Revell 1/48th RAF Tornado GR1A.......

Eng,

Thanks, whilst there's a fair bit of discussion about the rights and wrongs of the kit it does (eventually) build up into a very nice model. I think between myself, Jon (Byron), Shaun and other experts on the machine we've managed to sort out most of them. Look forward to seeing yours done, (you'll more than likely finish it before mine in any case !).

Melchie

Ha ha, like your sense of humour Melchie,....the bit in brackets at the end! You seen my track record? I'll give it a bash, can't not rise to a challenge.

Keep up the good work Sir,

Eng

• Like 1

Ha, don't think you'll need to see it as a challenge Eng, more a fact :winkgrin: ..... well, have some fun with it.

And talking of fun just thought I'd post a few photos I took at Elvington on Sunday whilst on 'day release' with fellow BM'ers, (Neil (woody), Tony (tonyot) and Colin (heloman) and I must say a jolly good time was had by all. Not much sight seeing but plenty of banter and catching up which is really what the day was all about. Having two Tornados at the museum it was only right to take a few snaps to try and capture any obscure details which might be of some use to anyone attempting one of these kits.

Sadly ZA354 was rather tatty, (though awaiting a repaint I was informed) however all this wear and tear did enable us to see the underlying panel and rivet detail. Talk about faded...this really does emphasize the brown in the green effect .. perhaps a little extreme.

Though a heavily worked trials aircraft, (drop tank, armament and fatigue testing) it's still useful as a general reference airframe.

DSC_0214_zpsgvka0twh.jpg

Relief door details, also note the position of the nav light and the added 'Slime' bars....

DSC_0215_zps1cqedfvf.jpg

DSC_0218_zpsa5adjgns.jpg

The odd 'antenna' between the nav light and UHF antennas is actually the fin tip of Lightning F6 XS903 sitting behind...note how tightly the glove fits around the wing section.

DSC_0219_zps8olzroif.jpg

I needed a decent profile view of the 1500 ltr tank and pylon detail so this should come in handy..

DSC_0220_zpsnei0ngje.jpg

Notice the small upper plates and fitting of the fin attachment point on this tank.

DSC_0222_zpshnfrr6ov.jpg

VG's and heat shield plate detail shows up quite well here...

DSC_0224_zpshljvq8qu.jpg

Thankfully a beautiful job has been made of XZ631, the GR4 prototype revealing all the glorious angles of the Tornado to perfection.

DSC_0236_zpsdom0szou.jpg

And finally the nose profile and forward angle of the nose gear.

DSC_0237_zps46wjlfro.jpg

Hope these are of some interest and use to a few of you..

Cheers, :cheers:

Melchie...

• Like 12

Thanks Bill, I'll take the red tabs as, err.........read !, maybe we should organise something simliar down yer patch of this Septic Isle, another excuse for endless japery and curmudgeoning not to mention endless waffle about the virtues and vices of MG Mudget ownership !

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know that the Miliverse Saudi decal set is now available from the website

http://www.miliverse.com/products.html

I've just finished reviewing them for Airfix Model World as Mark kindly sent me a few sets for that purpose, they really are superb quality and include specific markings for eight aircraft, (five desert IDS, one grey IDS and two ADV) though all serial production aircraft can be built. Included are grey wing sweep markings, all squadron unit markings, (early and late), RSAF national markings, all stencils in both Arabic and English, warning placards etc and of course a comprehensive guide to applying this complex set to your model along with photographs of the actual aircraft. (Two complete aircraft can be modelled from the set).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, general melchett said:

Just to let you know that the Miliverse Saudi decal set is now available from the website

http://www.miliverse.com/products.html

I've just finished reviewing them for Airfix Model World as Mark kindly sent me a few sets for that purpose, they really are superb quality and include specific markings for eight aircraft, (five desert IDS, one grey IDS and two ADV) though all serial production aircraft can be built. Included are grey wing sweep markings, all squadron unit markings, (early and late), RSAF national markings, all stencils in both Arabic and English, warning placards etc and of course a comprehensive guide to applying this complex set to your model along with photographs of the actual aircraft. (Two complete aircraft can be modelled from the set).

I could only see 1/72 scale , is the set available in 1/48 ?

• 2 months later...

I've been gone ages and you're still working on this?! :frantic:

It had better be worth it! :lol:

I'm working on your speciality, the AMT/Italeri Valkyrie. Feel free to pop in and pass on your wisdom, o conqueror of the valkyries! (and no, sorry that is not an official title and may not be used in company.)

Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

315E6E4B-F04A-4D9B-9118-D486E9DED5F5_zps

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for this thread, it's been a great help for me with my IDS/GR1 project! As a rookie with modelling it's helped me out so much! Just need to figure out the tricky flaps and main landing gear now....

