RAF Lakenheath/USAFE/RAF and other regular visitors Project - Childhood memories!

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I was told that it was off to Lakenheath. 

Been gone from Tangmere a couple of years now. 

I'd love to see what's being done with the old girl. Hope it goes well. 

I'd better ask.... What's a BCWM!? 🤔

It's OK, I solved the riddle! 

But what's a BDR airframe?? 

BCWM is Bentwaters Cold War Museum

https://www.bcwm.org.uk/

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I was told that it was off to Lakenheath. 

Been gone from Tangmere a couple of years now. 

I'd love to see what's being done with the old girl. Hope it goes well. 

I'd better ask.... What's a BCWM!? 🤔

It's OK, I solved the riddle! 

But what's a BDR airframe?? 

When Tangmere wanted to dispose of it, it's destination was the scrapper at Lakenheath, however it was transferred to us via NMUSAF. It was our fifth attempt at getting a serviceable T-33. Know anyone with a spare canopy, ours is somewhat crazed with age. Needs the big main gear doors too, but we can make those if required. Just about ready to refit the engine and the rear fuselage.

NMUSAF came to see it last year, very impressed with our work.

Arrival day with a quick reassembly.

20443f82-bacc-492b-a3f4-a34e6d8bd000.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bar side said:

Alconbury RF-4C is always good.  Or a TR-1 to go with the Blackbird?

Barside, watch the U's on the gogglebox last night ?

It was going one way all the way through I thought. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2017 at 7:31 PM, rob Lyttle said:

Wow Tim, that's quite a collection you've got going on. Nice to see them, and sorry you lost so much with pee- bucket.

The reason I'm chipping in is.... I've been using an old Lockheed T33 trainer that is sitting at Tangmere museum for reference for a build.

She's in a condition of being worked on occasionally.

But there's an emblem on the tail, and it seems it could relate to a USAF wing or group out of lakenheath.

Let me show you...

IMG_20171014_143215

Definately the 48thTFW Wing patch there.

1 minute ago, PLC1966 said:

I watched, gutted with that chance in the last minute, keeper closed down the U's striker quickly.....had he scored would have been into the final...

I need to look at what else to build for this thread, U2/TR1 is a good call, not sure whats out there, I'm sure the Mildenhall airframe was U2R, Alconbury TR-1? Would like to do a 1/48 RF-4C, but none out there? Is there a 1/72 ? I prefer 1/48.

Still have an F16C Aggressor in the stash.

Any ideas welcome!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

The patch may have something to do with the fact the 48th TFW was based in France for a long period - maybe the T33 served at the same base whilst in the French Air Force and the badge was placed on the tail when it went back to the USAF?

Also on a T33 thread:

48th TFW

The 48th Wing served the longest in France, from 10 July 1952 through 15 January 1960. The men and women of the 48th worked hard to develop Chaumont-Semoutiers Air Base into one of the best air bases in Europe. Its squadrons remained unchanged while flying three different type of fighters, the F-84G, F-86F and the F-100D, and maintaining the capability to fight either a conventional or nuclear war if need be.

An open house was held once a year, with great numbers of French civilians in attendance. In 1954, over 15,000 attended the Armed Forces Day event to see static aircraft displays, watch flight demonstrations, listen to a French army band and other activities. In just over three years since construction began, Chaumont Air Base became an important part of the Haute-Marne region.

To bolster Franco-American relations, the 48th Wing Staff came up with the idea of changing the wing insignia. Chaumont AB is located not far from the workshops of Frédéric Bartholdi – the French architect which designed the Statue of Liberty. The new design incorporated the Statue of Liberty, and throughout Europe the 48th became known as the "Statue of Liberty" Wing.[citation needed] On 4 July 1954 the mayor of the town of Chaumont bestowed the honorary title of the Statue de la Liberté (Statue of Liberty) Wing upon the 48th. It is the only USAF unit with both an official name and a numerical designation.

