Messerschmitt Bf 109G-14 JG 3 flown by Oskar Romm camo ?

hajt

Hello

I would appreciate Your opinions concerning this can of worms.....

Based on my references,I am being offered between two different camo schemes for this 109G-14; first is 82/83/76 and the other 74/75/76.
Now what would be most obvious choice,the 82/83 sounds suspicious,it is the option given by decal sheet.

The new AZ Model G-14 1/72 scale has the normal three grey option.
My only resources are two b/w pics where this 109 has taller (wooden) rudder but with shorter tailwheel and Erla canopy.

This is either 4.JG 3 or 10.JG 3 plane and Werkenummer is 462919 and its number is white 7 and vertical line (or cross bar).

Any opinions would be highly welcome.
TIA
Teemu H

Hi Teemu

latewar Luftwaffe colours are still controversial. but a lot more info has come out, so with a Wrk.nummer you know where and when built, and have a chance at knowing what the factory scheme was...and if a photo, if it's been repainted etc etc

A hunt at Asisbiz gets this, http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109G/JG3.7-(W7+I)-Romm.html

Here is a Bf.109G14 of III/JG3, flown by oblt. Oskar Romm, Germany, autumn 1944. Generic sceme RLM 74/75/76 with spots of RLM70 and RLM74. Fuselage markings overpainted.

Bf-109G6-7.JG3-(W7+I)-Oskar-Romm-Germany

If place and date are correct, and given it's still very much a offensive scheme [as opposed to the defensive implied by the late war greens, or green/grey combo which tend to have a heavier mottle] I'd agree with 74/74/76, though the darker colours could be the late war dark green.

Hopefully my posting up the image will winkle out some real Luftwaffe buffs with better references.

You could join the Luftwaffe Experten Message Board, well worth being a member just to have a look at what has already been discussed, there maybe more info on this.

I just had a quick look but nothing obvious turned up.

HTH

T

Were the spots not indicative of Erla built 109's? (The cowl bulge would certainly appear to be from the Erla production run) I'll check the wk number in my references later unless an Experten arrives soon.

Duncan B

Were the spots not indicative of Erla built 109's? (The cowl bulge would certainly appear to be from the Erla production run) I'll check the wk number in my references later unless an Experten arrives soon.

Duncan B

Hi Duncan

What about spots of RLM 02 instead or with RLM 70 ?

In the pic they do look dark so 70 would be obvious......

Hi Duncan

What about spots of RLM 02 instead or with RLM 70 ?

In the pic they do look dark so 70 would be obvious......

the prop blades are rlm 70. some of the spots could be. who knows really.

Here's a coupe of 1943 era colour photos

1.jg52_wh10.2.jpg

this is particular you can make out RLM70 and RLM02, to the right of the radio lead, as well as 74 and 75 in the mottle

1.jg52_wh10.3.jpg

• Like 1