Canberra B(I)8 ever taxi with canopy open?

maxdecal

Hi folks,

I'm planning a diorama featuring a Canberra B(I)8 being marshalled on to a parking spot on the ramp. Did pilots ever taxi the B(I)8 with the canopy open? Also, what is the resting position of the Canberra elevators assuming hydraulic pressure has bled down after a few hours?

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks for the info. Really helpful and quite amazing that the canopy couldn't be opened on the B(I)8. Must have got really hot in there! the diorama I'm planning features an Indian Af Canberra taxiing past a wrecked Katanga Fouga Magister in the Congo in Sept 1961.

Cheers,

Joe

• Like 3

Great idea for a different scheme. Good job somebody makes Katanga decals for the Magister :winkgrin:

If she's taxiing then the bleed off will be irrelevant as the system would be up to pressure and the pre-flight should have moved all the surfaces anyway.

• Like 1

At rest with no elevator locks in the Canberra elevators are up. The T.4 at rest has the elevators down because it has the stick locked forwards in the cockpit to allow for the swing seat to move . Taxying the pilot will be holding the stick and so the elevators will be relatively neutral. Pilots access on the B(I).8 was through the side door.

John.

The T.4 at rest has the elevators down because it has the stick locked forwards in the cockpit to allow for the swing seat to move . Pilots access on the B(I).8 was through the side door.

John.

I heard a rumour that pilot access to the T4 was difficult, and the recommendation was to make it impossible! ;-)

• Like 1

I heard a rumour that pilot access to the T4 was difficult, and the recommendation was to make it impossible! ;-)

The T4 was unpopular with crews as the student pilot sometimes had to climb through the door over the instructor to get to his seat rather than everyone unstrapping and getting out.

A famous story was told of a canberra OCU QFI who was being checked out in a T4 by a chap from the RAF Central Flying School. He had had a particularly fraught time on his checkout trip, the CFS trapper had given him the works, and as he taxied down a slope onto the pan, (which at this time only had one other T4 on it) the CFS man threw his last inject in:

"Your brakes have failed, what are your actions?"

Answer: "open the throttles wide and take out two of the B****y things!"

Selwyn

• Like 1