Revell 1/48th RAF Tornado GR1A.......

Looking bloomin' good there Melchie, bloomin' good indeed. I've started decalling my 14 Sqn GR1 - must post some pic's. ...anyway, are you leaving the radome as is, and what are you using for the camera bay windows? Many eons ago I built the Rev 1/32 monster as a GR1a. I cut a hole for the windows, back filled it with tin foil on plastic card with a piece of negative film (remember that?) stuck on. I then poured Krystal Klear on that, and when that was dry...poured ca glue over it. I then sanded it and polished it up.......it looked crap....

No I jest ........it came out okay......shame I have no photo's other than on wet film.......

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, the MASS flag colour seems to be a bit controversial !!...white or green ?

It really is a most impressive kit putting a lot of other manufacturers to shame, (Kitty Hawk, Hobby Boss et al) and represents fantastic value for money...

Rene, I know what you mean !...I resisted building it until all the resin stuff and decals arrived .......then resistance was futile !...

Bill thanks, I'm going to leave the radome as is just add the lightning strip and Master pitot. I've also heard that the fit isn't the best so I'll be filling the seam and then mask off a new black radome line. As for the SLAR windows I was thinking of doing something similar...cutting them out, thinning the plastic, adding foil and then tinted acetate cut to fit....but your idea of negative material sounds even better !!...I have some in the darkest recesses of the loft, I'll go for a gander later......ta for that !

Marty ,

Mine is in black plastic,

Ooh painful...not the best colour, go for the grey version if you can....

Nothing special here but I thought I'd show a couple of shots of how well everything goes together,

P1170053_zpsce40312e.jpg

P1170054_zps8e31d73b.jpg

There's a fair bit of sanding needed to get the Aires set to fit and you really have to be careful not to go right through the resin or the plastic on the undersides of the engine truncking...it's on the very limit !...so beware. However with everything in it all fits remarkably well......(bear in mind that the sides aren't fitted yet just pushed in as I need to get at the bays to add some more gubbins. Once clicked into place the front bulkhead is actually a very good fit).....

There is some really lovely recessed panel detail on this kit that sadly has been obliterated by the flash...

P1170059_zps4a345ce7.jpg

Still very basic but coming along....

Melchie...

• Like 4

As you said...It's German ;) I'm fairly sure it was white :)

Touche! However I am sure you'll agree that: a, This isn't a german jet and b, the MASS flag is green!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-J_MVsJoXnY/TDZz3mAq2xI/AAAAAAAAAQY/C-Ytz0pWd0c/s1600/Tornado_0004.jpg

or this one,

photostream,

or this one

http://www.tornadosig.com/uploads/4/2/0/0/4200523/9857736_orig.jpg

Edited by wasacop

Item 78, The final picture.

It's been a while, But the ECS exhaust.

Is it me, The angle of the shot, Or,

Is it an odd shape?

Good to see the nosebay CB boxes are closed.

The wheels make a right mess if they're open

on retraction. Ask me how I know.

• Like 3

Pete, good point and one I hadn't noticed.....

Item 78, The final picture.

It's been a while, But the ECS exhaust.

Is it me, The angle of the shot, Or,

Is it an odd shape?

the kit part needs a bit of surgery,

The duct does have depth, (not seen due to flash), but the hole is circular instead of rectangular........I'll break out the micro files...

P1170072_zps909225f0.jpg

Should look like,

http://www.tornado-data.com/images/close%20up/Air%20Cond%20exhaust.jpg

• Like 3

I love the way they have engineered the way this kit goes together with the single piece undersides of the Fuselage. Its great. A problem point of many Tornado kits I have build is that area. I might well pick one of these up some day.

Looking great as always ;)

Ta chaps,

These shots show it well, (they are from our walkaround section show should be OK to show)...

ZA612%204.JPG

So using mini files and my micro chisel I reshaped the duct, (need to back the now rectangular hole next though if the aircraft is shown at rest I might stuff a bag in there.)....I'll use dark alumininium Bare Metal foil to line the duct at the end of the build.

M

P1170074_zps479fe37d.jpg

P1170076_zps09754c44.jpg

• Like 1

Touche! However I am sure you'll agree that: a, This isn't a german jet and b, the MASS flag is green!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-J_MVsJoXnY/TDZz3mAq2xI/AAAAAAAAAQY/C-Ytz0pWd0c/s1600/Tornado_0004.jpg

or this one,

photostream,

or this one

http://www.tornadosig.com/uploads/4/2/0/0/4200523/9857736_orig.jpg

Cool...Point proven :) I sit corrected :)

GOIT!!!!!!!!! :Plol

• Like 1

Begging your pudding, General, Sir....

To my eye, at least,

The upper & lower edges should be

parallel to the ground and the panel line

just above the duct.

Revell made a boo boo. (Oh, The horror)

On such a simple shape too.

Having landed you with yet more work,

I promise I will jet off to the magic kingdom

tomorrow and leave you in peace (ish)

No problem Pete...I also thought it looked a bit skew whiff when I first saw it but a few runs with the file and sanding stick does the trick,

P1170083_zps6417383b.jpg

P1170084_zps0b232eb9.jpg

So you're off back to Rehab eh .....well try and take some of this Lincolnshire weather back with you ........they must get sick of all that sunshine and heat !! oh and do send some more abuse mate...somehow it just wouldn't be the same without it :winkgrin:

• Like 1

OK, finished the extended sections of the U/C bay so that I can finally get the fuselage sewn up. I was wondering what the best solution might be when the answer was staring me in the face...as usual !! I still had the discarded kit parts and as they were designed to fit the side walls the answer was simple. I cut the side pieces off and sanded them to fit,

P1170085_zps626eacea.jpg

Painted and fitted......just needs gentle filing to shape...

P1170087_zps125a6c77.jpg

I also decided to back them with 4mm card as I didn't want the things coming adrift when I close the fuselage sides up....

P1170090_zps64897f32.jpg

Then with the front of the fuselage sides pulled into position I checked the fit was as good as possible.........I'll run a line of Mr liquid putty down the seams once they're in place..

P1170094_zpsf99bf7fe.jpg

An area that did cause a bit of concern was the cockpit tub to engine/fuselage section. At first I glued the parts together before realizing that there was a problem with the fit when I tried to add the fuselage top section !

So after carefully cutting the section away and releasing the cockpit to 'flap about' I tried again and ...voila everything fits perfectly....hoorah ...

P1170093_zps9a5e0457.jpg

The fit is very good if you pay attention !.....carefully line everything up.

P1170096_zps11992584.jpg

P1170098_zps68bba8d6.jpg

Also remember to back any exhaust ports and intakes...I use black wet n dry grit paper as it's nice and matt and is easy to cut to shape....

P1170092_zps8aa9eb3a.jpg

I apologise if this all seems a bit basic to some but I'm hoping to highlight any potential problems with the kit for anyone intending to build it....I know I'll be having a few more !

Next onto finishing the fuselage and airbrakes and onto the wings...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I apologise if this all seems a bit basic to some but I'm hoping to highlight any potential problems with the kit for anyone intending to build it....I know I'll be having a few more !

It doesn't, you do, and I do, in that order.

Thanks a lot!