Revell 1/48th RAF Tornado GR1A.......

Thanks chaps appreciated,

now get on with the buccin Bucc or you will be loosing one or two of those bloody stripes on yer shoulder!!!

Stripes...stripes !!!....pips man, pips....good lord.....the young bucc is making slow progress but nothing too get excited about, (think of the Tornado as an interlude without the musac !). I got enough barracking from young Perdu yesterday at the Sutton Coldfield show..............threatened to bung a potato in his MG's exhaust pipe !

Thanks Shaun, yep...definitely a good idea to test fit everything at least 5 times....

And yep I did wonder when I test fitted the Airfix linescan pod, dug out a few books from the Melchett family memorial library and read about the fact that the GR1A's didn't carry a centreline pylon due to the linescan pod.......thanks,

Also something else that had been bothering me while looking at the kit, (as well as a couple at the Sutton show yesterday), that with the wings fully swept forward the sweep angle looks wrong ...........they look too swept in the fully forward position and so after checking 3 sets of reference plans I scaled the drawings to 1/48th and lo and behold the angle is incorrect. It should be 25 degrees but is more like 30, I thought it might just be me but a few others thought the same when I pointed it out.....

Not very scientific I know but as my printers run out of ink it'll have to do, but it does highlight the problem......unless there's something I've missed !!

(The model is held a few inches above the screen hence the wing length discrepancy but I'm really just showing the angle....),

P1170111_zpsd9e3860e.jpg

Moving them won't be a big issue and luckily the pylon points swivel, just have to get everything lines up......I'm not bothered about silly gimmicks like swinging wings, etc so cutting things up isn't a problem.....the only thing that concerns me are the inner ends of the wing, by the flaps have enough length to still sit inside the wing seals once the angle is corrected.... :hmmm:

M

• Like 3

Well I'd say its definitely wrong. It should be able to come more forward.

Other kits have the flaw the opposite way that the wings go too far forward. Maybe they tried to correct this. Shame

As the rest of the kit looks bang on. Wish I had picked one up yesterday now can't think why I didn't. (Slaps head)

Thanks Crustyfella...glad you like it..

Rob, yep, when I got back I broke out the protractor, ruler and wax crayons....

This is how it looks with the angle corrected, obviously the lips need to be removed so that the brace will fit properly, it's not a lot but the wing angle looks a lot more accurate for it........... The inner wing area just fits into the wing seals which is good !!

P1170116_zps9b76894a.jpg

The forward lip is the only issue which can easily be modded......it's best to use the brace as though the swing wing doesn't matter it adds to the overall strength of the whole unit...

Rob....I was wondering why you didn't get one !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yea it's just never occurred to me to buy it. Trouble

With these shows is you get the feeling its never gonna end and you think "I'll pop back in a bit and get it" then before you know it its

Packing up time !, I can't wait for Telford and the 2 days makes it so much better. I wish more shows were 2 day particularly Cosford.

Nice work on the wing angle looks much better now.

Rob :)

I can't wait for Telford and the 2 days makes it so much better.

Err..... actually it just goes twice as quickly !!..........I should have got some of those lovely resin bases too...hey ho !

The top lips of the brace have been cut away and the circular ends sanded for best fit,

P1170126_zps4f7baffe.jpg

Now looks more like the real thing with a more accurate sweep angle......might add a bit more inner wing, not sure yet as it's only dry fitted....

P1170125_zps086e4e0d.jpg

• Like 2

Ah Mr Rehab Pete.....the engine fettlers will be out in force SOOn, have no fear, in fact you Corbett your life on it !, hopefully it'll fit like a glove....

Well I decided to err on the side of caution and add small extensions to the inner wing areas made from a bit of spare resin...(ta Rob, told you it wouldn't take long to find a home for it !!)..

P1170127_zps9dd0c5ce.jpg

And fitted together...

P1170128_zps37b5c0ce.jpg

• Like 7

Haha yep all that scrap resin would have gone in the bin other wise.

There is plenty more of it and there will be more in the future.

