RAF Lakenheath/USAFE/RAF and other regular visitors Project - Childhood memories!

Same with the E model.

I need to do a regain with some finished pics from previous subjects after the Photobucket fiasco.

431lyro.jpg

UjHRfXS.jpg

WYzkLpJ.jpg

witYb9y.jpg

oT4QZ8K.jpg

6HRn4Of.jpg

tjkiJQS.jpg

xauZfvL.jpg

7A5Yund.jpg

75Mt3yJ.jpg

8M3P38w.jpg

X1gdGAo.jpg

M5HCTAQ.jpg?1

C5UoNnz.jpg

Zs2wnZg.jpg

ZaloFrN.jpg

HeOaQkI.jpg

Decals next!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

OK Well I cheated a bit and built an F16C from a modern era than my childhood!

Its a Spangdahlem F16C

CDFC7F3A-FED7-4181-8E82-2F62F1EF8D75_zps

C4B95822-8448-4D56-828F-744346F2E592_zps

4B29E110-7859-4F7B-AE0F-B54C3A173269_zps

98F87065-40A6-4DC3-93C4-E96D193F724E_zps

5670F5B8-B240-478D-99AA-5B813D879111_zps

98F87065-40A6-4DC3-93C4-E96D193F724E_zps

CF8C2035-F0CD-4037-BA42-0889FADCE8AA_zps\

Thread

F111 STBG started - be rude not too!

• Like 2

OK so to get this back on track, I have a pic from each relevant build downloaded from the PhotoBucket Debacle....

Jift1Wd.jpg

Monogram F100D From 48 TFW Lakenheath late 60s/early 70s

0MZB46B.jpg

Revell F4D from 48TFW RAF Lakenheath 1970s

ALfAABl.jpg

AFV Club F5E from the 527 Aggressor Squadron, RAF Alconbury, 1980s

4o2F3S0.jpg

Hasegawa f4G, 52 TFW, Spangdahlem 1990s

aY88eDa.jpg

Tamiya A10A, 81TFW, RAF Bentwaters 1980s

ihd2MuX.jpg

Academy SR71A - 4 Det - 9SRW, RAF Mildenhall, 1980s

t7G07yy.jpg

Tamiya F16CJ - 52FW, RAF Spangdahlem, 2000s

Z3IYrt0.jpg

Academy F15C 493FS, 48 FW, RAF Lakenheath, 2015

xZvkjot.jpg

Revell F15E, 494FS, 48TFW, RAF Lakenheath 2006

• Like 3

Wow Tim, that's quite a collection you've got going on. Nice to see them, and sorry you lost so much with pee- bucket.

The reason I'm chipping in is.... I've been using an old Lockheed T33 trainer that is sitting at Tangmere museum for reference for a build.

She's in a condition of being worked on occasionally.

But there's an emblem on the tail, and it seems it could relate to a USAF wing or group out of lakenheath.

Let me show you...

IMG_20171014_143215

I'd be interested to know if that's the case or if you know who that emblem or badge belongs to.

I think she has done gate-guard Duty somewhere.

The airframe is probably a CF133 with a RR Nene turbine, originally for French AF-, but taken back by USAF in some form, at some point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Wow Tim, that's quite a collection you've got going on. Nice to see them, and sorry you lost so much with pee- bucket.

The reason I'm chipping in is.... I've been using an old Lockheed T33 trainer that is sitting at Tangmere museum for reference for a build.

She's in a condition of being worked on occasionally.

But there's an emblem on the tail, and it seems it could relate to a USAF wing or group out of lakenheath.

Let me show you...

IMG_20171014_143215

I'd be interested to know if that's the case or if you know who that emblem or badge belongs to.

I think she has done gate-guard Duty somewhere.

The airframe is probably a CF133 with a RR Nene turbine, originally for French AF-, but taken back by USAF in some form, at some point.

Will look into it, if I remember this airframe was one used for battle damage repair training at RAF Lakenheath......certainly a 48 TFW 'liberty' badge.....

• Thanks 1

Your thread popped up on my feed the other day and I couldn’t help thinking of my recent eBay purchase

IOpIoPT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Decisions now - LN or WR tail F-4D?

nice work on the reaper there.  Nice colour variations

• Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 5:23 PM, bar side said:

Your thread popped up on my feed the other day and I couldn’t help thinking of my recent eBay purchase

IOpIoPT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Decisions now - LN or WR tail F-4D?

nice work on the reaper there.  Nice colour variations

Looks a good project - should really do mine, trying to find an F-4D at a reasonable price! Would like to do a AR RF4C, just is not the kit to do it without a lot of kit bashing....

