Revell 1/48th RAF Tornado GR1A.......

Could be worse ..........a lot worse ! :shutup:

Don't know why but it always reminds me of one of these..except of course these are cute !...

https://cdn.vectorstock.com/i/composite/55,31/cartoon-chicken-vector-765531.jpg

UK_F-35B_Lightning_II_MOD_45157752_zpsmk

Public domain photo..

I see CMK are releasing more Tonky bits for the Revell kit......nice !

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMQ48231

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK4330

Edited by general melchett

Progress !!........following the mayhem that is Telford I thought it about time I got on with this one as it's been a while now..

Has it? I rather thought you were cracking along with it.

This is more like evolution than modelling... By the time you've finished it'll probably have grown into a Typhoon!

Evolution by means of natural selection? There's nothing natural about the selection processes of the MOD..........

Had an interesting chat with these two and then got them to stand next to the old beast..... John Peters was quietly interesting but John Nichol kept butting in with his rather loud, contrary opinion......

See - that's my point. How much nicer it all is if you don't have to have an argument about whether you should go down this valley or that valley, or whether this is an appropriate time to turn the aeroplane upside down for the sheer hell of it :)

• Like 5

Ah, Steve....well that's very true, also of course if you happen to make a monumental boo boo then it's between you, the flight recorder and the disciplinary board rather than someone whose going to run to the nearest internet connection and tell everyone and his dog what went on that day via FB...mind you it must be quite tempting to flip upside down with someone in the back occasionally anyway....just to make sure they know who's really in charge !

• Like 1

See - that's my point. How much nicer it all is if you don't have to have an argument about whether you should go down this valley or that valley, or whether this is an appropriate time to turn the aeroplane upside down for the sheer hell of it :)

On the other hand, when you are 150 miles from Mum at night, low level, EMCON silent, it isn't half nice to have someone else in the aircraft who has been keeping a close eye on where she is while you were busy keeping your instrument scan going for a couple of hours....

The Fish-heads have a nasty habit of moving the bloody airfield to somewhere other than where they said it would be!

• Like 4

Great pictures there Andy

I was tempted to make the Jags that mucky but I doubted they would be nice models in 72th scale afterwards :(

I might make a Tonka just for the fun, pure filthy fun, one day

(mind you I am finding it hard to wean myself off the Gennulman's Scale onto things I can see) :(

There's a big (maybe) Revell Lynx in the drawer in the 'other room' that I keep putting off, maybe grandson will knock it together after grandad has done the coil (Mortal) shuffling bit :)

duck that pig's airborne

will the preshading be repeated under the greeny bits?

• Like 1

Crisp, I consider it sheer bad manners moving the airfield and not telling you...I mean where's the sport in that ?.....how would they like it if suddenly you turned all the lights off as you approached the deck at night in zero visibility.........oh hang on!

Cheers Bill me old sparra, (cocker variety thereof), I'm not totally sure that adding lots of filth and muck is the way forward with Braille scale stuff, it can look a bit overpowering if you know what I mean.

Actually there's no pre-shading as such, more panel tone variations but yes it'll be done on the greenery too then a filter will be applied to help blend those tones, by the time the Alclad semi Matte varnish goes on everything should be pulled in nicely, then it's time to break out the MIG pastels....they taste marvellous !

You really should have at the Lynx......I know you'll make a great job of it. Must admit after finishing the Whirlwind recently I'm quite tempted with the big Fly Wessex......

• Like 1

I shoulda remembered the variation was atop the layers rather than below

Simple loss of reasoning power as per usual

So if gull grAy is the choice to add vagueness to the grey what will you be giving fadation to the green with I wonders

The FFFFFflying Wessex is a daunting beastie though, but I have a friend who is tackling it, persoomably with gusto and a modicum of adhesive

I looked inside the box at Telford when he bought it

nice but lacking in generally Hendie class of delicacy

but Hendie will make it perfect next year when he's had a week or four off from the HC2

Crisp, I just cant believe that the 'fishhead' chappies were in the habit of swanning about around the oggin without mentioning it to the aerodrivers

That is terrible, no wonder those nice politicos got rid of all their expensive boats for a while

Still Scotland's finest made sure there would be a couple more for your descendants to bob around on soon

ISH

Yes Andy I will look at the Lynx again, maybe when looking for bits to cannibalise for my Naval Merlin (in little scale) ;)

phew, didnt I pop off there, sorry

• Like 1

Rad, I'm quite tempted and have been offered one but with a list of stuff to finish for AMW as long as my arm I don't think it would get done any time soon especially with the Foxhound and Blinder arriving on the workbench ! Of course you'd need to do a fair bit to work the thing back to a water fairy but it would look mighty fine sat on the table...

Billiam, today for the little green number I will mostly be going for RAF Dark Green with a dash of Olive Drab enhanced with a few drops of Medium Sea Grey to darken then lightened in stages with Gull Grey again. It's like being back at school, art lessons were always a great skive....wonderfully unstructured mayhem with Mr Price-Jones, a crazed pocket sized Welshman with a penchant for weed, Pink Floyd and TR5's...(a lethal combo that more than once almost cost him his 'job' not to mention life).

