GB Chat

I'm surprised there is so little interest in this groupbuild. There is very little actual building going on. Why?

By the way...where are all the Hampdens?

Andreas

A ) I'm trying to clear a few other models off the ole desk afore I start. I'm stuck on an Amiot 143 right now, [along with numerous others]

B ) I hope to start my Hampden in about 2 weeks time.

Oh well I might just leave my Hampden then as it sounds like this will be the Hampden Group Build soon! I`ll do it as a Coastal torpedo bomber instead!

I agree with others,....it isn`t just this group build which is quiet,.......the whole of BM seems much quieter than it used to be,.......probably over the past 6-8 months?

Quick question for everyone to help me decide my build (being deployed I have 2 choices beaufighter 141 Sqn or Ventura 464 Sqn (only 2 relevant kits I have with me!) What size would the red codes be for 141 Sqn in late 1943?

I`d go for the Ventura if I were you!

Patrice- You should be fine with a Mossie IV as they were in 2 Group and also the Pathfinder/ Light Night Striking Force which were all Bomber Command units (well 2 Group was in Bomber Command when it had Mossie IV`s anyway, but later moved to 2 TAF where it had some Mossie VI`s). If you know the sqn markings that you want to use just post the unit numbers up here and somebody will confirm if they were from Bomber Command.

All the best

Tony

Edit- I`m waiting to see the most obscure Bomber Command type on the build,......whether by aircraft type or unit or both,.....that should be interesting!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Spitfire XII ?

Go on then,........build it! I`d love to see it Enzo and I challenge you to build it along with your very interesting looking Lanc project! Was it with a Fighter Affiliation Flight at an OTU or something like that or a station hack?

Cheers

Tony

Was it with a Fighter Affiliation Flight at an OTU or something like that or a station hack?

595 Sqn was a Fighter Affiliation Unit based at Aberporth. It had at least five Spitfire XIIs on charge at one time. MB804 was delivered shortly before VE Day and was coded 7B-N. There are no photos available. There has been some speculation that the Spitfires were painted in the standard Bomber Command scheme. Dark Green and Dark Earth uppersurfaces, Night undersurfaces with a high demarcation line and Dull Red codes and serials would make for a very interesting scheme. However, I would imagine that they would have been left in the Day Fighter Scheme. I would speculate that the yellow leading edges were overpainted and the cannons removed.

Oh well I might just leave my Hampden then as it sounds like this will be the Hampden Group Build soon! I`ll do it as a Coastal torpedo bomber instead!

I agree with others,....it isn`t just this group build which is quiet,.......the whole of BM seems much quieter than it used to be,.......probably over the past 6-8 months?

I`d go for the Ventura if I were you!

Patrice- You should be fine with a Mossie IV as they were in 2 Group and also the Pathfinder/ Light Night Striking Force which were all Bomber Command units (well 2 Group was in Bomber Command when it had Mossie IV`s anyway, but later moved to 2 TAF where it had some Mossie VI`s). If you know the sqn markings that you want to use just post the unit numbers up here and somebody will confirm if they were from Bomber Command.

All the best

Tony

Edit- I`m waiting to see the most obscure Bomber Command type on the build,......whether by aircraft type or unit or both,.....that should be interesting!

Good morning Tony

Thank you I will search in my decals sheet stash ..

Patrice

Hi All,

Can I join in the fun with a Revell, nee matchbox Vickers Wellesley?

If so I propose to build the example from this site http://fjexpeditions.com/frameset/GJMostert.htm

The image itself can be found at http://fjexpeditions.com/desert/history/GJMostert/slideshow.htm?179

Mostert0186.jpg

L2712 one of the last two examples in RAF service with 47 Squadron Air Echelon prior to disbandment on 03/03/1943.

Now the problem(s)!

I think the top is Dark Earth and Mid Stone, or possibly Light Earth, (Q1, any ideas?), but what would the undersurface be? I am swayed between Azure Blue or Sky, Q2, any ideas?).

The panniers appear to have a greater contrast, (not counting the area in shade), between the two colours, so will they be Dark Earth and Dark Green?, (Q3)

Markings. I can see no roundels below the wing and a possible smudge that may or may not be a roundel on the upper wing.

