Revell 1/48th RAF Tornado GR1A.......

FYI General, in the nose wheel bay, there are several black CB box's, the 2 I remember are the one on the forward bulk head and the one on the roof, where the wheel sits...You could only open the top one if the front one was closed. I'll see if I can find a picture for you :)

I had a scadge in 326 on Sunday, whilst getting up close and personal with the Dutch B-25 ;) and it is deffo black!!! :)

• Like 1

Amazed you actually got to sticking some stuff together with the amount you have on at the moment.

Me too mate !....but it's been a bit of fun, I'll try and crack on with a bit more this week. All the spare resin you can produce Rob....you never know there might be enough to build another Buccaneer !!

Zone, thanks old fella...interesting stuff and duly saved....just what I'm looking for and thanks for looking over 326 and confirming the colour, it's much appreciated, (thank Gawd its black !!), ......there are a number of detail areas that I'm looking at, gear bays being one of them. I've found most of the online walkarounds including the ones here but the more the merrier.......tally bally ho !

M

Those main gear bays look nice. It looks like they've made them symmetrical however the left hand bay was slightly different in that it had the ground lock stowage box towards the front bulkhead and the right hand side didn't so the box needs removing from the right hand one, and the left hand bay also had the fatigue meter (dunno how you're gonna get round that without trashing those bays!) The front bulkhead of both bays used to get proper filthy with chinagraph graffitti etc! The sloping covers at the front of the bays were just a black plastic cover. Got to say tho, those are the best representation of Tornado main gear bays I've seen.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas,

Tom, the Eduard stuff is a must for any serious cockpit detailing..you can add switches, knobs etc yourself to bring out the 3D effect and enhance with an oil wash plus they're dead easy to work with. I use them for every build when available and the 'Zoom' simplified versions are particularly good value for money !

Wasa, thanks for the info, they are a massive improvement on the kits 'caverns'. I've since rounded up several online walkaround sets and see what you mean about the gear bay bits and pieces. Some very nice ones of the main gear bays and one that shows the large black boxes in the nose gear bay which will be very useful. The more info the better......

• Like 3

Love the work on the seats, but I have to say, that every set of resin seats that has the straps moulded in with them has them resting on the PSP (Personal Survival Pack). They were never stowed like that, they were crossed over the Para Box and slipped into a recess behind it...

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/hans-hermann_buhling/tornado_ids/images/tornado_ids_37_of_66.jpg

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/hans-hermann_buhling/tornado_ids/images/tornado_ids_43_of_66.jpg

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71270-panavia-tornado-gr1-gr4/

The first 2 are from a Leftwobble IDS

The last one is from the forums here. Look at ZD793, a XV Sqn jet, and there is a great photo taken of the top of the Para Box which shows how they are stowed :)

Also something else that's missing from the kit is the MASS (Master Arming Safety Switch) flag in the left hand front window panel, when it's safe (raised) it shows white...Below I've 'borrowed' the picture from the walkround so I can highlight it for you...Admin if I've done wrong, please remove, and many apologise.

MASS_zpscea91b61.jpg

It's about 2" Square, one side is flat white when viewed from outside and the other is flat black.

Hope this helps.

Zone19

• Like 1

The cockpit and seats look excellent. I do like the Eduard stuff, and your washes seem to bring even more depth.

I agree with that. It's so good that you can see just how dated it looks compared with the the current era of MFD minimalism :)

Love the work on the seats, but I have to say, that every set of resin seats that has the straps moulded in with them has them resting on the PSP (Personal Survival Pack). They were never stowed like that, they were crossed over the Para Box and slipped into a recess behind it...

Zone19

True - but I use the excuse that it's the sloppy way the aircrew (who were tired and emotional after their sortie) left em before the ground crew got the chance to stow em properly.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

True - but I use the excuse that it's the sloppy way the aircrew (who were tired and emotional after their sortie) left em before the ground crew got the chance to stow em properly.

Yea bloody lazy growbags!!! :pilot::chair:

• Like 2

The MASS flag stands up showing its green side when safe and is flush and black when armed! The green is a dark lime green iirc. While you're mucking about with the coaming there are the inspection holes for the brake accumulators which are very prominent. These sit towards the front edge of either side of the coaming. Revell had them right on the 1/32 beast! Surprised they missed then on this one!

• Like 2

The MASS flag stands up showing its green side when safe and is flush and black when armed! The green is a dark lime green iirc. While you're mucking about with the coaming there are the inspection holes for the brake accumulators which are very prominent. These sit towards the front edge of either side of the coaming. Revell had them right on the 1/32 beast! Surprised they missed then on this one!

Lime Green?!?!? I thought they were white!! Mmmmm will have to check this :)

Thanks chaps...more grist for t'mill !....I'm a huge fan of detail, (as you may have noticed ) and whilst it's just not possible to get it all on there nothing to stop you having a bl***y good go ! Great stuff re the coaming, MASS flags etc......this is the kind of intel that I need.

Steve.....

but I use the excuse that it's the sloppy way the aircrew (who were tired and emotional after their sortie) left em before the ground crew got the chance to stow em properly.

You mean you didn't pack your toys away properly after playtime !......naughty boy....see the CO...hat on ! :wicked:

I know what you mean re the stowed seat belts...and all the photos I have show them stowed back too so I'll see what can be done...

Meanwhile in a galaxy, far, far away...well a little sleepy village just north of Waddington actually....

I've managed to get the U/C bay basics done and removed the extra black box on the starboard side, added some extra wiring and washed with oils. There will be a lot more in there once the main gear legs and jacks are fitted and the pastels added...

P1170037_zpsb1bcbaea.jpg

And t'other side...

P1170036_zpsf5afe0c1.jpg

Also finished the nose gear bay. Revell cleverly broke the build down so that the 'roof' of the nose gear bay is moulded onto the base of the cockpit tub making it easy to paint the bay walls and detail the 'roof' at the same time...all fits beautifully. Again more detail to be added but the basic tub is done...I can actually start bunging the thing together now...

P1170040_zps534d15de.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 7