Italeri vs. Revell Tornado (1:48)

Filler

Seeing as quite a few on here have now built or are building the new Revell Tornado, I thought it might now be a good time to ask for some opinions on the two kits when compared to each other. (It's taken me ages trying to decide whether this is best placed in Cold War or Modern)

I'm pretty sure that the Revell kit would win a 'which kit is best' poll hands down but, I'm just after a bit more detailed comparison of the two. I've seen comments suggesting some over engineering and I've seen a few struggles with joints, particularly around the intakes on Revell's. And I seem to recall the wing gloves are a nightmare on Italeri's. But what else is good or bad about the two kits?

Revell is better detailed but it could be classed as over engineered in parts .......the intakes are the trickiest part of the build.

Apart from that ...best detailed Tornado kit on the market in any scale. (Dont self -harm yourself by getting Hobbyboss Tonkas !)

Italeri ....dont go throwing them away ....they build up quite nicely , except for the wing nib inserts , a good kit IMHO but certainly second class compared to the Revell kit.

Andy

Revell is better detailed but it could be classed as over engineered in parts .......the intakes are the trickiest part of the build.

Apart from that ...best detailed Tornado kit on the market in any scale. (Dont self -harm yourself by getting Hobbyboss Tonkas !)

Italeri ....dont go throwing them away ....they build up quite nicely , except for the wing nib inserts , a good kit IMHO but certainly second class compared to the Revell kit.

Andy

I agree with Andy,it's way over engineered,for example the intake trunking,waste of time painting it up as you cant see anything down it once it's assembled...My first Revell kit went in the bin,major fit problems which couldn't be corrected..mainly around the intake area on one side....The are a few innacuracies with it,for one the rear of the Boz pod is modelled after an unloaded one but the rear is wrong,it's also too 'rounded' down the length & the Skyshadow looks too small.

The wing flaps & slats are delicate & the's been reports (as on mine) of the spring hinges being broken off in transit.

In all it's better than Italeri in some areas & a thousand miles better than that abortion of a kit that Hobbyboss 'attempted'

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts guys. It sounds to me as if I will do well the keep my Italeri kits and get them built. The main advantage of the Revell kit seems to be the flap and slat dropping option but, as much as that looks good, it's not exactly essential when modelling a parked up Tornado is it?

It's funny that when I posted this yesterday I consciously omitted the Airfix kits from the discussion but I totally forgot about the Hobbyboss kits.

One other thing on the subject; there was a few aftermarket options available for the Italeri kits (mainly the Paragon parts) yet there seems to be little or nothing for the Revell effort. Is this because it's too soon or is it that it is simply too good to need resin cockpits, exhausts and so on?

One other thing on the subject; there was a few aftermarket options available for the Italeri kits (mainly the Paragon parts) yet there seems to be little or nothing for the Revell effort. Is this because it's too soon or is it that it is simply too good to need resin cockpits, exhausts and so on?

Eduard has a truckload of photoetch arriving for Revell Tornado.

It's just a question of time before you see quite a lot of resin stuff, IMHO.

Resin I'd like to see: 1000# GP bombs, JP.233, TIALD Pod, CBU-123 LGB, RAF main racks w/ MACE. I just got my Eduard resin wheels and they are a million times better than the kit parts. Will be getting their interior PE also. Cheers

• Like 1

Eduard has a truckload of photoetch arriving for Revell Tornado.

It's just a question of time before you see quite a lot of resin stuff, IMHO.

Don't really rate Eduard too well myself,the stuff I've used has been a waste of time (cockpit detail sets) but D J Parkins has detail sets like the one for the Italeri Tonka in th works..

Yep I totally agree, I rate them highly and when available use the Eduard cockpit sets on just about every build, they are easy to use, look great and add detail that is hard if not impossible to replicate with a paint brush, just need to add a bit of 3D with switches, etc and your'e done.

Each to his/her own though.....

• Like 1

Yep I totally agree, I rate them highly and when available use the Eduard cockpit sets on just about every build, they are easy to use, look great and add detail that is hard if not impossible to replicate with a paint brush, just need to add a bit of 3D with switches, etc and your'e done.

Each to his/her own though.....

Everytime I've used the stick on fabric ones,I've found they've came unstuck!..Only one I got to work was the etched metal set for my 1/32 Tonka.