Academy P40M..... Ouch the decals

Hello all,

Here's the latest one of the bench. It's Academy's 1/72 P40M.

I'm enjoying building straight from the box of late and this one is OOB save for the addition of the seat harness.....

I have been trying for a while to effectively pre shade and I'm quite happy with how this one turned out. It seems that it's very easy to put too much paint on and loose the shading. This time I left it wanting, less is more it seems.

The kit goes together very nicely and the build was going very well until... The decals, then oh dear what can I say... Very thick, they would not settle no matter what I tried. I should have thrown them in the bin when the 'shark mouth' wouldn't settle. I decided to paint the 'shark mouth' and I'm very happy with the result.

So, lots of positives and one big lesson, be wary of Academy decals....

Comments & critique welcome.

Thanks for looking.

L.

imagejpg8_zps39e95683.jpg

imagejpg7_zpsee030e93.jpg

imagejpg6_zpsce1b2437.jpg

imagejpg1_zps072e6b95.jpg

imagejpg4_zps85cbac4a.jpg

imagejpg5_zps20694f0c.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsa2d5b15c.jpg

imagejpg3_zps332af9a5.jpg

• Like 11

Looks great, makes me want to build one in that color scheme. Can't believe you painted the shark mouth, looks great!

I know what you mean about Academy's decals, the older ones are terrible although I didn't have too many issues with their more recent ones in the Me-262 kit.

• Like 1

That's one dirty girl, great save on the shark mouth. Academy decals are generally cack which is a shame as they do come up with some interesting schemes. Their Tomahawk in 1/48 had cartograph decals which are great.

• Like 1