I see you used the horrible caramac stuff. Good choice as its in no stress area.

I could just eat a caramac now. That resin looks just like it.

I must get my 32nd one finished and my 72nd ones finished before I build one of these.

I am tempted though.

The Caramac looks better there than the 'orrible place it was before yer Gen'rallity

Rob why don't you cook a dollop of sugar into yer next batch ;)

AND GET ON WITH that task soon, I'm looking forwards to seeing the improved jobby asap.

That was a good 'spot' on the wing fold Melchie, nicely caught :thumbsup:

Does that mean you might be fielding in slip for the next match with the dreadful Hun sah?

I'm certain you will be an improvement on Balders...

Oh

Who wouldnt be?

:(

• Like 1

The Caramac looks better there than the 'orrible place it was before yer Gen'rallity

Rob why don't you cook a dollop of sugar into yer next batch ;)

AND GET ON WITH that task soon, I'm looking forwards to seeing the improved jobby asap.

That was a good 'spot' on the wing fold Melchie, nicely caught :thumbsup:

Does that mean you might be fielding in slip for the next match with the dreadful Hun sah?

I'm certain you will be an improvement on Balders...

I agree Better than in the bin and I am already working on the next one mate. ;)

Oh

Who wouldnt be?

:(

Yes better than being in the bin. I am already working on it ;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

Excellent work General, you surely have a good pair of eyes to notice the wing sweep which no one noticed before.

All useful information when the time comes to build one.

Robert

Now that's a good idea Rob...new recipes with added sweetness !, if it doesn't work out you could always eat it.... ..............caramacdonell F-101A to go please....

Bill...I can see where you're going with this and any attempt at reviving the ill fated Hun cricket match is strictly out of bounds !.........and besides Baldrick has been bailed to appear before the beak and our best batsman, Lt Georges pal 'the gubber', has snitched a parcel sausage end and gone goose over stump frog side !!

Thanks Robert.........it was the first thing that struck me when I saw the model for the first time, just didn't look right to me.............I think working for so long on getting the Buccaneer right has done this to me !!...... :hypnotised:

I've now glued the wings into place and once set I'll post more piccies....

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps appreciated,

Not very scientific I know but as my printers run out of ink it'll have to do, but it does highlight the problem......unless there's something I've missed !!

(The model is held a few inches above the screen hence the wing length discrepancy but I'm really just showing the angle....),

P1170111_zpsd9e3860e.jpg

Moving them won't be a big issue and luckily the pylon points swivel, just have to get everything lines up......I'm not bothered about silly gimmicks like swinging wings, etc so cutting things up isn't a problem.....the only thing that concerns me are the inner ends of the wing, by the flaps have enough length to still sit inside the wing seals once the angle is corrected.... :hmmm:

M

How the hell did this get past the kit designers?, I presumed this would have been correct. Now that you've pointed it out it looks pretty obvious.

Too late for my build, its all glued up and filled :rant:

When fitting the flaps I was a bit worried about the fuselage to flap gap, this is probably the reason!

Shaun.

It would be interesting to know who's drawings are doing the rounds these days with so many otherwise excellent kits that have lazy research mistakes that are pretty unforgivable these days

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know who's drawings are doing the rounds these days with so many otherwise excellent kits that have lazy research mistakes that are pretty unforgivable these days

Pretty amazing that some obvious things get though on modern kits, on the Tornado kit I would have thought the forward sweep angle would be correct with all the cleaver engineering that has been incorporated into the wing box area.

I also have a question about the wing pylons- why are the pivot attachment points not above the pivot point covers that are on the side the pylons?

Shaun.

• Like 1

It does beggar belief that so many of these companies who put so much time and effort into complex and expensive tooling can get by on such sloppy research. In the case of the Tornado there is so much data available that it seems crazy that the researcher can't even look up the Wiki entry and find the wing sweep angles sat there in front of him/ her. If they need to know why don't they ask the community..........after all the huge collective knowledge base is there....