I've heard a few things about the Wessex and having looked in the box the other day would tend to agree with you, nothing that couldn't be hammered into shape with a spot of super duper detailing and an industrial arc welder.

As for new boats for Her Maj's Imaginary Navy.....well let's hope we actually have something to put on them in the end....if not then I found one of these round the back of the shed,

P1170317_zpsc3bfbwmx.jpg

• Like 2

Spoken like a true single-seater! :clap2::lol:

Edited by Alan P

Rad, I'm quite tempted and have been offered one but with a list of stuff to finish for AMW as long as my arm I don't think it would get done any time soon especially with the Foxhound and Blinder arriving on the workbench ! Of course you'd need to do a fair bit to work the thing back to a water fairy but it would look mighty fine sat on the table...

Billiam, today for the little green number I will mostly be going for RAF Dark Green with a dash of Olive Drab enhanced with a few drops of Medium Sea Grey to darken then lightened in stages with Gull Grey again. It's like being back at school, art lessons were always a great skive....wonderfully unstructured mayhem with Mr Price-Jones, a crazed pocket sized Welshman with a penchant for weed, Pink Floyd and TR5's...(a lethal combo that more than once almost cost him his 'job' not to mention life).

I've heard a few things about the Wessex and having looked in the box the other day would tend to agree with you, nothing that couldn't be hammered into shape with a spot of super duper detailing and an industrial arc welder.

A great shame - it would be an interesting journey watching the the General turn his talents to finishing said Wessex so it did end up looking look this:

As for new boats for Her Maj's Imaginary Navy.....well let's hope we actually have something to put on them in the end....if not then I found one of these round the back of the shed,

Edited by Greg B
  • Like 2

There's a big (maybe) Revell Lynx in the drawer in the 'other room' that I keep putting off...

I am seriously considering a Lynx for my next (post-Vixen) project. I haven't yet decided whether Airfix in Quarter scale (The Scale for Gentlemen of a Certain Age), or Revell in 1/32. You'd be way quicker than me, or I'd suggest a parallel build!

[P.S. I wish I had the painting skills to reproduce a tired old discarded Wessex like the one round the back of the General's shed. It has to be said that his shed looks suspiciously like a hangar; I suppose this is what happens when the grounds of Melchett Towers encompass entire counties.]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Richard, I've actually seriously given some thought to a full blown dio of this sad scene. It was taken at Aeroventure recently when I visited this superb museum with my good friend and ridiculously talented modeller Jan Forsgren (of Schveeden) who calmly suggested that I should attempt such a thing.....at least it should make good any mistakes with the kit ! I may yet do it...

Crisp, if quarter scale is the scale of choice for gentlemen of a certain age what does that make my preferred 1/24th !.....models for the seriously impaired and extremely loose of thought !....in my case, probably true by thunder....

The back lot at Melchett Towers could do with a good clear out, I'll set the Mem on it at once....also found this the other day, hiding under an old tarp....I notified Rob immediately of course and he already has plans on turning it into a camper van.....

P1170329_zpsd3exubas.jpg

• Like 4

Surely you just turn the intercomm off? :hmmm: You know, 'No stick, No Vote'?

That's what I used to do when I had 5 of the buggers on board...

On the other hand, when you are 150 miles from Mum at night, low level, EMCON silent, it isn't half nice to have someone else in the aircraft who has been keeping a close eye on where she is while you were busy keeping your instrument scan going for a couple of hours....

Aside from the fact that I really rather like my airfield to remain where it is and not go blundering off in some random direction, I was never totally sure whether members of SODCAT (Society Of Directional Consultants and Allied Trades) were a good thing or not. I'm also pretty sure we were never where they said we were...

Whilst operating from a well known secret South Yorkshire airbase I had occasion to fly with 3 'Wheels' of the SODCAT world: The 'Staish' (a Group Captain ex-Buccaneer Nav), OC Nav School (a Wing Commander ex-Buccaneer Nav), and OC LLTS [Low Level Training Sqn] (a Squadron Leader ex-F4 Nav).

So, no pressure then...

As Captain it was my job to fill in and sign the 'Auth Sheets' and then, after the Main Brief, to lead the 'Out Brief'. The sortie was to be a HI-LO-HI into mid Wales for a bit of 'hooning' before return to base.

In those days, having just come off Albert, I used to keep a well stocked 'Nav Bag', that I had purchased from civilian sources, full of useful things like maps, en-route supplements, flight infomation handbook, 38Gp AT&AAR manual (good for frequencies and airfield facilities), pens and essential foodstuffs like chocie bars.

So there we are moving towards the 'Out Brief'; I should say at this juncture that this was held at the end of the main Sqn crewroom via a window into the Duty Authoriser's office. It is at this point that OC LLTS (a man known for refering to us drivers as 'nosegunners', a man known for dishing out banter, and a man well known for not being able to take banter) espies said nav bag and comes out with a comment about "Bloody Airline pilots and their luggage".

At which point our Intrepid Dominie Captain (IDC) retorts with: "You know Sir? I don't know why I bloody bother."