• Like 2

Sorry not to reply sooner folks, must pay more attention in class,

Unc, yes the rugger team needs a damn good thrashing, ah........ well seems that's what they got, but hey give the boys a nudge they're definitely getting better... 

Al well yes 'fraid I've been a tad busy with other projects, which  you might like to know includes some floaty type things with masts, funnels and big loud bits....Normal service will resume soon when time permits. 

I'm working on your speciality, the AMT/Italeri Valkyrie. Feel free to pop in and pass on your wisdom, o conqueror of the valkyries!

I just did !   I thought my Valkyrie bashing days were over but lo apparently this is not quite so. Look forward to seeing what you do with the thing....

Sheepie, no problem, you'll almost certainly finish yours before I do but if it's been of some use to you then all the better....definitely more to come in the New Year...

Cheers all and Happy Christmas and all that...:cheers:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all your info, General. I've decided the Revell 1/48 IDS is my next project (concurrent with the Scout), which will be modelled as GR4 ZD844, which I flew in during Operation IRAQI FREEDOM in 2004. Sadly, it is no longer capable of flight:

panavia-tornado-zd844-rtp-scrap.jpgI intend using the Airfix kit (which I also bought before I read the reviews) to supply the bits I need. This thread will be a big help!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Glad it's of some use...I would say that that's just about had it regarding it's flying days, always a sad sight to see these magnificent machines reduced to scrap but it's the nature of things. I'm wading through a rather large pile of magazine article builds at the moment but will return to the GR.1A to finish it off as soon as possible, anything else you need to know just ask away, there are several experts on the type here but only too happy to help if I can.

• 2 months later...

That's a very sad picture of the end of ZD844. I flew that airframe many times in the 90s when it was DE on 31 Squadron and pre-GR4 upgrade. Gutting to see the demise of such a proud aircraft. 

However, your model Sheepie is looking very nice and will be a great tribute to all the Tornados that have passed into scrap land. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 08/09/2014 at 23:27, wasacop said:

Those main gear bays look nice. It looks like they've made them symmetrical however the left hand bay was slightly different in that it had the ground lock stowage box towards the front bulkhead and the right hand side didn't so the box needs removing from the right hand one, and the left hand bay also had the fatigue meter (dunno how you're gonna get round that without trashing those bays!) The front bulkhead of both bays used to get proper filthy with chinagraph graffitti etc! The sloping covers at the front of the bays were just a black plastic cover. Got to say tho, those are the best representation of Tornado main gear bays I've seen.

Remeber seeing a RAF Tornado with graffiti in the main wheel bay, "16 Sqn sux by 16 Sqn". Was just after the changeover from Buccs so maybe there was a few guys still around on the 'new' squadron.  That would have been late '84.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

05:30 beer finish last night, so please forgive me, but I dont seem to be able to find this Tonka finished in this thread.... Cmon now, who doesnt finish a model? Ahem.

Im here as I seem to have found myself with the Revell GR4 and the lovely Airfix for donor stuff along with a plan for a 4 bird Shiney 2 shelf in the cabinet - Hunter, Phantom, Jag and this thing. Phantom was done ages ago, Jag is so very close, Hunter awaits its nose job bits and the Tornado its decals. Otherwise I think Im about there.
Now Im losing the will to type anymore as I really am rather rough around the gizzards, so... just... any news? Any chance of a summary or suchlike to save my retinas pain against the long trawl through?

Maybe a beer will sort me out. No harm in trying. Might help with the head and noise outside from some Scampton airshow apparently. Might eat some cheese too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well RMP, I can only the hope the cheese helped with the gizzards and the extra beer with the head, both a good tonic for a catastrophic hangover... as for Scampton I caught some of the action from the man-cave window yesterday, admittedly with binos but got the gist of what was going on, between low overcast and high winds. Had the particularly noisy Oil Spill Response B727 screaming over the house in its relentless holding pattern which put the dog off chewing his gout bandage and rattled a few loose panes.

As for the Tornado, well, I've had several enquiries about progress on the beast and can only apologise that it hasn't advanced as much as hoped for, (ie hardly at all) but I have started work on the undercarriage doobries and managed to gloss coat the thing ready for the plethora of decals so will post updates as soon as anything substantive happens. I will indeed get a summary written up soon which will hopefully save your eyes from any further damage...

Ah Tim, I can see that I'm just going to have to sit this one out on the touchline with the half-time oranges and the fat wheezy boys with a note from matron, while you young bloods link arms and go together for the glorious final scrum down........a case of.belts off, trousers down, isn't life a scream!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...