P-51B -"Tommy's Dad" - ICM 1/48 Scale ++++ Completed ++++

Bonhoff

Hi all,

Building ICM's rendition of the Mustang, purchased 2nd hand with additional figures for £8!

I've progressed a bit but here's the box shot, along with a partially taped together airframe as I got a bit carried away....

15084297155_d00abf9b41.jpg

Edited by Bonhoff
  • Like 1

Step 1: Following the kit instructions I airbrushed Humbrol 81 acrylic over primer on the main interior parts.

Contrary to most other peoples experience I didn't have any trouble with airbrushing Humbrol - Although I was using Vallejo airbrush thinner as I didn't have any Humbrol to hand.

14897736677_a47c00461f.jpg

Bit of detail picking out and I'm sure it'll be done in no time....

• Like 1

Step 2: After reading up a bit on the subject, it transpires that the cockpit should be Interior Green....

Off I toddle to Hobbycraft for some Humbrol 226 and their thinners.

Thinned new paint down with thinners and sprayed. An hour or two later it still hasn't dried.... Thought one of the advantages of acrylic paint was its faster drying time? Left everything to dry overnight.

Next evening I put another coat on using Vallejo thinners, much better thank you!

• Like 1

Step 3: Sidewall detail added and painted, cockpit floor (Yes, I know it's based on the wrong type of P-51) worked, washes applied, drybrush etc etc

And now for a warning.

I didn't notice that there is a clash between the locating brackets for the seat on the sidewall detal and on the seat back. Photo attached to explain where, cocktail stick points to lug which needs removing.

14897604029_63df0ac19a.jpg

Edited by Bonhoff
  • Like 1

Step 4: Here we have the instrument panel.

14897714658_ba4798cd50.jpg

Reference was made to the interweb for instrument colours and panel detail

Some fettling was required so it would fit under the coaming so some plastic was removed where indicated.

You may also need to take a little bit off the framing at the front of the cockpit like I did, once again follow the cocktail stick,

15083937682_7b9f297096.jpg

And here's the cockpit just before installation

14897734847_4af6fded3e.jpg

• Like 1

Step 5: Here's where we are now.

14981746260_bb4f7344b0.jpg

I got a bit overexcited and slapped it together without taking any photo's

Despite alledgedly resembling the Tamiya kit the fit wasn't brilliant, it needed a few extra bits of plasticard to locate the cockpit in the right place, there aren't any locating pins to speak of and the wings were a bit wonky to start off with, needed some minor sanding where the fuselage meets the wings. Mr Surfacer is also in evidence along most of the major joints.

One further bit of advice - when you glue the upper wings on leave the last bit of the trailing edge unstuck until you come to mate the wings to the fuselage, then you can adjust as necessary before final gluing.

15145377696_41e09f5208.jpg

The junction between the front of the wing section and the fuselage took some persuasion - and superglue

Still enjoying the build but looking forward to the Tamiya P-51D even more now

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a bit of time sorting the canopy, the rear windows turned out to be a little wide where the back of the canopy meets them, eventually wrestled canopy into place then masked it up.

15084277527_64c8c7cfa8.jpg

Then onto priming. The little Mustang is Revell's "Micro Kit" version in 1/144th

15247836576_0a6db3240d.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks all,

Step 7: Preshade...

15115220827_889bc61df0.jpg

15301781885_affb3b19a4.jpg

and Paint...

15278731406_67c49d2ba3.jpg

15301781475_38855c0947.jpg

After much cross referencing and soul searching I went with Tamiya's Neutral Grey and Olive Drab - Not sure if the OD is correct but WTH no-one else chez Bonhoff will know the difference.

As I'd got some paint left the 1/144th one got a coat as well - another Glamourous Glen for my 1/144 Yeager themed collection.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Mustang now varnished and now waiting for the Klear to dry prior to putting decals on.

As I've not built an ICM kit before, can someone advise me as to whether the kit supplied decals will work OK or are they likely to break up on contact with water?

TIA

Thanks GB.

Applied some decals tonight. Took things very carefully.

15177375709_2b6356b4c5.jpg

Started with one of the national markings, soaked it for what seemed a lifetime and then very carefully slid it off the backing paper into a pool of Johnson's floor polish (Formerly Klear) on the model. Managed to get it located without too much trouble.

Then the little red marking that goes on the port flap. Once again, soaked but a tiny bit of decal broke off. Got it on model and located OK.

Things then got interesting. The number 40 for the fin broke into a 4 and a 0 but located OK.

Time for "Tommy's Dad" which broke into several pieces but with some effort I managed to sort it, although some touching up may be required.

Did another national marking then gave up for the night.

Problem seems to be that the carrier film is a bit too weak. I've just put a coat of future on top of the decals to try and reinforce it a bit.

• Like 1

Thanks.

15186999500_f9a9e626ed.jpg

My next attempt was with the "Kill" indicators and given that my luck seemed to be running out with these decals, it was inevitable that I ended up with 19 little flags to fit individually when the decal broke up.

The Future also seems to have reacted with the water and left a deposit around the flags so I guess it'll be out with the Olive Drab and a fine paint brush.

Did the last two roundels and the number 40 on the other side, then tried a stencil which promptly disintegrated.....

So I think we'll call this part of the build done!!

Would recommend aftermarket decals for anyone with this kit which makes the price difference between this and the Tamiya a whole lot less.

Edited by Bonhoff
  • Like 1

Well - It's finished... Almost.

15452237085_c1e31686f3.jpg

Had to forego the matt coat as the weekend threw some curve balls into the plans and had to finish in a hurry!!

Overall I've enjoyed the build (Apart from the decals) but looking forward to the Tamiya one moreso.

More pics in the Gallery

Regards

IanJ