On 28/10/2017 at 7:31 PM, rob Lyttle said:

The airframe is probably a CF133 with a RR Nene turbine,

No,she's a T-33A and as you said went to France. Came back as she was a MDAP purchase.

I like your theme Tim. F-100 my favourite of your builds.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scimitar said:

No,she's a T-33A

IMG_20171014_143323

Thanks for the info, Scimitar 

It was the feature on the port side above that got us talking about CF33s and RR Nene turbines etc.

The vent seems to feature on RR airframes, which we took to mean the Canadian planes.

Dyou mean that Lockheed production included T33s with this vent?

• Like 1

Interesting point.

I was using this source for the info:  http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/19252.html

The c/n doesn't indicate a Canadian built one and a check of this site shows she was delivered straight to France:                                         http://cgibin.rcn.com/jeremy.k/cgi-bin/gzUsafSearch.pl?target=51-9252&content= 

I wonder if she was fitted with a T-33AN rear fuselage after preservation ?

Could the Nene be fitted to a Lockheed built airframe and if so did France do that?

That's the fun of modelling isn't it. Always learning and always being diverted by research!

• Like 2

Just found this wonderful thread. I’ve got plans for a couple of MC130’s from Alconbury and a Pave Low. They’ll be 1:72 though, I haven’t even considered them in 1:48!

• Thanks 1

On 28/10/2017 at 22:50, Tim Moff said:

Will look into it, if I remember this airframe was one used for battle damage repair training at RAF Lakenheath......certainly a 48 TFW 'liberty' badge.....

" Battle Damage Repair Training" doesn't sound like an easy retirement..... it sounds quite hazardous for an airframe!!

So,who knows what has been done over the years.

That's why I flagged it up here on Tim's thread, fishing for info.

She still carries this....

IMG_20171014_143729

Maybe one will have to be added to this Lakenheath collection.

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Looks a good project - should really do mine, trying to find an F-4D at a reasonable price! Would like to do a AR RF4C, just is not the kit to do it without a lot of kit bashing....

Well this ERTL F-4D was less than £20 delivered on eBay.  The decals have both F-4D and RF-4C in the pack for change from a £10 delivered.  Do fancy a late euro one camo recon F-4 at some point

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Ok so I can cracking on with the F-111's after 2 1/2 year hiatus in modelling!

Some other builds to be done, but wanted to get these finished

qHARgTY.jpg

gYnDB8o.jpg

• Like 5

Those Aardvarks look amazing and the camo on the F is perfect. Mind, you smashed the paint jobs on the A-10 and F-4G as well. This is without doubt the finest era in military aviation (in my opinion).

• Thanks 1

On 28/10/2017 at 22:50, Tim Moff said:

Just an update and an FYI.

This airframe is now part of BCWM and is in our HAS being restored. Not been a BDR airframe, and has a Hispano engine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bar side said:

How is the Academy Spark Vark kit?  I did the Zhengdefu version last year.  It’s cheap...

dcjYV5f.jpg

Academy was ok - pretty similar to the Italeri kit, in fact I think it’s the same with some extra sprues. Nice build!

• Thanks 1

I always thought the Zhengdefu kit was a copy of the Academy, to the point of being identical. Chinese reverse engineering at work. Despite the greater detail of the HobbyBoss Varks, I’ve always felt that the Academy (Italeri) kits are the favourites as their shape is considered more accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scalemates has Zehengdefu down as the same as Hobbycraft.  But I have seen a few 1/48 F-111 builds & the main parts seem very similar.  The warp of parts & fit on a Zhengdefu are not great, but a cheaper option.  Had to use aftermarket UH decals, but they came with the LN F-111 tailcode decals and the WR A-10, all in one Xtradecal set

hjDwaUV.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

This airframe is now part of BCWM

I was told that it was off to Lakenheath. 

Been gone from Tangmere a couple of years now. 

I'd love to see what's being done with the old girl. Hope it goes well. 

I'd better ask.... What's a BCWM!? 🤔

It's OK, I solved the riddle! 

But what's a BDR airframe?? 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

But what's a BDR airframe?? 

I know I know (raises hand excitedly) - it’s Battle Damage Repair. I think most, probably all USAFE bases had a BDR Flight that featured a Phantom or some other retired airframe.

My question is, did the RAF have something similar? I only ever recall old airframes being on fire dumps at RAF stations.

• Thanks 1