Boeing 777-200 - "holding over Bermuda"

Hi and thanks for looking in.

Here we have my completed Minicraft 1/144 Boeing 777-200 wearing British Airways colours while "holding over Bermuda".

I have used the Contrails nose correction and Braz Rolls Royce engine nacelle intake correction resin pieces, along with a mix of 26 Decals, Nazca detail sets and F-DCAL decals. I made the fatal error of adding the over-wing emergency exit guidance decals but have added some over-wing emergency exit hatch decals to try and redeem the mistake. The diorama base has some 3D contouring which can be seen in the build process by clicking into the pictures which will take you to my photobucket WIP folder. The base contouring required 3 copies of the picture that were stretched over and across the island surface. I assume that BA now fly's their 777's into Bermuda, I know they used to use their 747-200's back in the day. Anyway "Happy flightings - if you'll pardon the pun!" - John

4c082437-620e-4c9b-b7b7-58cefd943679_zps

09329a87-576f-46f7-a02c-a05d756c5fc3_zps

e3118aa9-747b-4305-845a-44cf7917b7f7_zps

8bdf7efd-cc28-4a19-af64-c7bf26d5f690_zps

f4eac9e4-9daf-4202-b3e8-98b2bd6f2518_zps

9d862c0e-0d4c-408e-bc45-68cfea42f404_zps

46b8c7d1-2565-41a3-a9a4-bcc8da846a52_zps

f83fe1a9-2b16-42f8-b1c7-4ae737d71def_zps

97014287-6ae0-433e-8564-c5dee9f9ed32_zps

35053118-5f8e-44af-8d52-663297f96c3a_zps

74af4543-60de-40cd-b681-2c9633f45a0e_zps

DSCF5122_zpsf6114491.jpg

DSCF5119_zps425bbf2f.jpg

Thanks for looking in - John

• Like 33

That's come out really well - the Contrails' nose certainly improves the overall look of the model.

I must say I love the way you present these builds - I've never been a great fan of 'gear up' finishes but you've got me thinking now...

Tom

Ooh! Liking that lots - great to see an airliner with a bit of texture. Not just the preserve of matt finished military types.

Love the presentation also.

Nice one!

ATB
Rick

• Like 1

I'm not a great fan of airliner models normally (sorry Airliner fans) as they can tend to look too toy like IMO however you have really captured the look of a real aircraft there with your very subtle weathering and attention to detail. I like that a lot and the base is very nice too.

Duncan B

That's come out really well - the Contrails' nose certainly improves the overall look of the model.

I must say I love the way you present these builds - I've never been a great fan of 'gear up' finishes but you've got me thinking now...

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for the words here - back in the 70's when I got started on the old Airfix Sky King series, I would always use the landing gear but these always got broken fairly quickly as my models soon became part of my toy airport. Nowadays, I have preferred to produce a plane with a story behind it or at least a theme, and as I have limited display space at home, most of my completed kits end up in my office or board room so I tend to build a display diorama rather than something that sits on a surface.

I have a lot of interesting and different themed A3 photocopies ready for future diorama bases to accompany a large selection of other civil airframe models I have in my stash. I started last night on a 757 that should end up on approach finals over the Thames in London by the Eye and Houses of Parliament - much to the annoyance of the wife who cannot get her head around why I never take a break in the hobby!

Regards - John

I'm not a great fan of airliner models normally (sorry Airliner fans) as they can tend to look too toy like IMO however you have really captured the look of a real aircraft there with your very subtle weathering and attention to detail. I like that a lot and the base is very nice too.

Duncan B

cheers Duncan - glad to have made an impression here

• Like 1

What paints did you use to paint the wings and what did you use to get the semi gloss finish?

Duncan B

Hi Duncan

Vallejo Model air white for the fuselage

Tamiya Acrylics for the wings

Vallejo Model air Blue for the pair of 'Rollers'

Humbrol Gloss Varnish - stage 1

Klear - stage 2 to tone it down a tad

I hope this has helped you here - have a crack at it and see what you get!

Bye for now - John Leah

That is wonderful. I really love the job you done on that and the dio base is a great idea.

I love airliners but never made a kit of one since childhood but after seeing yours and a few others I really want to do some now.

Very nice mate. Rob :)

That's great work. I'm a flight attendant for BA and I've flown on 777's for over ten years including quite a few trips to Bermuda. I have to say you've nailed it here even down to the weathering as our airliners show it when you're close up to them.

Stephen :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Beautiousness itself.

As everyone is mentioning, it is the weathering that you nailed head on here that makes this one stand out. Makes the machine seem alive. Beyond very well done.

Have a 727 waiting for my second attempt with Flory Wash as we speak, and I was just about to pass, but with this inspiration, I know I have to give it a bash.

Nice one!

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...