Not long after the wing proudly took on the title of The Statue of Liberty Wing, the wing's comptroller discovered the factory that had produced the actual Statue of Liberty was only 25 miles from Chaumont. In fact, one of the actual molds still existed. The factory agreed to cast a three-meter replica of the statue for $1,700. The wing raised the funds by raffling off a 1956 French Ford Versailles sedan. The statue still stands in Chaumont as a memorial to the service of the 48th Fighter-Bomber Wing in France, with a replica located at RAF Lakenheath.

In November 1953, the wing exchanged its F-84Cs for newer North American F-86 Sabre (F models), receiving 75 aircraft, 25 per squadron. Then word came in late 1956 that the Air Force would exchange the wing's Sabres for a newer aircraft: the North American F-100 Super Sabre. The larger-bodied F-100 was capable of carrying more ordnance than the F-86 and was one of the first fighters designed to operate at supersonic speeds. 90 single-seat F-100D aircraft were received, along with 13 F-100F dual-seaters.

The wing began realigning its units 15 March 1957, as part of an Air Force worldwide reorganization. The 48th Fighter-Bomber Group was inactivated on 8 December 1957 when its component squadrons were assigned directly to the 48th FBW as the Air Force reorganized its wings into the tri-deputate system.

As part of yet another organization change, the 48th dropped the "Fighter Bomber" designation 8 July 1958, becoming the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing. The three flying units also changed designation, becoming tactical fighter squadrons.

Despite the close relationship between the wing and the people of Chaumont, international relationships between France and the US deteriorated in the late 1950s, resulting in French President Charles de Gaulle demanding the removal of NATO forces from the country. Under a project known as "Red Richard", USAFE relocated its units from France to other locations around Europe. Simultaneously, the advent of the inter-continental ballistic missile had reduced the United States' dependence on European-based airborne medium-and long ranged bombers.

On 15 January 1960, the 48 TFW redeployed to an empty Strategic Air Command heavy bomber base, RAF Lakenheath, England. In the early the wing's three fighter squadrons lifted off Chaumont's runway and, after making farewell passes over the outlying village, headed toward the English Channel.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim Moff said:

I watched, gutted with that chance in the last minute, keeper closed down the U's striker quickly.....had he scored would have been into the final...

Had a feeling in the water since the first leg one weren't enough, to be fair the other game proved two weren't enough.  Still all felt kinda pre-season. 

1 hour ago, PLC1966 said:

That was a museum resto so I would not trust it. The Machine in question never served with the US Forces, it was a FMAP airframe suppled to the French Air Force.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim Moff said:

I need to look at what else to build for this thread, U2/TR1 is a good call, not sure whats out there, I'm sure the Mildenhall airframe was U2R, Alconbury TR-1?

The TR-1 and U-2R were effectively the same airframe - Italeri did a kit in 1/48, variously issued in different versions and under different brands. See the timeline here:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-822-lockeed-tr-1a-b--115288

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Didn’t get it on screen, was just watching on the BBC live feed.  Yep, once they levelled on 10 it was going to be an up hill fight.  Gutted, but playoffs is always a good season

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Had a feeling in the water since the first leg one weren't enough, to be fair the other game proved two weren't enough.  Still all felt kinda pre-season. 

Got to be there to have a chance, but yes, it was always a long shot

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

I need to look at what else to build for this thread, U2/TR1 is a good call, not sure whats out there, I'm sure the Mildenhall airframe was U2R, Alconbury TR-1? Would like to do a 1/48 RF-4C, but none out there? Is there a 1/72 ? I prefer 1/48.

Still have an F16C Aggressor in the stash.

Any ideas welcome!

Well we got there, got a chance to play.  Gutted but not entirely unexpected.

As far as I know the difference between a U-2R and a TR-1 is entirely internal, batteries I believe?  Although I am sure the exterior antenna vary slightly.  My TR-1 is the 1/48 Italeri.  Pretty cheap & not bad.  Used the Xtradecal set which has UK visitors on it.  I don’t believe any were ever officially allocated here, so went with one known to have visited

As to RF-4C, there is an Italeri one that is either C or E burner cans.  Chisel nose only.  That’s what mine is.  I believe the is a later airframe curved nose version (Hasegawa?) but I haven’t seen much of that one.  I have a second RF-4 in the stash that will probably be a German E

