Revell 1/48th RAF Tornado GR1A.......

GJ-Tornado-002.JPG

I know they are famed for being patchy but its amazing how even on this focused area of the airframe how many shades of grey there are, They must have used a mix of Humbrol, Halfords, Testors, Xtracylix, MrColor, Vallejo, Precision Paints, "Matched" Colours to get it that right lol. (No wait its trick of the camera) haha.

Is she missing a few Rivets too or is she kitted out with tiddly winks.

I saw this kit yesterday on the shelf for 22.99 and the 1/32 Hunter for 26.99 ,,,, Agony of choice

"Is she missing a few Rivets too or is she kitted out with tiddly winks."

Are you referring to the fasteners at either end of the dark coloured antenna on the upper surface of the glove?

Looking at the pic these are countersunk washers which are used to spread the load of a countersunk screw over a larger area, or can be used when the hole on the panel becomes worn through repeated removal and installation of fasteners, especially on regularly removed service panels.

Nice to see so many shades of grey, don't think I'll fret too much over how accurate my colour choices are in future.

Eng

• Like 1

The cockpit coaming is now pretty well done, just need a bit more detail on the HUD mounts and then it can be sprayed and weathered. Finding good photos of the forward end of the coaming was difficult but after a lot of searching I managed to find a few. I've seen a lot of conflicting info about the inspection holes for the foot brake accumulators and demist pipes, some say there weren't any, some say one hole, others two, no demister pipes (though how the system was fed is a mystery), no plates, etc...but the photos I found seem to indicate that these were all present, at least on the IDS, ECR, GR4 and F3 so I can't believe it wasn't the same for the GR1A.

Hard to make out but you can see the pipe appear to disappear into the framing on this GR4,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_refueling#mediaviewer/File:GR4_VC10.jpg

GR4 from our walkaround section, you have to strain your eyes but it is visible on both sides...

7d1b60f1-2dc6-4038-a2ad-61844cdb7ced_zps

Same here on a German IDS,

14e48643-afc5-4d50-b8ce-488aa5a1bcc5_zps

F3 bottom right photo...... you can see the pipes angling out to the screen frames.

http://www.tornadosig.com/f3t-walkaround-ze256.html

And finally the best close up shots of an Italian ECR, this page seems to take an age to load, (well for me anyway), but worth it as it shows everything clearly......

http://www.modellismopiu.it/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=22966&forum=49&start=170&viewmode=flat&order=0

So I went with the detail as it adds a lot more interest to the otherwise bland coaming area...Revell included nothing at all !

The holes and plate seem far up the coaming. This is due to Revell cleverly making the screen longer so that the forward end forms part of the fuselage making blending a lot easier !

The HUD glass, g-meter and AOA indicator will be added after painting....

DSC_0030_zps76bc2019.jpg

DSC_0033_zps3b460b3c.jpg

DSC_0040_zpsfc6879f2.jpg

Checking that nothing fowls the wind shield...

DSC_0041_zps1942403b.jpg

Cheers all,

Melchie...

• Like 10

Evening,

I've just had a flick through my copy of the new Haynes Manual book for the RAF Tornado by Ian Black, just on the off chance there is any good pics of the glareshield area, the best is a pic on pg85 (GR.4) and pg86 (ADV). These pics are from the cockpit side looking forward and are primarily of the instrument panels and don't show a massive amount of the very front edge of the windshield.

I have some Tornado F3 notes in my drawer at work that may have some drawings of this area in them, I'll have a look in the morning.

I can heartily recommend the Haynes book as a good general reference book on the Tornado and being written by Ian Black you know it's good info. There are one or two minor errors where captions don't tie up with the pics but if you know your stuff and just want plenty reference pics it's cool.

Keep up the good work, it's gonna be beautiful!!!!

Eng

Thanks Eng, appreciate the assist. I haven't seen the Haynes book yet but as you say if it's written by Ian Black then it'll be a good read. I had a long chat with him on the flightline at the last Mildenhall show that displayed the Lightning back in the eighties. What a nice, knowledgeable chap...gave us a great walk around of 'his' aeroplane, before taking it back to Binbrook.........great days..

Thanks folks, glad you like it...

The HUD is now finished....AoA unit and g-meter fitted. For the green lens I used the silver backing plate of a 2.5mm Little Cars lens and gave it a couple of coats of Tamiya clear green. To add depth to the piece I laminated the lens between two .5mm pre cut pieces of card which is sunk slightly into the top of the unit. The HUD glass was made from two pieces of .5mm clear acetate cut to shape and dipped twice in Klear.

Don't forget the switch panel to the left of the HUD on top of the coaming.

