Propeller Tips - Yellow Warning Marks

PLC1966

Evening,

Does anyone have any tips for painting the yellow safety marks on the end of propeller blades, other than mask and paint, mask and paint.

It is probably the one silly little thing that really get my goat when modelling. Always mask at an angle, paint seepage etc

Any helpful tips.....other than just doing jet aircraft.....

Dipping the blades into yellow paint can work.

I wish it did. Recently all my attempts at dipping have come out skew-whiff and oi ent happy. Plus, yellow is one of those evil colours that stains everything yet is thinner than milk, so you need to go again and again and again.

I've always had very satisfactory results with hand-painting, to be honest. Few propeller blades are broad enough to make a straight edge hard to achieve. For me the most important thing is the white undercoat, for maximum colour density. And it's only just occurred to me that to start with the tips and then add the black on the rest of the blade may be the way to go in future. You've probably been doing it that way for years ...

As you say just mask and spray

Spray the tip colour first, cut a strip of masking tape the same width as the tip and cut into lengths, 1 for each blade, apply one wrapped around tip of each blade, edge in line with the prop tip, This ensures each blade will have the same width tip mark, finally just wrap another bit of tape over the very end of each blade just to seal the ends, and spray the prop colour.

8482376232_421253f998_c.jpg

I think I would be tempted to thin out the paint, so that the blade would dip naturally into the paint. Tricky part might be to dip each part equally deep into the paint. Obviously, one would have to use a piece of toilet paper to soak up the excessive paint off the tip.

Edit: Maybe use a pencil to scribble a mark on each propeller, to avoid having to simply eyeball it all when dipping the propeller tips into the paint.

Edited by Decoman
  • Like 1

The simplest method I have found is the spray,mask,spray method.The full gen on this can be found in my Seafire XV build here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234942821-seafire-xv-in-148th-scalefinished/

y4mIuyXXJINytNRa0k1bp4oHeJlvFktwI5D7bMyz

Masking the same way used to work when I brush painted too,it's just that I could never do the job without leaving the meniscus line at the edge of the masking tape.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Replace photo URL

it's only just occurred to me that to start with the tips and then add the black on the rest of the blade may be the way to go in future. You've probably been doing it that way for years ...

Yes. Never done it any other way.

• 7 years later...

Ok my method. Paint prop first then mask for tip. Then paint the tip in the same colour as the prop. This seals the edge of the tape as it dries. If you want to be really sure do 2 coats. Then you can apply the tip colour without bleeding. I also use this method for painting body camouflage 

As an off-shoot of this topic, does anyone know how wide the yellow tip should be in 1/72 scale? I thought I had the info saved somewhere, but I can't find it now. 

Chris

10 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

does anyone know how wide the yellow tip should be in 1/72 scale?

I have an Airfix Westland Whirlwind instruction sheet that quoted 1.41mm for the yellow tips. I reckon that’s close to 6 inches in old money 1ft:1in scale.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I have an Airfix Westland Whirlwind instruction sheet that quoted 1.41mm for the yellow tips. I reckon that’s close to 6 inches in old money 1ft:1in scale.

4 inches full scale, 4 x 25.4mm= 101.6mm

in 1/72 101.6 mm divide by 72 = 1.41mm scale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1