OC Dominie Sqn, who happened to be in the crewroom at the time (and a man without a great deal of sympatique for Navs) pricks up his ears and, knowing that IDC is pretty robust in both opinion and speech, gives me a warning look as if to say: "Oh God, what is she going to say now and in front of the Staish?"

OC LLTS falls into my well prepared ambush (complete with claymore mines, punji stakes and big guns) with the qustion: "Just what are you talking about Nosegunner?"

IDC: "Well sir it's like this. Nav training costs the taxpayer what, about a £ mill, £ mill and a half per nav? The RAF has what 500 or 800 aircraft or so? (Editor's note: This was back in the mid/late '90s before all the really big cuts). Now, a Garmin GPS costs about £200 a throw. So for the princely sum of less than what it costs to train a single Nav we could fit every aircraft with one. This wonderful piece of kit will tell us pilots wherever we are anywhere in the world, whenever we ask it, immediately, and with no prevarication."

(pause for effect, 2, 3, 4...)

IDC: "Oh, and it won't buy the bloody beers neither!"

Cue the Staish collapsing in a fit of laughter.

• Like 7

I still say there should be a dedicated forum section for us to enjoy all these wonderful recollections.....trouble is you'd have all these blasted non flying model aeroplane types butting in all the time ! Great stuff Debs, keep it coming....(btw have you finished the Skeeter yet ?).

Well

have you finished yours?

;)

I know, too busy and not on a schedule :)

Some idle brained idiot picked up his FREE Airfix Scout without transparencies the other day :(

I just can't wait forever for Colin to give me a Wopse........

I'm VERY old :mental:

And barmy

So there's another pot on the boiler with the Hansom

dohh

I love that old nautical Walter, bet you could make that into a proper job :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Good point and well cap locked Bill ! Sadly with my derierre being regularly confused with my elbow at the mo and a constant stream of latest releases being force fed through my letterbox from the upper echelons at AMW it's not been placed on DEFCON 1 as yet, (sadly the same goes for this one and the big Bucc) but I'll get around to them.

I wasn't aware that you could actually get hold of a free Scout without transparencies....seems like madness but who am I to speak.

I agree that the gestation period for said Wopse seems rather drawn out, but knowing Colin there'll be a very good reason, Xmas, birthdays, skiing at St Moritz, etc....

Get stuck into yer 'ansome cab, since you got the old nag sorted out you must be on the home straight by now.....I thank Yorl...

I (of course) knew all that Andy but thought it time somebody got a teensie bit aWsie about it

We were really enjoying it and I bet that WE encompasses lots of us rotarianians so just a light word YKWIM

Hmm (stop now Bill don't do this...really don't.... ) aw too late, :( that rather tattered Wessex.

Is there a chance you know of any other pictures of her?

You know the style, back end of the tattypaintworkery. Some of the other side?

Or a decent link for a recap from someone else's Instagrams of her

As for the Hansom, just faking up the external suspension components just the noo, ye ken

Neddy is almost GO

;)

• Like 1

I knew that you knew that I knew Bill...'mums the word, not 'arf guvner' and all that....I'd like to get stuck back into the old velocopede but I've got this new 1/48th Rooskie monster to get done pronto for his Lordships down at Stamford....

As for 'old knackered'..well I didn't take any more shots of the poor old thing but I'm going back over there in a few days, (one of the chief chaps over there is a big BM fan so I shall curry favour with him, unless he reads this of course !), so if you hang fire I'll get some more, (pm me specifics or do you just want the body beautiful ?).

Glad to hear that you're beavering away with the old horse-car...should be a picture in the paddock when done..just my cup of char..... B)

• Like 1

The body bootiful will be good, but any of the way she is inside would be rather nice too

not that I have any such thinking in mind of course, I have plentiful modelling in mind for the long wintry evenings

Skeeter for one and a rather dainty Hawker Fury in a bag (Matchbox vintage)

That mystery Scout without any windows by the way, a gift from a trading friend who wouldn't be able to realise any dosh for it glassless and made me rather chuffed

Wasn't even Christmas :thumbsup:

BIG Russian Monster? Hmm 1/48 scale Vlad the Putin?

Ah no I recall an aeroplane was on the agenda, look forrards to seeing it (soon?) then

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress !!........following the mayhem that is Telford I thought it about time I got on with this one as it's been a while now..

I've managed to add tonal variation to various panels on the DSG so all panels are now both high and low lit, (by adding progressively more Gull Grey to each pass and EDSG to the panel outer edges). The Dark Green will be added next and the same thing applied to that. Once all thoroughly dry a filter will be added to blend everything together...

The studio strobe flashes wash everything out of course and the effect is more subtle in natural light....but you get the idea.

Been following along with this from the beginning and taking copious notes. Now that the paint is happening, I thought I'd weigh-in with a comment... Always a pleasure to watch you work, Andy, really like the way this is all coming together now, hopefully you won't be too upset when I build/finish mine almost the same !! - repetition being the sincerest form of flattery and all that.

Keep the updates coming, friend.

Ian.

• Like 2