being as there is a surfeit of spares in the Hasegawa kit,I'd pinch a few.

y4meS-EIcm3DILPyGMTv2sbwG2SDv_joqsGRBVAl

The nose machine gun barrels were fitted.You may be wondering why there is a tag of masking tape around each one.These bits are just begging to be lost forever inside the fuselage with absolutely no hope whatsoever of being recovered.They would also be a pain to replicate.Best not to lose them thought I and made them impossible to drop completely through the hole.

y4m-e3KS8Hkekc4FrilhslleSWFLOdP9mfstjE4d

More soon chums,thanks for looking.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

Gosh this was my original choice for the GB, as I wanted to build something different....which I managed too.

I just so hope you finish this one, we just can't have a Mustang STGB without one...and this ones a beauty!! :thumbsup:

Hello again Chums,

Rich,only just made it.

After an unseemly flurry of paint,glue and "what else have I forgotten?" all the work I'm going to do on this one is done,so I'm calling this one finished.

y4mteTGSMwmHZVG8izk68IQnPg0HcBE-Jwr6KG4E

y4mI332kbM7q4sUp-pbCCMtzEG1EtDAbrQDEpV5L

y4mrSfuY-wwHlqdvrBM2-R6WMbvzPHvZwLjYmHku

y4mU4ia4OrAQSMjixxaVUII2Fd2ixnCdo9O0SbyA

y4mBegvAuN_sJvpyTxRJgemgipxECYF5wzdtvU_9

y4mmK372XFvtATYgbVTF75-lHS4UkSd7H_281VKT

y4mEIRF7_clFt__6BJHpxpiq3-97NdN2TSUcoD3K

y4myhPwNa0awkYrWmO5nq277UyM6-Pzqa_bfSmE4

y4mvQqorakr0WaTp43TUpKTm5hTHwkQ34glgDaoL

My thanks to Mish for doing her bit and to Les,Rich and Bob for doing their bit and to everyone who looked in for your comment and encouragement.

Cheers all.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Replace Photobucket URLs.
  • Like 2

Weird fit problems caused by warping there. I built this when it was new, in the Accurate Min original production run, and it just fell together. Still, your finished model shows none of the signs of the problems it caused you, so all's well that ends well/