Cheers spike...I haven't included it as the GR1A's at that time didn't seem to have them fitted as seen here in a scan taken from the Verlinden book, (first part of the book is a walkaround of an RAFG 2(AC) squadron GR1A which is handy)

ScreenShot09-30-14at0157PM_zpsf555d9d4.j

The CRT and CRPMD wiring looms have been added now, the CRPMD ones don't follow the complete route down as very little will be seen once the seats are in place, the CRT ones will have more added once the seats are in place...

DSC_0063_zpscc204311.jpg

Also added the black covering material fitted to the rear bulkhead, more detail is needed here.

DSC_0061_zps0e9c0303.jpg

Following on from wasacops comments about the seat strap layout, (much appreciated), I've updated the seats accordingly using buckles from a generic RAF set. The seats have been dry fitted to ensure their height and distance from the instrument panels are correct before gluing them into place.....

DSC_0074_zps8f244064.jpg

DSC_0071_zps03e0cc8d.jpg

DSC_0072_zps17950656.jpg

The final bits of plumbing are in now just a bit of final detailing and weathering and then I can crack on with the undercarriage bays.....

DSC_0073_zps06e3f4b6.jpg

And I thought this would be a quick build !!..hmmm :banghead: , .....well at least Revell were kind enough to give me the basics to work with,

Cheers all..................now off to mow the garden to the accompaniment of some Joe Satriani..........much more relaxing.

Melchie...

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 11

Nice.

Early days yet I know, But,

Landing gear.

Memory says that two torque links

on the nose gear means a twin stick trainer....

That means that everyone is now checking their builds!

I think a couple of kits have been produced with the wrong leg.

As an aside. The NWS motor was the same one as the Phantom.

The part numbers were close too. The difference was the number

of cogs on the driveshaft. It would fit but did strange things during testing!

FYI:

IIRC - the original design of the Tornado had an extendable nose leg, (to give a better angle-of-attack for take off), which, by the time the production A/C came to be, was discarded as it was found not to be required - but they had made the NLG with twin shortening links to accommodate this design and so these were fitted to the original Tornado's.

Later NLG had only the single shortening link, on the forward face of the NLG - I have no idea when that MOD came about.

Cheers, Brian

Good choice of music too, I am just rehearsing flying in a blue dream again and Midnight.

I know you said you were going through those ready for the gig Rob........wish I could be there mate, really look forward to seeing you play live, good luck with it......

Pete.....yeah, pull the other one, poor chap, bet he was on overtime too........

Thanks for the info Brian, this sort of knowledge is what these forum's are all about...share the wealth ! It shows that it's well worth checking out individual aircraft to see which mods were accommodated...

Cheers all,

• Like 2

brilliant cockpit yer guvnership

I wish I'd got you to knock out a couple of chairs for a hellocoppeter of this parish after seeing the way you got them sorted ;)

Rob, when/whereever you are giggging mate, blow 'em away

You have the collective behind you :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I know you said you were going through those ready for the gig Rob........wish I could be there mate, really look forward to seeing you play live, good luck with it......

Pete.....yeah, pull the other one, poor chap, bet he was on overtime too........

Thanks for the info Brian, this sort of knowledge is what these forum's are all about...share the wealth ! It shows that it's well worth checking out individual aircraft to see which mods were accommodated...

Cheers all,

brilliant cockpit yer guvnership

I wish I'd got you to knock out a couple of chairs for a hellocoppeter of this parish after seeing the way you got them sorted ;)

Rob, when/whereever you are giggging mate, blow 'em away

You have the collective behind you :thumbsup:

Cheers guys I will need it, Its my first serious gig in about 7 years which is shocking in itself, Determined to do well and been trying very hard but life is cruel and I have come down with full body aching flu which stops anyone being at their best, I find it blocks my concentration and I keep making mistakes I have never made before, Determined to win I found Oolong tea shifts the virus after giving up with the bechams I had 4 cups of the oolong tea and now I feel much better so I hope I get it all nailed tomorrow.

At the drop of a hat I was asked by my mate up the pub could I play Caroline by Status Quo so I learned it on top of everything else and proud it only took 5 mins to work out, Then I decided to do something odd and add to the already diverse selection Micheal Jackson's Stranger in Moscow which I always loved, Difference is I will be replacing his Voice with Lead guitar for the medley with a few improvised solos, Just got to watch the key changes.

Apart from that its the usual, Whitesnake, Van Halen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Garry Moore, Dire Straights, Vince DiCola, My own Music too and some other stuff,

I am hoping this will be the return for me to gigging which is what I should be doing. I am full of inspiration at the moment, Thinking about fusing all sorts of things into my music and the Modelling and Military elements off here are making me think of doing a Vai style or me style version of the Clanad theme they used to play with the Vulcan, Plus the Elgar music we hear played for WW2,

Shame you can't make it but in a way thats a good thing as it means I will have to do another gig.

The Tornado is coming along nicely, But how is the Bucc doing dare I ask ?

:fool:

cheers Rob

• Like 3