Rob, the same goes for the new Pit Road Victor B.2.... the decal instructions are all over the place, camo aircraft with two roundels on the upper wing !!! , low viz, light pink 100 squadron badge on the fin instead of Wittering gold lion station badge, full colour 'B' type markings on an operational white B.2......good grief who did the research, Spongbob Squaretrousers ??

Shaun, good point, I'll have a look at that later......

It does beggar belief that so many of these companies who put so much time and effort into complex and expensive tooling can get by on such sloppy research. In the case of the Tornado there is so much data available that it seems crazy that the researcher can't even look up the Wiki entry and find the wing sweep angles sat there in front of him/ her. If they need to know why don't they ask the community..........after all the huge collective knowledge base is there....

True - definitely true. But go on - you enjoyed the process of fixing it didn't you :)

• Like 1

Rob, the same goes for the new Pit Road Victor B.2.... the decal instructions are all over the place, camo aircraft with two roundels on the upper wing !!! , low viz, light pink 100 squadron badge on the fin instead of Wittering gold lion station badge, full colour 'B' type markings on an operational white B.2......good grief who did the research, Spongbob Squaretrousers ??

Shaun, good point, I'll have a look at that later......

It is true that's there is no excuse for it, but it don't put me off as its fun fixing it. The odd panel line here there and shape issue are fine but something like the wing angle is a big howler when its one is the starting points of measuring up.

Maybe that's it , perhaps they measured from a real one that had its wings not fully swept forwards before retracting them.

I dunno, still looks great.

WOW The pit road victor is out where ? I must make some,

Shame about the decals but I can sort that.

New Victor ! Fantastic , Cheers Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan

But go on - you enjoyed the process of fixing it didn't you :)

Ha ..you got me Steve !...........I'm pretty certain you're of the same mind too :whistle: ...... being a scratch builder certainly helps here as problems like this are quite straightforward to sort out but it seems odd that in this day and age with everything literally at your fingertips such glaring mistakes are made, (quality control anyone ?).

On the other hand if they didn't make them how much fun would we fettlers have eh !! :jump_fire:

Rob, re the Victor, I'm sure the kit will be a little beauty it's just the decal instructions.........unfortunately I can see it leading to some rather inaccurately finished models !

• Like 3

I've fitted Shauns replacement wing seals which are a huge improvement over the kit parts, they've been sprayed using Alclad flat aluminium and then washed with burnt umber oils.. The front ends must be angled at 45 degrees to fit and butt up against the wing fold mechanism. This adds more strength and prevents the wing suffering from any unwanted movement...

P1170133_zpsfeb20dac.jpg

With the lid dry fitted to check the fit.......once glued down everything is nice and tight.

P1170135_zpsd71e75a0.jpg

And the whole lot together. Everything fits well and now looks a bit more like a proper Tornado...

P1170136_zpsc424c68d.jpg

Just before gluing the lid down I made up the airflow straighteners, (0.5mm card), fitted inside the outlet for the bleed slots which are quite noticeable on the real thing...

P1170137_zps5b984974.jpg

DSC_0141_zpsa90a9ebf.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks chaps, Shaun ha !!...true...they fit a treat and very easy to use. As the seal reveals aren't square they needed a little filing to shape along the bottoms but once the top's glued down they pressure fit perfectly against the sides forming a perfect seal........good job fella ! have you got any of the RAF pylon parts available ? pm if so...cheers.

Rene, good news I was wondering when they'd became available.....now I know...right over to Hannants then !

Duly ordered. The pack looks really nice and will compliment the 2 (AC) part 1 set nicely especially as it contains all the markings for an RAFG bird...

One problem often leads to another and that's the case here. With the wings being swept further forward a small portion of the wing was left open and exposed...so another couple of pieces of scrap resin were needed to make sure the area was covered. These have been sanded to shape and will be primed next,

DSC_0153_zps8c9fd49c.jpg

It was only test fitting the covers that the problem became evident........just make sure you dry fit everything a couple of times before applying any glue !!....

DSC_0154_zps2948b9a4.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2