Did the Academy F-16C as a Bentwaters aggressor- Xtradecal do a set for that too.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bar side said:

As far as I know the difference between a U-2R and a TR-1 is entirely internal, batteries I believe?  Although I am sure the exterior antenna vary slightly.  My TR-1 is the 1/48 Italeri.  Pretty cheap & not bad.  Used the Xtradecal set which has UK visitors on it.  I don’t believe any were ever officially allocated here, so went with one known to have visited

As to RF-4C, there is an Italeri one that is either C or E burner cans.  Chisel nose only.  That’s what mine is.  I believe the is a later airframe curved nose version (Hasegawa?) but I haven’t seen much of that one.  I have a second RF-4 in the stash that will probably be a German E

Did the Academy F-16C as a Bentwaters aggressor- Xtradecal do a set for that too.

did you get this one?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-810-rf-4-c-e-photo-phantom-ii--203291

Or the later RF4E - did it have the alternative cans in for the RF-4C?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-2737-rf-4e-f-phantom-ii--986238

1 minute ago, Tim Moff said:

did you get this one?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-810-rf-4-c-e-photo-phantom-ii--203291

Or the later RF4E - did it have the alternative cans in for the RF-4C?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-2737-rf-4e-f-phantom-ii--986238

Yes the top link.  That’s the fella.  It does have both cans in the kit although neither are great but I fitted them anyway.  There are resin ones out there.  Have to say that the whole body is a little skinny compared to my ERTL F-4D.  You couldn’t swap the canopy, that’s for sure.  But finished & together you would have to look very closely

oYodcxY.jpg

The RF hadn’t had its matt coat & looks a bit shiny here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, bar side said:

Three U's followers on one thread.  You would not put a tenner on that happeneing.

I seem to remember all the TR-1 jets got re-designated as U-2's at a point, so there can not have been much difference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Three U's followers on one thread.  You would not put a tenner on that happeneing.

I seem to remember all the TR-1 jets got re-designated as U-2's at a point, so there can not have been much difference.

Yep a rare thing indeed.  Definitely wouldn’t put a tenner on it!

I think the main difference with the TR-1 / U-2R were minimal & almost interchangeable designations.  Found this statement on line that sums it up:

The one major difference between the U-2R and TR-1 was in the fuses used for the electrical system, but when all U-2R and TR-1's got new wiring they all got to be called U-2R. With the J75 engine now replaced by something more boring, they are now all U-2S.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Not allocated here? What about the aircraft of the 95th RS, 17th RW, based at RAF Alconbury from 1983 to 1993 - it had 18 TR-1As on strength by 1986...

....third paragraph here: https://www.501csw.usafe.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/436482/royal-air-force-alconbury-royal-air-force-molesworth-and-royal-air-force-upwood/

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bar side said:

I was always under the impression that the aircraft were allocated to Beale and deployed to Alconbury.  Could well be wrong in that assumption

The TR-1s were officially transferred from the 4029th SRTS at Beale to the 17th RW on its formation in October 1982, with the first arriving at Alconbury in February the following year...

• Like 1

Tom,

Great work on your memories builds. Always an inspiration to see someone take on what they remember from childhood. I've amass a great many kits and some day will jump back into my childhood and do just that. What's planned for me is my USAF career starting with my fist duty station and then work through to my last.

I salute you and thank you for your 25 years of service. I did 22 with the USAF as a aircraft armament systems technician AKA bombloader. We have been called other thing but not appropriate for some.

January 1977 I became part of the 48th TFW to lay in wait for the F-111F aircraft to arrive starting in June I believe. That operation was call Operation Ready Switch. The below photo is from a Monogram kit (at that time) and decals from Xtradecals. I purchased all 3 in 72nd, 48th and 1/32nd scale.

WIP F-4D

I don't remember if I built it while I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath or shortly after I got to Cannon AFB in 1980. I sent 4 boxes of built kits with my household goods and arrived with minimum damage. The aft stabs are somewhere with all the moves I had. The next image is of my rendition of Academy's 1/48th scale F-111F with the Verlinden F model update kit. I cut out the slats and flaps and scratch built the intermediate flap vanes because there were no update kits at that time. This was around 1993 and a year or so latter xtra parts come out with the slats and flap set. I know to date have 4 sets of 6 left.

