1/72 firefighting aircraft

thomastmcc

Not quite the answer to the question posed, but...

Zvezda do the Disney planes collection in 1/100. I think they're easy build kits (was it on here that someone did a Fleet Air Arm 'Skipper' [Who is an F4U-1 for those without small people...]?) I saw a 'Dipper' kit in Ian Allan in Birmingham last Saturday.

My cunning plan is that when old enough, the Planes fan XV Jr will build the Zvezda kits while Daddy does the real life versions...

I mention this just in case the prospect of doing the actual aircraft from the film appeals (and, of course, Dipper and Blade are amalgamations of aircraft types.

• Like 1

Not quite the answer to the question posed, but...

Zvezda do the Disney planes collection in 1/100. I think they're easy build kits (was it on here that someone did a Fleet Air Arm 'Skipper' [Who is an F4U-1 for those without small people...]?) I saw a 'Dipper' kit in Ian Allan in Birmingham last Saturday.

My cunning plan is that when old enough, the Planes fan XV Jr will build the Zvezda kits while Daddy does the real life versions...

I mention this just in case the prospect of doing the actual aircraft from the film appeals (and, of course, Dipper and Blade are amalgamations of aircraft types.

yeah i was thinking what dipper and blade were ... blade a bell 222 ..

Some decals out there to make a firebomber or two.

http://www.syhartdecal.fr/references.php?lang=ENG&ref=72/144-913&page=description

Part one in this series is for the CL-415 and Lockheed C-130 - both are available in 1/144 and 1/172

Previously mentioned Mike West at Lonestar Models has a few decals as well as the conversions.

http://www.lonestarmodels.com/Decals.html scroll down the page to the tankers & spotters

Draw Decals (also in the USA) have a firebomber line.

http://www.shopdrawdecal.com/searchresults.asp?cat=2184

Some of the markings require kit modifications (like the turbo Trackers and Tigercats), but there conversions are out there.

Now if it's a weekend project, Minicraft issued their 1/144 DC-6 in Conair firebomber markings you might find on-line or at Ebay.

Going back to the question of the aircraft types which the characters are based upon, Dipper is a Grumman Goose (specifically the McKinnon G-21C or G-21D versions) with some hints of the Grumman Widgeon, while Blade Ranger is largely an AW139, albeit with a different tail which seems to be based upon either the A109 or the Bell 222/430, with the slightly more curvy profile of bits of Blade's fuselage suggesting either artistic licence or a degree of influence from the Bell types.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The Heller CL-215 on which their 415 is based was already touched in passing, but Heller also did a Securité Civile water bomber boxing of their DC-6.

The water bomber CL-215 and DC-6 were molded in an eye watering shade of yellow...

Not a 'huge boom' - but pipes to be lowered to suck up water from the hover......

day_06_44.jpg

Taken in 2005.

Ken

Perhaps big frame agricultural thingy would have been a better description Ken :whistle:

I crawled underneath her to photograph the frame and associated pipework.The guide thought I was mad.

There was an Australian (?) modeller going to build this and after I e-mailed the pics I'm damned if I can find them again.

Would have loved to see this beast in action.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

And don't forget this one:

Revell of Germany

http://www.revell.com/germany/aircraft/80-4998.html#.V7hH3mf6thw

1/72 Canadair CL-415 Plastic Model Kit

Product ID: 80-4998

Overview
Skill level: 4
Scale: 1:72
Length: 278 mm
Parts: 118

Description
Here's the scoop
US $29.43

Fighting raging forest fires isn't easy, but it's a lot easier when you can drop nearly seven tons (6,000 kg) of water from the air. The turboprop-powered Canadair CL-415 is capable of flying up to 1,518 miles (2,443 km), skimming the surface of large bodies of water, and flying over the hottest part of the fire to deliver a torrential soaking. Kit features detailed cockpit with control column and seats, interior with imitation tank, detailed nose and main under-carriage, pontoons under the wings, rotating propeller, antennae, optional ladder, and Canadian decals.

Got one in my stash...

SPGhost