Dan Air Civil Dakota artwork up on Airfix.com

John

Heres a BOAC one post war. It shows cargo door just about! Funny thing is I flew in this one at Greenham Common in 1974 and was in Air Anglia colours.

G-AGJV_zpsbdebcb28.jpg

And note the over engine cowl intakes!

As a follow up to the pic of 'GJV above I have come across more pics of 'JV in the Air Anglia colours taken at Greenham 1974. Differences to the airframe I noticed were the addition of undercart doors and the removal of those intakes over the engines!

But also as I mentioned a few posts ago, the ESCI kit hat an insert to the door area to make ther kit as a passenger only one and the cabin seats.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't some original pre-war DC-3s have Wright Cyclones?

Many of them did. The DC-3 was designed around the Cyclone and early production aircraft had the Cyclone as standard; the Twin Wasp was offered as an option. The Cyclone, as a single-row nine cylinder engine, had a larger diameter than the twin-row fourteen cylinder Twin Wasp, which is why the Twin Wasp cowling is a bit longer and tapers slightly towards the front. The firewall was the same diameter regardless of the engine fitted.

Post war, I know that most of Australian National Airways' ex-RAAF C-47s were re-engined with ex-Lodestar Cyclones (said to be RAAF surplus, but that hasn't been confirmed to my knowlege) because Ivan Holyman "did a deal" and was able to sell off the Twin Wasps thus liberated for a profit. This cowl is distinctly different from the pre-war Cyclone cowl. Hopefully a resin edition in both 1:72 and 1:48 will shortly be available (as soon as I've had my 2D drawings converted to 3D so that masters can be prepared).

Question is though, what are Airfix going to do about the interior structural detail on the C-47 kit? Look at any cabin shot of a post-war "civilianised" C-47 and you'll see acres of smooth panelling on the walls hiding all the ribs and stringers which Airfix so faithfully reproduced on the C-47 kit.

I'm doing a Dan-Air conversion of the C-47 boxing at the moment, and have had to line the fuselage with plasticard and filler to cover up the structural details...

Question is though, what are Airfix going to do about the interior structural detail on the C-47 kit? Look at any cabin shot of a post-war "civilianised" C-47 and you'll see acres of smooth panelling on the walls hiding all the ribs and stringers which Airfix so faithfully reproduced on the C-47 kit.

I'm doing a Dan-Air conversion of the C-47 boxing at the moment, and have had to line the fuselage with plasticard and filler to cover up the structural details...

I would guess they will dodge this bullet by making it a civvy freighter.

Marty...

According to my research, wartime BOAC Dakotas were stock C-47s, with a large cargo door and no sound-proof lining or décor of any kind, but with fairly comfortable 1940s-style airline seats in place of the side-facing bench seating of military Dakotas. Long-range fuel tanks were installed in the forward passenger cabin of some aircraft while the rear of the cabin was for freight, with no seats.

Nils

• 2 weeks later...

A question about the old Airfix kit for the G-AJIC BEA Northold 1950:

I found that was an C-47A-30DL Dakota III, but on the instructions you see, need a seven window and a small door.

I'm not sure about that, pictures shown, I think so, a big door. Unfortunately no pics from the left side, so six or seven windows, what is right?

modelldoc

According to my research, wartime BOAC Dakotas were stock C-47s, with a large cargo door and no sound-proof lining or décor of any kind, but with fairly comfortable 1940s-style airline seats in place of the side-facing bench seating of military Dakotas. Long-range fuel tanks were installed in the forward passenger cabin of some aircraft while the rear of the cabin was for freight, with no seats.

Nils

I flew in an Air Atlantigue one at North Weald airshow back in 1986. That one was devoid of any cladding to the interior. Just framework and green paint with passenger seats. G-AMSV I think it was. I recall looking out the window on the 20 minute flight and noticed rivets and fasteners at rear of nacelles vibrating!!! Nice! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm with most of you in thinking that most post war UK reg Dakotas were converted C-47's. I worked for Air Atlantique for a few years and all of theirs were C-47's, the civil conversions were done by Scottish Aviation at Prestwick and entailed removing the radio operator/navigators stations behind the cockpit, adding an extra window in that area either side, this put in two extra rows of seats if I remember correctly, adding the undercarriage doors (laughably called Speed Doors in the IPC), fitting the broad prop blades (if not already fitted, the CAA didn't like the needle props for some reason), fitting out the cabin with liners and seating, including a primitive galley and stewards position at the rear of the cabin. A quick visual identity of ex military airframes is the lack of a tail cone for glider towing although this is not conclusive.

AA's aircraft were all stripped of any cabin liners as the seats were only fitted for pleasure flying sorties, and what a pain they were to fit and remove. The rest of the time they were bare for ad hoc cargo work or fitted out for oil pollution control work.

I can confirm that it is quite normal for the rivets in the cowlings to vibrate and revolve!

Happy days, and I can feel a model of my favourite G-AMPY coming on.

• Like 2

I never went to Ronaldsway but did go to Cardiff with the mail once in PZ when she was in Transport Command colours. The loader helping us said he hadn't realised the RAF still operated Daks..........!

Edited by Coors54

All,

Thought you might be interested in some pictures that I got when Atlantique sold PZ to a German operator (Air Service Berlin) from Templehof airport. They wanted a genuine Airlift veteran to offer pleasure flights over Berlin in and they bought PZ and refurbished her, putting in an all new interior and giving her a coat of Mercedes silver. This was in 2001 and they operated her successfully until she had engine failure in 2010 and crashed. Fortunately no one was killed but she was a write off. :weep:

So here she is after arriving in front of that terminal building.

AKlug2013_zps6ae13365.jpg

Those doors we have been debating.

AKlug2021_zpsbf0d33fd.jpg

The tail cone and a good shot of the skin ripples and panel lines.

AKlug2048_zpsa3df3157.jpg

More rivets and look at that wing joint flange!

AKlug2144_zps30b5fc6f.jpg

• Like 2