Revell 1/48th RAF Tornado GR1A.......

Insubordination in the ranks I see, hmm

At sea?

Not related to sub-private Baldrick I hope

His great grannie was nautically inclined I recall

I have on pretty poor authority that the General has been given orders to test vertical entrenchment systems

It seems the bods at the War office think our lads spend too much time underground and want them up high at fifty AGL so the sun can get at them

SO the sod walls are to be replaced by hydrogen balloons helping keep them upright, 'spect it will be good for combatting trench foot too

But I am certain there will be time for Revell fettling anon, how far have you gotten?

I love Tonka, will you be giving us a WIP

One day I might join you with a big Tonka build

Hello, insubordination be danmed, I'm Merchant Navy & proud of it. ;-)

Yes I am planning a WIP as I plant to build a Norm 76 Marineflieger with underwing resin Komorans and a little resin elsewere.

Sort of a Melchie-lite build but in the colours of the hun.

Seeing how it goes I fancy doing a Luftwaffe Norm 83 & an RAF GR1 from 31 sq in wraparound green grey as well, mainly as I cannot decide and have space for all 3! :-)

• Like 2

Melchie lite huh?

I rather hope that you are able to stick to that At Sea

Merchant Marine huh, hats of to you and all your colleagues historically (Hysterically too if even a few of the tales I have heard have a modicum of reality) ;)

cant decide....

space for all three....

A recipe for madness old man

I'm still ( yes only still) recovering from the excesses of building a TRIO

I will say a few for you later on :thumbsup:

When I stagger back from the Old Considerables later

;)

• Like 2

Ha...a hun one eh...flown by ze Red Baron and some of his blondest friends no doubt ....actually I really rather partial to the early Marineflieger scheme and recall seeing them thundering around all Teutonic like at Greenham Common and USAFE open days, showing everyone what could really be done with the old beast, (kind of like how we showed the colonials how to display the old Toom in proper fashion !)..

Bill, as for trio's.....I was tasked with building all three V-Bombers in six weeks leading up to Telford a few years back...........by the time I'd finished I had to get old Darling to vigorously towel me down...it was a fraught ten minutes I can tell you and though I put up a valiant fight he still managed to pull through, (and not for the first time if memory serves !).

• Like 3

There's new fangled jet thingys will never catch on anyway...there's nothing wrong with the old multi winged, fabric and wood,held together with string types we have!!😃 Considering Darling is dangling from a pink barrage balloon precariously close to those fruit wielding natives,I'm sure a he would gladly swap places and give the General a vigorous towelling down every day!!😉

• Like 2

Bill, as for trio's.....I was tasked with building all three V-Bombers in six weeks leading up to Telford a few years back...........by the time I'd finished I had to get old Darling to vigorously towel me down...it was a fraught ten minutes I can tell you and though I put up a valiant fight he still managed to pull through, (and not for the first time if memory serves !).

That congers up mental imagery that on so many levels, Darkens the soul :)

• Like 2

Crusty, I fully concur and agree with you....these high speed hairdryers are merely a fad...bring back the old kites held together with nothing more than gaffer tape, spital, dope and good luck........ hang on, haven't we already got a lot of those !

Rob, very true, I was in re-hab for several months with only the (very) odd visit from Darling, the Flanders pigeon murderer Slackbladder along with that revolting oik of his and my Fathers wind-breaking partners delinquent son George with only the soothing nightly ministrations of Nursey to see me through to the wee hours and relieve the interminable boredom.... :bouncy:

• Like 2

Nursey is a hottie, but H.M Queen Liz certainly rocks my boat more!!!