I am wondering what the relevant scheme would be for a bomber at this time in the M.E. and if this scheme does not correspond to this then to what? (Q4). I have a vague memory from way to far back of a Transport Command scheme something like this but I can not remember where from.

Any help gratefully accepted and greatly appreciated!

Christian the Married and exiled to africa, just to the South of where these aeroplanes plied their trade!

That`s a really interesting Wellesley but it isn`t `Bomber Command,......as it was part of the Middle East Air Force! I`ve been looking for photos of later Wellesleys and that is he best one yet, I would say that it looks to be DE/ Mid Stone & Azure Bluebut it could be faded Temperate Sea Scheme too, especially as they were being used for coastal patrols by this stage by 47 Sqn?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Cheers Tony,

Yes I found out about the coastal patrols last night! Oh well, I will just have to do a non-GB WIP!

I was also wondering about the possibilities of a TSS finish as well...

Cheers,

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

Cheers Tony,

Yes I found out about the coastal patrols last night! Oh well, I will just have to do a non-GB WIP!

I was also wondering about the possibilities of a TSS finish as well...

Cheers,

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

IHiya Christian,

I`ll certainly follow your WIP with great interest. I have seen a photo of a later Wellesley and the upper wing roundels were in the place where the `smudge' appears on your photo,......ie further inboard than usual for the Wellesley but more in keeping with wartime roundel placement.

I`m split between the desert of TSS colours,.......probably 55% in favour of the desert scheme and the darker colours on the bomb carrier can be explained by the fac that they are more sheltered from the sun. Photos of 47 Sqn`s coastal patrol Wellesley`s have shown the bomb doors removed from the pods in order to carry depth charges. Note how your Wellesley has retained the side gun positions introduced in East Africa.

Good Luck mate, you are looking into a subject in which I have great interest but little firm info,

Cheers

Tony.

I was just gluing the interior of an Airfix Dambuster Lancaster together today and found the GB by googling for builds of the new Airfix Lanc. I must say I'm really tempted to join this GB . I was inspired to build a Lanc after seeing the two Lancasters fly down the Derwent Valley a few weeks ago....

I was just gluing the interior of an Airfix Dambuster Lancaster together today and found the GB by googling for builds of the new Airfix Lanc. I must say I'm really tempted to join this GB . I was inspired to build a Lanc after seeing the two Lancasters fly down the Derwent Valley a few weeks ago....

Oh, I'd like to add also another one Dambuster by Hasegawa...

Welcome on board everyone.

Stuart, why restrict yourself to just one? :winkgrin:

Pete

Thanks Pete - I might do the Blenhiem as I've fancied doing it for ages. I'm not sure if the Battle would count actually as the markings I had were from the actions during the Battle of France and I'm not sure if they were part of Bomber Command then.

I'll post up a thread when I get a moment.

Cheers

Stuart

Edited by Sir T

I've also found an Italeri (Academy) Fortress I in the stash I could build. It says 90 Sqn Coastal Command on the box but the references I have state that 90 Sqn was a bomber command unit so I'm guessing this would be elligable as well?

Stuart,

I think you're ok with a Battle. There is an organisation chart in The Fight at Odds which puts the AASF squadrons under Bomber Command.

Cheers

Pete

Ah ok - might go with that then as it's a little different. Need to get a resin nose for it though.

Cheers

Stuart

Evening guys

Having let everyone down on the D-Day GB due to work pressures, I really fancy joining this GB.

I have;

Russian Frog reproduction of the Ventura moulded in bright yellow !

Frog Mitchell with British markings.

Airfix Hampden

Frog Boston

Revell Dambuster Lancaster

Contrail Bristol Bombay

Airfix Fairey Battle

Airfix Blenheim

Airfix Stirling

All the above in 1/72, happy for you guys to vote for which one for my son Dylan & I to build shall we say close the vote Friday midnight UK ?

Cheers Pat

Bombay for me too Pat,......but did any actually serve in Bomber Command? I thought that they all went overseas or were used by Transport units at home?

I would also like to see what you can do with the old Frog Boston.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot