Revell 1/48th RAF Tornado GR1A.......

It's brilliant to see progress! This thread has been hugely informative and a great help in my current endeavour to build this kit as a GR.1B from 12 Squadron in 1995.

I've noticed something on my own build and others of this kit, including the latest photos above. It seems to me that Revell haven't quite got the transition from the separate nosecone to the front fuselage right. I know it's not a straightforward shape, but to me it really looks like there is too much of a kink, whereas photos of the real thing look a lot smoother. Does anyone agree with me or am I seeing things?

Looking forward to seeing more developments!

Jon

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, Jon and Bill you could well be right ! I've had a good look at the shaping of this area and it would seem that the Revell cone may be too 'full' and curved at the first stage. The nearest photo to the image I'm after is of this German bird and it seems to me that the first main section of the cone is flatter, (more uniform) than the kit part portrays, this seems to give the cone a curved look that shouldn't be there. A bit difficult to fix at this point though I may well have a go at sanding it down and repainting.... 'once seen, can't be unseen' and all that. Surprising that Revell don't pick these things up, maybe about time they picked up some LIDAR gear !

http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/71/German_Panavia_Tornado.JPG

The nose cone is effectively two cone shapes (or a large diameter frustrum topped with a cone, if you will). Where Revell goes wrong is the area immediately behind the nose cone before the transition to the slab-sided section.

Edited by Alan P

'Darling make a note of the word 'frustrum...I like it and want to use it more often in conversation !. That's it Al. The radome is basically two cones The sides of the fuselage also bulge out slightly at this point to accommodate the Mausers which adds to that peculiar shape, but as you say Revell got this area wrong which is a pain. Either filling out the area behind the cone, (alternatively sanding back the mauser area) or reducing the outer cone are the options, but of course the whole cone will need work. Not so bad as this one will be black but very easy to lose the duo-cone effect.....

• Like 1

It's a tough one, I only noticed from trying to accommodate the aftermarket conversion for the F3 in 1/32. The result (very noticeable if you've ever seen one built up) is a skinny, long nose that ends up looking more like the Snoopy Hercules than a sharklike killing machine.

I'd go down the Milliput/other epoxy putty route as you can shape it to your preference.

I'm glad it's not just me who's noticed! I know there is a kink but it just seems over-emphasised to me, even with the panel line filled, and from certain angles looks quite awkward.

I did think about using Milliput to smooth the transition out a little bit, but in the end I've just decided to leave it. With my skills, remedial action is just likely to make it look worse :(

Jon

When I built mine, I incorrectly, as it transpired, removed a wedge from the in between section. When glued together the transition was actually smoother.....although by now somewhat shorter than it should have been. Which is why this kit never progressed much further than this!, there is a moral to this story....

Shaun's fix is better!

The lower nose is from the Italeri kit BTW

108_zpse07509c7.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps, the Tornado's nose cone shape is quite difficult to capture correctly due to a few perspective issues.

The angle seems to start ahead of the CSAS equipment bay giving the characteristic drooped look which the black demarcation line only seems to emphasize as it follows the angle of the forward panels with the rear of the 'wedge', (the cone hinge line) remaining vertical....

DSC_0296-001_zpsuqsdaguq.jpg

Hinged open...

http://www.internetmodeler.com/1999/march/galleria/walkaround/walk_001.jpg

Here on this GR.4 the different angles can just be made out...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/gallery/8EA95806_E5C3_E7B1_1A7FBE5A96ED6D59/Cockpit-of-a-Tornado-GR4.png

This view really shows the smooth transition well,

http://www.jetartaviation.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Tornado-GR1-Jet-For-Sale-11-632x423.jpg

Bill, yes there's always a trade off with these things...sometimes best left alone but I have, (like others here) that terminal affliction of being a 'bl**dy rivet counter' which is often more of a hindrance than a help. But if something's blatantly wrong then I just can't leave it as I know it's there, which sadly as you've shown means that things end up getting shelved. When I have a few minutes spare, (I'm up to the gunwales in Foxhounds and Blinders at the mo), I'll try and work out the best path to follow......it will be done, it's only a matter of when and in which decade..

• Like 4

That's exactly where the problem is, you've nailed it. Thanks for identifying that, it's been driving me nuts!

The closest I got to getting that shape right was using the Italeri 1/48 kit. I did more or less what Bill did, but it works on the Italeri because the area you've shown is actually too long and accentuates the droop.

• Like 2

Happy Christmas everyone..........

Just needed 5 mins away from all the festive noise.....that Aled Jones gets right on me tits! .AAAAAGHHHHH.....

Got more peace and quiet helping out on a Tonka engine run!!!! AHHHH happy days

Ho Ho Ho.......

Anyways, love this thread!

The tips, the techie info and the " banterrrrrrrrrr" !!!

Nice one chaps.......

for what it's worth..... I remember we on 14 (GR1's) used to have a 3rd tank fitted "fairly" regular for trips to Nellis and Goose Bay and for those monthly "buckets of sunshine" cert loads...... and we defo had a few jets prepped with air to air refuel probes.... remember using them as a footrest to wipe the canopy screen...lineswine days!!! and for cleaning the shaft and "knobend".....

It's a shame the kits available have missed out on the detailing of the MASS flag........." MASS set to safe/green flag visible"......Man 1 and Man 4 Load team check!

Question chaps...... Do Aires MK10A seats come with arm restraint straps ? Another detail that seems to be missing from seats!!! As for the routing of the harness straps - left on PSP, crossed over and slotted in to back of headbox ...... it mostly depended on how "lazy" the liney was and what sort of OJT he/she had.. We mostly prepped the straps to the rear of the headbox rather than leave then in the "pan" , same for leg lines and arm restraints. Rather than leave them "dangling" we would put them in the "gaps" in the consoles!!!

I'm with you Zone....can't wait to see the Bruntin's Tonka up and running.... :wow:

Great build by the way.......loving the seats and pit!!!

• Like 2

Now that the festivities and frolicking safe out of the way it's time to get back to the serious matter of bunging bits of plastic together !

Crusaders, great info, thanks any anecdotal memories are most welcome. Interesting info on the tanks and AAR probes. What you say about the straps being looped back up into the head box makes sense really and ties in with most of the photos I have. I'll check with the Aires seats.....

Agree that it'll be great to see the Brunty bird alive again........might just pip the Lightning for tinnitus inducing decibel levels !

• Like 3

This is absolutely awesome. Can't believe I've been overlooking this but I won't be any longer as I've a big interest in the days of RAFG and always love a good Tonka...and this is shaping up to be a very good one! Nice stuff.

• Like 1

Thank you AjD, I can only apologise that there hasn't been much in the way of progress recently but with several big magazine projects now out of the way I can concentrate more on builds such as this and hopefully get it finished as soon as possible.......

Good luck with that General the amount of times I've said "hmmm got this and that out the way,now time for some model tinkering" ....and just about then another avalanche of things to do descends!!😞

• Like 1

Crusty...you're quite right of course, it's all wishful thinking but the thought keeps me relatively sane for a (short) while.......ooops a shiny new 1/48th Trumpy Su-11 has just fallen through the letter box courtesy of a certain publishing house....no, no I must resist, (but then you know what they say about resistance !)...

• Like 1