F-111F-Aardvark-9

One other kit that I built from being with the 48th TFW is this kit.

_IMG_0146

This started out as a Monogram 1/48th scale A-1J with a scratchbuilt spine, cut down vacuformed canopy, outer wing slats and horizontal stab winglets. I cut out the flaps with scratchbuilt flap hinges and the lower radome was cutout sanded and shaped balsa wood. This was inspired by a TDY trip to RNAS Yeovilton to dearm one of our aircraft that landed IFE. While there I purchased this book:

AEW-1 Skyraider_0001

So yes, memories are a great inspiration for plastic modelling. I'm enjoying yours and everyone else's posts and sorry I did not see this when I joined a few years back. Will look forward to your continued post on your memory build.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

You do some truly beautiful modeling work. The cockpits for the F-100D and F-4G really caught my eye. I was stationed at Spangdahlem AB when it had only F-4Es and F-4Gs, was there when the F-16s came in and the F-4Es left and only briefly saw the A-10s and the former Bitburg F-15C/D Eagles. Your F-4G model in particular brought back some pleasant memories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2020 at 2:22 AM, f111guru said:

Tom,

Great work on your memories builds. Always an inspiration to see someone take on what they remember from childhood. I've amass a great many kits and some day will jump back into my childhood and do just that. What's planned for me is my USAF career starting with my fist duty station and then work through to my last.

I salute you and thank you for your 25 years of service. I did 22 with the USAF as a aircraft armament systems technician AKA bombloader. We have been called other thing but not appropriate for some.

January 1977 I became part of the 48th TFW to lay in wait for the F-111F aircraft to arrive starting in June I believe. That operation was call Operation Ready Switch. The below photo is from a Monogram kit (at that time) and decals from Xtradecals. I purchased all 3 in 72nd, 48th and 1/32nd scale.

WIP F-4D

I don't remember if I built it while I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath or shortly after I got to Cannon AFB in 1980. I sent 4 boxes of built kits with my household goods and arrived with minimum damage. The aft stabs are somewhere with all the moves I had. The next image is of my rendition of Academy's 1/48th scale F-111F with the Verlinden F model update kit. I cut out the slats and flaps and scratch built the intermediate flap vanes because there were no update kits at that time. This was around 1993 and a year or so latter xtra parts come out with the slats and flap set. I know to date have 4 sets of 6 left.

F-111F-Aardvark-9

One other kit that I built from being with the 48th TFW is this kit.

_IMG_0146

This started out as a Monogram 1/48th scale A-1J with a scratchbuilt spine, cut down vacuformed canopy, outer wing slats and horizontal stab winglets. I cut out the flaps with scratchbuilt flap hinges and the lower radome was cutout sanded and shaped balsa wood. This was inspired by a TDY trip to RNAS Yeovilton to dearm one of our aircraft that landed IFE. While there I purchased this book:

AEW-1 Skyraider_0001

So yes, memories are a great inspiration for plastic modelling. I'm enjoying yours and everyone else's posts and sorry I did not see this when I joined a few years back. Will look forward to your continued post on your memory build.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Great stuff Ron, small world hey.

Nice builds.....

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2020 at 2:39 AM, SAT69 said:

You do some truly beautiful modeling work. The cockpits for the F-100D and F-4G really caught my eye. I was stationed at Spangdahlem AB when it had only F-4Es and F-4Gs, was there when the F-16s came in and the F-4Es left and only briefly saw the A-10s and the former Bitburg F-15C/D Eagles. Your F-4G model in particular brought back some pleasant memories.

Thanks - that's very kind.

Went for the Mr Paint Matt ....initially...

7b8VXCd.jpg

XQLaVTT.jpg

RDxcnBU.jpg

Just didn't seem matt enough, so out came the Testors Dulcote!

Finally assembly nearly there...

vQKVNB5.jpg

31qEqpK.jpg

FGTG4HX.jpg

kP7TSGR.jpg

QEItkV2.jpg

In effect I just need to get those GBU10's on and thats it!

• Like 2