The Amerika Fighter

kwaterous

BIG update time :P

I decided to start yet another part of the plane, and did the exhausts. these were cut apart, drilled out, had the weld line added frome plastic cement, were glued back together, then painted and weathered.

P8190064_zpse767b153.jpg

P8220070_zps66935243.jpg

P8220072_zps8368dcf7.jpg

P8230084_zps8f087b2f.jpg

Next up, painting the cockpit...

P8220067_zpsff86035b.jpg

The tub (it looks better when it's not in a closeup photo)

P8220068_zpsdd446372.jpg

Right hand side. Again, closeup isnt doing it any favours

P8230076_zps7453dd9e.jpg

With the IP and left hand side. Dials on the IP are cut from the kit decal.

In other news... the radar mount has had to be moved iboard to avoid fowling the slats

P8190065_zps7399fb77.jpg

The circle and other bits of putty are a past battle damage test after being repaired.

Finally, I have decided to remove the control surfaces in order to make the plane a bit more dynamic.

P8190062_zps20a764fc.jpg

Comments etc. are appreciated

K

• Like 1

Few bits done:

Prop finished (one of em')

P8230074_zps88c1f117.jpg

Wash (it looks like a lot... it isn't really)

P8230077_zps4b52cc43.jpg

Weathering done

P8230078_zpsa6e9891f.jpg

finished off with tinted future

And I did seatbelts (masking tape and wire)

P8230081_zpsb9751fb5.jpg

P8230083_zpsa1bdf593.jpg

they're a little crude but, they'll be pretty much invisible

Comments etc. welcome

K

• Like 3

Thinking about the scheme... Would a squiggle (like the nightfighters) have been. Plausible choice for the camo?

I could to do a dark gray pattern, with black squiggles.

Alternatively. I could do a normal camo pattern, just somewhat darker than normal

Opinions?

K

Well, Fuselage #1 has been stuck together... now, to start all over again...

I REALLY don't want gaps (guess what; I got some anyway)

P8230085_zpscc80474f.jpg

Next Up... The Other cockpit...

Removed the detail that was there

P8250086_zps71bfd785.jpg

I got a little overzealous when removing the sidewall detail and had to fill some gashes

P8260090_zpsaea76206.jpg

I also got the second wheel bay started;

P8260087_zps004e41b2.jpg

You can also see one of the gear legs that I scratch built

Last progress for this update, the front of the radar dome has been reshaped so that is does not look o much like the one on the corsair (total coincidence :P) and glued on.

P8280095_zpsdc26a508.jpg

Fit is an issue...

Comments and criticism etc. are welcome

:pilot:

K

• Like 2

Got a little bit of work done lat night:

The pieces of the secon wheel well were glued together.

P8260088_zps999bd476.jpg

and from the other side;

P8260089_zpsd3a09bdd.jpg

Filling and sading next... eyuch :(

Also started on the horizontal stabilisor. Here I decided that the elevators woud be separate, in order to help out the ailerons and improve roll rate.

P8270093_zpsf8cac70f.jpg

more filling and sanding... so pleased...

Comments, questions and whatever else you want to add are welcome

K

Quick update: I've done the basic work on the second cockpit.

P8260091_zps4b517968.jpg

I've used an old ski pass, brass wire, bits of paperclip an sprue, foil from contact lense packages, a random bit of clear platic I had lying around, and some pencil lead

Commets are, as always, appreciated

K

Another Update:

The second wheel bay is finished.

P8280096_zpscce3b354.jpg

puttied (elmers wood putty)

P8290097_zps2e008ea5.jpg

sanded

Just a little ore sanding on the inside of the bay, then I'll drill the mounting for the gear leg.

Basic painting on Cockpit #2 has also been completed.

P8270092_zpsd53aab39.jpg

(I have also mounted the elevators at a deflected angle using brass wire)

P8280094_zpsfd4f53ed.jpg

Instrument panel. For some reason, the decal didn't come anywhere close to matching up with moulded circles on the panel, so it was cut into three pieces in order to make it fir better, but, as you can see, it still doesn't fit particularly well. :S

The last thing I did was to fill the gap around the radome and sand it down

P8290099_zpsd8bf7a43.jpg

I also drilled a small hole in the front of the radome (don"t ask me why, I don't know that awnser :P)

As always, comments etc. are appreciated

K

• Like 1

Me too mike, me too...

I've built the Pilot's cockpit tub:

P8290098_zpsa96f8e28.jpg

I'm not particularly happy with the wheels on the side of the cockpit, but, like everythong else, they'll be practically invisible

I still have a little bit of sanding to do on the seat backrest top and sides in this photo, but that has now been done

Any commentnt are welcome

K

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, there has been some progress on this one over the last few months, but it has been very slow. I've been taking pictures all along, I've only made enough progress for one update.

I got the undercarriage wells finished, and planned out how the bay doors will fit.

I also finished, painted and weathered the second (pilot's) cockpit

lastly, I made the seat belts for the pilot out of masking tape and wire.

Photos:

P8290100_zps96bc17a5.jpg

gear leg dry-fitted into bay

P8300053_zps0a1eb8c0.jpg

wheel bay doors, made out of both doors in the original kit

P8290101_zps90de11c0.jpg

cockpit painting completed

P8300054_zpsbb547724.jpg

wash applied

P8300055_zps8a9398ca.jpg

P8300057_zps9c8310a2.jpg

lap belts, they look better without the macro mode.

P8300058_zps4bbec303.jpg
full belts.

I'm getting close to closing up the fuselage, just a clear coat on the cockpit, attach it all together, stick in the seatbelts, then closer-r-up!

then its just a matter of getting the two fuselages lined up, glued, puttied, sanded and the it's time for paint, then decals, then weathering, then its done. Not so far away when you think about it :P

K

• Like 1

Love what you are doing here. :thumbsup:

Really impressed with your seatbelts, those buckles must be maddening to make! :shutup:

Have you considered using lead foil instead of masking tape? I find tape to be a swine to work with (and I don't add buckles). :shrug:

Thanks sgt.

I have considered using foil, but the I'd have to paint it and use glue in it... :P

The buckles were fairly easy, I trapped a piece of wire between two strips of tape, then folded each end over in the opposite direction. And bent using a set of pliers. It only took a couple minutes apiece.

K

• Like 1

I find that if I stick the tape to my cutting board first, then peel up what I need, it loses some of the stickiness. It also depends on the kind if tape, the stuff I use for this is quite low tack to begin with. It's testors masking tape of some kind, comes with 3 different thicknesses in 1 pack, this is the really thin stuff.

K

Hi K,

Just caught up with your interesting WIF!

If I may make a suggestion, to increase the range why not have a towed fuel supply? IIRC the Germans had a working mock-up of a winged fuel tank that was connected to an Arado 234 at the base of the tail???

For the colour scheme how about RLM 72/73 splinter with stripes of 76??? I have done a Ta 183, carrying one of those strange bomb-torpedo thingies, in this scheme and it looks, in my not-so-humble opinion, rather swish! I based the concept on the schemes worn by KG 40 whilst operating in the Bay of Biscay and Atlantic approaches.

Keep it up!

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

I'm sure that you are right that a 109 Zwilling would be based upon the later airframe, but suspect a night fighter role rather than quite such a range stretch. I also feel that a longer fuselage would be necessary. Think F-82. This would of course provide space for extra fuel but I suspect is a little late, for this one at least. The Revell kit does however need replacement props as the diameter is too small.

Thanks Christian and Graham,

Christian, that quite an interesting concept, do you know how and where they planned to have it atatched? Or did it never get that far?

Graham, thanks for dropping by, I think it may be too late for both of those fixes, one of the fuselages is already together, I don't particularly fancy cutting it apart now. As for the propellors, I could cut them off and add a shim of round stock, but then they just look odd... Any advice on that?

K