Ah but are we talking of the same nursey and rocking boats ?....this is my little battleship , (also answers to the name of Bernard),...built like a Dreadnought only twice the beam, armed with a couple of 18 inch guns and with a touch of the bewildered about her forecastle and rat lines... ...hmmmmm

tve22582-19881223-45.jpg

• Like 4

Ah but are we talking of the same nursey and rocking boats ?....this is my little battleship , (also answers to the name of Bernard),...built like a Dreadnought only twice the beam, armed with a couple of 18 inch guns and with a touch of the bewildered about her forecastle and rat lines... ...hmmmmm

I always wonders how you kept your Tash in shape General

• Like 1

Of course we are talking the same nursey but there was that young filly slackbladder discovered was a German spy,now there was a fruity bit of totty!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Progress !!........following the mayhem that is Telford I thought it about time I got on with this one as it's been a while now..

I've managed to add tonal variation to various panels on the DSG so all panels are now both high and low lit, (by adding progressively more Gull Grey to each pass and EDSG to the panel outer edges). The Dark Green will be added next and the same thing applied to that. Once all thoroughly dry a filter will be added to blend everything together...

The studio strobe flashes wash everything out of course and the effect is more subtle in natural light....but you get the idea.

DSC_0088-001_zpswugnaa4n.jpg

DSC_0087-001_zpswqevfecv.jpg

• Like 13

Brilliant to see some progress on this one mate. Looks like this will be like the GR1 at Coford each panel a totally different shade or grey and green, Airbrush Fun I miss it so much now

• Like 1

Ha, thanks guys...keef you old rascal, how 'bout Sunday !....the AMK Foxhound has just arrived, so it's going to have a fight on its hands ! :fight:

Rob, yep, just can't do this without an airbrush really,once you've sussed out how to use the controllable psi, paint flow rates and thinning ratios it just makes things so much easier......couldn't do without the thing now...

The Tornado's got fairly weathered and patchy at the end of their DSG/Green camo period, (I'll probably have a go at a grey jet at some point as they can look pretty grotty too.... :wicked: ).

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

Ha, thanks guys...keef you old rascal, how 'bout Sunday !....the AMK Foxhound has just arrived, so it's going to have a fight on its hands !

Rob, yep, just can't do this without an airbrush really,once you've sussed out how to use the controllable psi, flow rates and thinning ratios it just makes things so much easier......couldn't do without the thing now...

The Tornado's got fairly weathered and patchy at the end of their DSG/Green camo period, (I'll probably have a go at a grey jet at some point too as they can look pretty grotty too.... :wicked: ).

Do a Pink one they got pretty filthy and look amazing :)

• Like 1

I grew up with the Desert ones ;) Good old Mig Eater :)

Ah good ole' Mig Eater, I took these photos at Mildenhall back in the nineties. Had an interesting chat with these two and then got them to stand next to the old beast..... John Peters was quietly interesting but John Nichol kept butting in with his rather loud, contrary opinion......(was very tempted to say that I wanted to speak to the driver..not the talking luggage !, but thought better of it)....

img077_zpsfi0ah7ds.jpg

Now here's a spot of weathering !......

img076_zpsyc5uc1qm.jpg

Cheers Shaun...certainly will do, (it's just a tad overdue :whistle: )..

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 8

Ah good ole' Mig Eater, I took these photos at Mildenhall back in the nineties. Had an interesting chat with these two and then got them to stand next to the old beast..... John Peters was quietly interesting but John Nichol kept butting in with his rather loud, contrary opinion......(was very tempted to say that I wanted to speak to the driver..not the talking luggage !, but thought better of it)....

Now here's a spot of weathering !......

Cheers Shaun...certainly will do, (it's just a tad overdue :whistle: )..

I was probably standing next to you that day Andy! I do miss Mildenhall's shows

Edited by Greg B
  • Like 1

Those were the days Bill ! looking through some albums the other day made me realise just how lucky we were back then. My friend Russ and I used to thumb lifts all over the country to see what we could see, no internet to let you know what was coming in, just word of mouth, the odd bit of news in Air Pictorial and pot luck. Shows like Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Abingdon, Yeovilton and IAT were something else, (especially IAT's themed events...Phantom and Hunter spring to mind!)....