Tamiya 1/48 P-51D 8th AF Aces

DannyB

With little over a month left I thought I would chuck another one in to the mix, lets see if it'll make it to the gallery! :lol:

Managed to get my hands another tamiya P-51D, this time around the 8th AF Aces boxing. THe box was a little battered but everything inside still sealed in it's plastic bags!

IMAG0725_zps8acdd34c.jpg

Obligatory sprue and instruction shots. :)

IMAG0727_zps9eb84a04.jpg

IMAG0726_zps0d0e3ed9.jpg

Interestingly this boxing includes both the paper-tanks sprue from the 9th AF boxing and the uncuffed prop and rocket sprue yet there's no call for it that I've found in the instructions. :shrug:

Having shown the other-half my latest acquisition she took an interest in the markings included and has asked me to do Capt. Clarence Anderson's 'Old Crow' from late 1944 in olive drab, because, and I quote, 'everything else is looking a bit grey' :huh: haha! Unfortunately the markings only include the 'Old Crow' for one side of the nose and to be historically correct it should be on both sides but I can live with that.

This one is going to be completely OOB so no extras to see here. :D

• Like 2

Got a good amount done on this over the weekend and even got the fuselage buttoned up tonight.

Nothing too special in the cockpit, just as tamiya prescribe it, even down to the transfer belts.

IMAG0737_zpsae9ce1a1.jpg

IMAG0738_zps3bc15c14.jpg

This time around I stuck to vallejo pale green as I feel it's a bit of a closer match to most of the reference pictures I've seen and without the PE to match to it made it an easy choice.

Pretty happy with how this turned out, nothing special but will certainly look the part under the canopy.

Really looking forward to moving this one along, you've got to love this kit. :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This one has been slowly ticking along in the background for a little while now and I realised I hadn't taken any pictures or updated the build thread! :blush::rolleyes:

During my last P-51D build I really didn't get on with the wing bars or D-Day stripes so this time around they are being painted on. So it was crack out the white paint and tamiya tape!

IMAG0781_zps3ff158fa.jpg

Since I took the picture I've layed down the black (tamiya rubber black) and I'm just waiting for the cockpit masks to turn up so I can really start getting a move on! I'm going to push this one to the finish line next weekend so you never know it could well be done in time! :lol:

Edited by DannyB
  • Like 2

Well bit more done last, mainly concentrating on the sub-assemblies that I can get done while I wait for the canopy masks to turn up, hopefully they will be with me today if big H's 24hr delivery is to be believed!

Things kicked off with some very shiny drop-tanks.

IMAG0782_zps2ad0c7c0.jpg

I used airframe aluminium over humbrol black gloss enamel, a definite winner!

Then on to the exhausts, nothing too special here, just enough dry-brushing and washes to make them interesting.

IMAG0783_zpsd127a271.jpg

Hopefully the momentum with continue! :)

• Like 1

Cheers Lez, unfortunately I've been let down but a major supplier with an order that was going to see this progress so I'm now not sure if I'm going to make the deadline. Even after paying through the nose for 24hr delivery and making sure my order was in before their deadline they still didn't get is dispatched when they said they would and don't even get me started on their lack of customer service! :fuyou_2::rant::raincloud::raincloud:

Not being able to get on with the large majority of the painting last night was a real pain and a proper spanner in the works, but I did turn my attentions to the flaps and gear-bay doors. This meant I had to finally settle on the colour scheme!

With information from a couple of decent sources I went for medium green on top and neutral grey underneath.

IMAG0784_zps1f1a3fcc.jpg

Quite happy with how these bits came out so hopefully I can carry it through to main airframe! :pray:

• Like 1

Cheers Wolwe. :)

This is hopefully picking up steam now, and if my plan works I might well be able to get this one in but it's gonna be down to the wire! :frantic:

First part of the master plan was to get the underside done last night, so it was straight in with a base coat of a neutral grey and then on to the pre-shading.

IMAG0788_zpsd426274b.jpg

Nothing to OTT just a bit of work to give some tonal variation to the top coat.

IMAG0789_zpsa28351d4.jpg

Which I'm pretty pleased with. :)

The plan tonight is to, at the very least, get the sides masked off and the base coat of green down but if I get lucky I can get the pre-shading and top-coat down too which will then just leave some of sub-assemblies to paint and the decals to get on with, oh yeah and get it several gloss coats and a final satin coat before Sunday night. :frantic:

Things are still on track, just! :lol:

Hit the top coat last night, base coat, shading and then top coat. :)

IMAG0791_zps7da61655.jpg

IMAG0792_zps2691bf51.jpg

And with that all finished it was time to get on with removing the masking and see how everything came out! I always find this one of the scariest and most exciting bits all rolled up in one! :lol:

How she looked last night on her wheels for the first time.

IMAG0796_zps0f90c748.jpg

Today's work has been mainly laying down gloss coats and finishing off the subs. :)

Tomorrow will be shifting on to the decaling and you never know it might be done in time!

• Like 1

Cheer guys.

Hit the decaling last night and have just put this one to bed, though annoyingly while taking the pictures I remembered the gun-sight! :banghead:

IMAG0799_zps176c1e6f.jpg

IMAG0800_zps6e9f4d8f.jpg

IMAG0801_zps702e7d24.jpg

IMAG0803_zpsc4fcc666.jpg

IMAG0806_zps27f617da.jpg

I'd normally like to have finished with a flory wash and a matt coat but I wanted to keep this one fairly clean, that and I would of been really been pushing it time wise! :lol:

And, the 2 together from this group build.

IMAG0808_zpsb048d453.jpg

IMAG0809_zps0ac30209.jpg