GB Chat

This one has snucked up on me. [Not easy to do with 4 Merlins/Hercules]

I'm not ready....well, I am, but I'm not.

Need to get organised. What shall it be? I have most of the Airfix heavies, and a few mediums too.

I might do the Hampden.

I'm a little bit underprepared for this too actually. I'm in the middle of doing the Airfix Typhoon and think I might have to shelve it in order to start work on this.

I'm thinking... 1/42 Trumpeter Wellington with some White Metal bomber crew figures that I purchased at a show many many years ago. Put together into a diorama.

However, we will see!

Chris

• Like 1

I will be building Lancaster III PA990 UM-R2 of 626 Sqn based at RAF Wickenby. The aircraft was named Fanner's Follies.

The project is a commission from a friend of mine whose father, P/O WFC Fanner, was captain of this aircraft during early 1945.

Here is the aircraft and her intrepid crew.

FF01.jpg

• Like 2

The plan was a Revell Halifax, but having finally moved back to the old house and got everything back from storage, in the stash I discovered a slightly started Trumpy Wellington (pilot's seat assembled, fuselage interior very badly painted) which is calling to me. Decisions decisions.......

Pete

Revell 1:72 Lancaster Mk.I/III :)

I'll be building the version that doesn't have the yellow fins and the bulge below the fuselage.

I may not start for a bit because I've got a couple builds on the go at the moment, but I'll get it into the GB at some point

K

Edited by kwaterous

What I think (or hope!) about this group build is that a lot of us have a personal link with the subject. There's a lot of family members, relatives, even friends, who served in Bomber Command during World War II and the stories that come out are nothing short of extraordinary.

For me, it was historical aviation that got me interesting in flying in the first place. When I was 8 years old and just getting into the whole aviation field, my neighbour told me that he had been a navigator on Halifaxes during World War II with a Canadian Squadron. As such, as a wide eyed young boy, I'd listen to his stories with wide open eyes and be amazed at some of the things he'd say. I still remember today, him proudly displaying his "Caterpillar Club" tie after he had to bail out coming home from an operation.

It's a long story of coincidence, but my sister ended up meeting his Granddaughter at University and they became great friends. As such, I emailed her and her parents a few years ago, trying to find out more details. I didn't get a squadron number, but know that he trained in Canada, it was an RCAF unit based at Croft and Middleton St George. I also believe that there was another station, possibly Linton On Ouse? However... that is as much as I can recall. One day, I hope to do more research into this and find out his exact aircraft. The trouble is, until then, I spend too much time away from work.

Sadly, the Gentleman in question has now passed away. Bearing in mind that he enlightened me, inspired me and encouraged me at this age, he effectively allowed me to persue my career in flying. And one day, I would love to find out the details of his aircraft, his crew, and make a model of it as a personal tribute to someone who made such a dramatic impact on my life.

Chris

• Like 2

I unfortunately lack Chris' personal connection to Bomber Command as all my family were in the Army during all the major wars of the last century (predominantly the Black Watch, Canadian Black Watch and the Scots Greys) and I myself am a member of the Royal Engineers Reserves. But I'm hoping to build a Hampden or maybe a Whitley if I can find decent kits of either.

No real links here. I do remember, however, way back at primary school our headmaster mentioned that he flew bombers, but that after seven missions (I think) he was shot down, and he said it in such a way that even at the tender age of seven or so, I realised for the first time that it wasn't all heroism and glory.

I think this the loss, for John Upton

http://www.aircrewremembered.com/BomberCommandDatabaseSearch/?q=JB548

• Like 1

WW2 aircraft aren't really my scale modelling thing however I did read Derek Robinson's superb novel 'Damned Good Show' which is set in Bomber Command in the early war years and awakened a personal interest in the Handley Page Hampden. I also recently finished Guy Gibson's 'Enemy Coast Ahead' and that covers ops in Gibson's Hampden 'Admiral Foo Bang'. So, I do have the Airfix 1/72nd Hampden kit in the stash, this GB could be the excuse to make it :)

Michael

My only personal connection is listening to my grandfather's stories about watching the bombers come over The Hague and hoping that there were no important targets near him. He also says he watched several get shot down, but I never got details.

I've a Tamiya 1/48th Lanc in the stash. I want to make it as BBMF's Phantom of the Rhur and modify the kit to current standards.

I have plans to scratch my own bomb bay, modify the rudders and add some Lincoln wheels. Although not an aircraft that flew with Bomber Command in WWII, as a flying memorial would a BBMF'S machine be acceptable?

Tom

I did wonder this yesterday actually - I was wondering what I would say if somebody wanted to make a diorama of the Two Lancs flying together, and came to the end result that because they are flying as a memorial, it would be ok?

I'll see what Pete says, but I think I would be happy to let any markings from the BBMF Lancaster or Vera, or even Just Jane, be used.

While my Father's war record says he was trained to service Lancasters (and Mosquitos), he was never attached to a squadron that operated them. However, that does give me just about enough of a motivation to include a Lanc in my long term project of "Aircraft my Father MIGHT have fixed" :)

To that end I have the Airfix Dambuster Lancaster which I plan to do something unusual.

This won't be for some time however as I have a set of builds that need to be done for other projects and for Telford, so this probably won't get started until after Telford.

Just as a hint, this build will included acrylic rod and PE prop-blurs ;)

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 1

I did wonder this yesterday actually - I was wondering what I would say if somebody wanted to make a diorama of the Two Lancs flying together, and came to the end result that because they are flying as a memorial, it would be ok?

I'll see what Pete says, but I think I would be happy to let any markings from the BBMF Lancaster or Vera, or even Just Jane, be used.

I'm with Chris. I think it's within the spirit of the build, so yes.

Pete

Thanks chaps... count me in then!

Tom

No connection to Bomber Command either (my Dad was a fitter on Baltimores with the Desert Air Force). I've still not decided exactly what to build, most likely will be the Airfix bomber resupply set. Other possiblities are: Airfix Hampden, Revell Lancaster (the newer version), or a Tamiya 1/72 mosquito that I'd forgotten about.

Think I will join in on this one, can't decide between a Matchbox Wellington or the Fly Whitley. Given the amount of work I have on my plate already, the Wellington might be the more sensible choice but then when it comes to modelling, I have never exactly been renowned for sensible choices!

Better make up my mind before Saturday!

Martin

The Heyford carried on as a bombing trainer until 1940/41 and was declared obsolete as bomber in June 1939. Would the type be eligible for this GB?

• Like 1

I don't think Heyfords would be eligible as they served with bombing and gunnery schools which, as far as I know, were part of Training Command. Likewise for 97 Squadron which might have had them on charge in late 1939 but was also part of Training Command.

Happy to be proved wrong

Oooops, if you can find a Heyford from 97 Sdn it would be eligible, it is listed as part of Bomber Command in Sept 39 in Webster and Frankland vol IV

Edited by Potato Pete

Well, it seems the Hampden is looking like a favourite for some people. Which is great to hear. :)

My main effort (I hope) will be a 10 Sqn Halifax ZA-R, JB910. My wife's cousin was the bomb aimer for the Plzen operation on the night of 16/17 May 1943.

• Like 1

Are we here already?? ISTR signing up for this a while back. No family links to Bomber Command for me, but my English Master at school was a Bomber Command Lancaster veteran. Wish I could remember more about his experiences (not that he spoke much about them) ie mark of Lanc and Sqn; would be good to build something in his memory.