Revell 1/48th RAF Tornado GR1A.......

Now now General Sah be careful,this thread is in danger of migrating back into something to do with modelling....just re-watched your marvellous performances in that little show Blackadder goes forth,have to say it one feel positively patriotic Sah!!😊

• Like 1

My apols there Radar, I shall endeavour to be back on the old beast post haste, (if not sooner). Managed to pick up some NATO Green paint to splosh on it at the Milton Keynes show today, so I'm all set......

What's the 'NATO green' for on a GR1A Andy?

K

Bit of a tangential question here. I am making the Revell 1:48 GR4 as a particular tail number to give to a colleague who was SENGO on it. I asked him if there was a particular tail number and he gave me this one. What I want to do is add a little figure to represent him standing in front of his aircraft. I don't want to give the game away but what sort of working dress would a UK based RAF engineering officer wear. I'm making the GR4 up in the all over grey scheme.

I was thinking that I would convert an ICM WW2 ground Luftwaffe crew figure as they are in overalls and forage caps. Unless there are any specific RAF figures available?

TIA

Matthew

Crusty I can only apologise if any hint of modelling creep into the thread every now and then...I shall review the situation immediately if not sooner and if necessary send the requisite damage report to Darling to make paper hats for the catering staff....

Keef, I mix the NATO Green with Olive Drab to give a faded brown tinted look to the RAF Dark Green.

Mathew, I must admit to not knowing which figures would be appropriate here, I'm sure others will know. Sorry to not be of more help...

Keef, I mix the NATO Green with Olive Drab to give a faded brown tinted look to the RAF Dark Green.

Cool, I look forward to seeing it on the model....!!

As to Matthew's question, thinking back to my, admittedly short, time in the RAF, Engineer Officers would rarely be seen in overalls, they'd more likely be wearing working uniform, or wooly pullies (jumpers) with uniform trousers. As you say though Andy, others will know more!

Keith

• Like 1

A male SEngO would routinely wear No2 Dress, ie Wedgewood long sleeved shirt, black tie, uniform trousers, with or without the RAF jersey, black uniform DMS or Oxford pattern shoes. Headwear would be either the No1 SD cap or the side hat (commonly known as the chip bag)

Summertime would be no jersey, no tie, short sleeved wedgewood shirt, with or without the RAF stable belt.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks filippo, hopefully work will resume on it very soon. As an aside I trundled down to Bruntingthorpe at the weekend to have a gander at the old Cold War jallopies of yesteryear and had a good nosey around the Tornado. Work seems to be progressing on it, (roughly in correlation with mine...ie not a lot), anyhoo I took a few photos of rarely seen areas of the aircraft which I needed to look at more closely,

Firstly blokes crawling all over it looking busy but failing to actually do anything except of course being very helpful with daft questions.....

DSC_0518_zpskh4kuksp.jpg

The wingtip nav/strobe lights are quite a unique shape and fitting,

DSC_0520_zpsl81hyetg.jpg

DSC_0521_zpsbgomci2v.jpg

The wing sweep glove, nice and tidy on this example,

DSC_0522_zpsbxx4ofhe.jpg

The base of the fin VG's and small outlet cover.

DSC_0523_zpsqr769ant.jpg

DSC_0532_zpsjgujckzk.jpg

The hook that we mentioned earlier

DSC_0524_zpskdixiry4.jpg

And the upper end with it's mech and fairing...

DSC_0529_zpshsu1w4mb.jpg

Left hand side engine bay doors open

DSC_0525_zpsa7tpxifa.jpg

Interior details of the bay

DSC_0526_zpscwesfkks.jpg

Very rarely seen area between the RB-199 exhaust units,

DSC_0527_zpsqcl2kapv.jpg

Ditto with the rear extension,

DSC_0528_zpsgevaayai.jpg

DSC_0530_zpsdmcd2fce.jpg

So that's where all the RAF gaffer tape went !!....view over wing showing glove, access panels and upper wing contours around the pivot area.

DSC_0531_zpsraizba4m.jpg

And finally, Debs I thought you said you weren't going to take the Nimrod for a spin..........heavy footed again ! OK it's hard to ruin the 'lines' or is it 'bulges' of the Nimrod but someone's managed it.

DSC_0534_zpshqs27hsj.jpg

(Before anyone says anything I know it was the result of a little bit of wind :frantic: ).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And finally, Debs I thought you said you weren't going to take the Nimrod for a spin..........heavy footed again ! OK it's hard to ruin the 'lines' or is it 'bulges' of the Nimrod but someone's managed it.

Oh my! That's not looking so good. :(

Honestly, twasn't me Guv'ner.

• Like 2

General, dunno whether you're interested or not, the shot you took between the engines at the base of the fin shows the manual hook release ( the black rubber covered switch) with the wiring which allows the driver to release it from the front! When the engines are fitted that switch is a swine to reach to drop the hook!

• Like 2

Fair enough, I believe you :coolio: .........I think they've started looking for another one already, this time they'll hopefully fit a sturdier external control lock.

Thanks wasa it's great to know just what all these little parts do, (or don't do !). Not really designed with the poor s*ds who have to fix them in mind are they ! A good friend of mine was a plumber on F3's at Coningsby and wasn't exactly complimentary of the old beast, (and that's being polite, something about a floppy plastic receptacle and meat based fertilizer comes to mind).........still must have been an improvement on contorting your way around and through the old Frightning's bless 'em.

Oh my! That's not looking so good. :(

If she says she didnt do it, she didnt

Probably

Purrups :)

Those pictures are magnificent Yer Lawshup

Have you noticed that the ones of the fin show the classic different colour of the roundel Red fin flash against the 'other red' Post Office Red

Maybe it needs popping over into the What Red? thread over on Post War Aircraft

It looks very clear on these shots

I'm a tad displeased to have missed that Brunty trip, been meaning to go again this year 'acos me lugholes have recovered from standing ten yards from the LIghtning reheat run last year

• Like 1

Thanks Billiam,

You're right of course, if she said she didn't then she didn't...probably............much like she probably didn't do this, I refer my learned colleague to an earlier incident involving the same make of vehicle M'Lud,

P1170347_zpshqc8ni8i.jpg

And yes the red is definitely of a different hue, making the modellers life even harder than the painful progression that it is...I'm rather looking forward to them getting this one back to working order along with the Vixen and Starfighter, (could sit listening to that 'playing the pipes' all day !).

And yes again, you should have got yourself over to Brunty by thunder....tinitus, ruptured diaphragms and loose fillings are the order of the day......plus the nice kind folks let us aboard the Viccy10 just so that we could hang out of the rear doors taking odd angle photogs of the Conways, walk on wings and play in the drivers seat...ah happy days.

You must get across for August Bill and bring the old jalopy........or better still bring the MG :winkgrin:

Los Trios Gormlossos...or two tennors and a five bob bit. Myself and two members of the band Sister Shotgun including our very own Rob Hayes (Robvulcan) wait patiently while they tow the VC10 over to us for a good gander....(Not sure what's louder, the Lightning in reheat or these two on stage ! :guitar: )

94EF8509-0C66-4D5C-BA8A-B6167D8727A2_zps

Apologies for the drift off thread......, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible...

• Like 1

"Normal service"? Since when has normal ever been a feature of this thread?

(If I had service like this elsewhere, I'd never eat there again!)

• Like 1

Ah crusty, I thought being erstwhile of the 1945th East African rifles you'd been sent packing to the Eastern Front, (somewhere around Chelmsford), armed with nothing more than a sharpened mango, a pair of extra large Y-fronts and a pair of 3b pencils. I profoundly apologise for any normality that may have inadvertently crept into this script. Of course I meant to write 'Abnormal service will be continued as soon as possible'. Does that meet with your approval ?

Al, well with the reputation of the gin classes to uphold and the honour of the regiment to disgrace I wouldn't eat here either, in fact I'm off........need to organize a funeral pyre for common sense and decency !

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 3

Thanks Billiam,

You're right of course, if she said she didn't then she didn't...probably............much like she probably didn't do this, I refer my learned colleague to an earlier incident involving the same make of vehicle M'Lud,

P1170347_zpshqc8ni8i.jpg

And yes the red is definitely of a different hue, making the modellers life even harder than the painful progression that it is...I'm rather looking forward to them getting this one back to working order along with the Vixen and Starfighter, (could sit listening to that 'playing the pipes' all day !).

And yes again, you should have got yourself over to Brunty by thunder....tinitus, ruptured diaphragms and loose fillings are the order of the day......plus the nice kind folks let us aboard the Viccy10 just so that we could hang out of the rear doors taking odd angle photogs of the Conways, walk on wings and play in the drivers seat...ah happy days.

You must get across for August Bill and bring the old jalopy........or better still bring the MG :winkgrin:

Los Trios Gormlossos...or two tennors and a five bob bit. Myself and two members of the band Sister Shotgun including our very own Rob Hayes (Robvulcan) wait patiently while they tow the VC10 over to us for a good gander....(Not sure what's louder, the Lightning in reheat or these two on stage ! :guitar: )

94EF8509-0C66-4D5C-BA8A-B6167D8727A2_zps

Apologies for the drift off thread......, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible...

Err

Hmm sah, not entirely sure she didnt do that one

Possible wibblywobly left hand on stick and "oops me feet slipped" on the pedals maybe

(not really sure they will be able to get that one straight, you can't get the windscreen wipers any more)

Yes I will be adding the August one to my extended calendar list, I may have to tell Prince Phil and his missus I can't pop in for canapes this time

Brunty calls

• Like 1

The crash investigation team said that it was one of the worst rear end shunts they'd come across....apparently.

Never mind blasted garden parties and all that drivel, what you want is a good blast of renown metal artist Conway Avon to brighten your day.....and the only canapé you need is firmly attached to the cockpit of a Frightning F6.

• Like 1

P1170347_zpshqc8ni8i.jpg

That's the nose of XW666 which was the Nimrod R1 that ditched in the Moray after a hot gas leak initiated the starter motor on the No 4 engine resulting in a very nasty wing fire.

The Captain, Art Stacey, got the AFC for his efforts.

• Like 1

Yep, snapped at Donny a while back, I think we discussed this at Telford Debs, a fascinating lesson about how one thing can quickly lead to another. What started as possible mechanical damage to the DC loom, lead to arcing when the engine anti icing system was switched on ,lead to the air starter starting up but as the No 4 engine was already at idle as part of an air test there was no load the starter turbine it quickly over ran, lead to retaining nut failure which lead to the turbine disc moving back and striking the engine bypass casing of the No 2 fuel tank, which punctured both and lead to a fuel leak which promptly ignited either by arcing or engine temp which lead to amazing skill of the captain and crew in effecting a water landing without flaps and the safe evacuation of the seven man crew.....

• Like 2

Ah crusty, I thought being erstwhile of the 1945th East African rifles you'd been sent packing to the Eastern Front, (somewhere around Chelmsford), armed with nothing more than a sharpened mango, a pair of extra large Y-fronts and a pair of 3b pencils. I profoundly apologise for any normality that may have inadvertently crept into this script. Of course I meant to write 'Abnormal service will be continued as soon as possible'. Does that meet with your approval ?

Al, well with the reputation of the gin classes to uphold and the honour of the regiment to disgrace I wouldn't eat here either, in fact I'm off........need to organize a funeral pyre for common sense and decency !

Ahhh General Sah if only twas so simple, my mango handling license has been revoked due to an unfortunate incident on the train to said Chelmsford involving a Nun a rabbi and a very unfortunate aardvark,resulting in a very public court martial and debriefing of the extra large y fronts... the pencils I was allowed to keep for my new duties as sole defender of our embassy in Outer Mongolia

• Like 1