O gauge Mallard. Hachette partworks.

Hi folks,

I'm sure many have spotted the t.v advert for the Hachette partworks Mallard. Anyone planning on buying it?

I saw on their webpage that it is conjunction with DJH so should be pretty good.

Trouble is, it could cost as much as a grand.... :blink:

I'd love an O gauge static model A4 Pacific on my mantlepiece but I'm not sure I can justify that kind of expense -_- , even if it is spread over many months.

As a comparison, a DJH A3 would cost £540:00 in today's money but you might have to buy wheels on top of that. (The A4 does n't appear on the DJH website).

When the Flying Scotsman came out as a partwork that too was DJH kit and if purchased form the maunfaturer was a good deal cheaper. OK, you got the magazine/booklet with each release of parts. I do suspect the Mallard too will be more expensive, however with our exchange rate being almost 18:1 with the UK Pound I think as much as I love the subject will have to pass on it.

Colin

• Like 1

For a grand, you can have a very impress 00 or N gauge railways

Most part works like these are beyond the average builder, so I wonder who the hell they sell these model part works too.

I bought the illustrated History of Aircraft, it was originally 12 volumes, extended to 18, the duration of the print run lasted longer than my first marriage. :)

I'll stick to my N Gauge layout, Which grows weekly too ;)

Dave

• Like 1

Hi guys, not too many takers then?

I bought the first issue for 50p but there are 130 issues in total so it comes in at over a grand

It's alot of dough but it will be an impressive model. I'm sure it would be possible to motorize it and run it on a model railway if that was a desire.

If you fancy posting any photos of the parts as you go, please do.

I have n't bought any issues but I'd very much like to. It's just the thought of 130 parts at £7:99 each..... :weep:

Apparently this breaks down to about £32 a month as the issues are clumped together and dispatched once a month if you take up the subscription.

An "O" gauge A4 though.....imagine the super-detailling possibilities....... :Tasty:

I've just had a look on a couple of the model railway websites, comments are not encouraging. Shame, with the subject matter it could have been so good.

At least with a bit of surfing, I've saved myself a fortune.

Colin

If you fancy posting any photos of the parts as you go, please do.

Thanks Geedubelyer,

I've not decided wether to go for it yet but I have assembled the parts I have in issue one and here are my findings. I can add photos of my progress later.

The fit of the parts is very good although the vertical sides of the cab were a little tricky to bend into shape. This is due to the thickness of the brass. I got a little distortion around the windows when I bent it due to the lack of supporting brass round the openings. I managed to straighten it out but I think I need to invest in a bigger etch folding tool than the one I have if I decide to continue with this.

I soldered my cab but the kit parts are coated in a clear lacquer to aid in assembly with superglue which needs cleaning off if you solder the model. I sanded it off with wet and dry in the areas I needed to solder but it wasn't ideal so I would need to find a way of removing the clear lacquer should i choose to subscribe.

My dad picked up part 2 for me over the weekend and this comes with the front of the boiler and valences. These are die cast metal which has a coat of grey primer. The paint has been applied quite thickly which has made the raised detail less prominent. I might have to strip the paint off and reapply. You also get some lamp irons in white metal but the screws that should have been supplied were missing in my issue.

My first impression on the quality of the parts is very good but while the painting and lacquering of the parts may be of help to anyone who is using super glue to assemble the model it makes for extra work for anyone choosing to solder their model.

Hope this info is of help to anyone considering this model. Pics to follow later.....

Edited by FZ6

As promised, here are some pics of the model so far. I've not glued the washout plugs in yet or the window frames at the front of the cab

Mallard001_zpsfd8ad5b2.jpg

Mallard002_zps85474939.jpg

These are the parts from issue two. As you can see the paint is a little on the thick side..... As these parts are die cast the holes you have to drill will take some time and wear out a few drill bits maybe. Not sure if I should strip the primer off or not....

Mallard003_zps90c84444.jpg

Mallard004_zps0c72caac.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

This part work, has just hit our shores (South Africa), first part two quid then two Pounds seventy thereafter. I though I'd subscribe for two copies build 'em both simultaneously, then sell the one and recover my costs. I'm sure there's enough interest down here to warrant it. However the question si, is the kit worth it. Modelling skills I have aplenty so no worries there. We have to subsribe down here or there is no guarantee of gettign all the issues!!!

Colin

I ended up purchasing the first four issues and after remaining undecded I subscribed a few weeks ago. My first batch off issues arrived last week. I hope they start to package them a bit better as some of the parts on mine including the frames have been bent due to the post man forcing them through the letter box.

If you plan to solder you'll need to remove the laquer that coats the brass parts first.

However the question si, is the kit worth it. Modelling skills I have aplenty so no worries there. We have to subsribe down here or there is no guarantee of gettign all the issues!!!

Colin

The kit is expensive and buying an A4 from DJH would probably be cheaper but this way it's less painful to pay out this way than in one go and you get instructions that are easy to follow.

Regards,

Mark

I'd love to see your progress on this one Mark, as the Mallard is a favourite of mine. What would you be using to strip the primer? Is it acrylic or enamel/lacquer? :)

• Like 1

I'd love to see your progress on this one Mark, as the Mallard is a favourite of mine. What would you be using to strip the primer? Is it acrylic or enamel/lacquer? :)

Hi Mike, if you go onto rmweb.co.uk there is a quite well advanced build by someone who looks like he knows a bit about the subject.

Colin

• Like 1

Hi Mike, if you go onto rmweb.co.uk there is a quite well advanced build by someone who looks like he knows a bit about the subject.

Colin

There is indeed hes doing great with it. I have been taking notes myself. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Colin

I'd like to have a look at that. Do you have a direct link please Colin? Navigating their forum is beyond me.... :banghead:

Interesting findings Mark, thanks for sharing your progress.

Edited by geedubelyer