The Amerika Fighter

kwaterous

Well, here is my plan, take two old Revell 109 G-10 kits, stick 'em together with a new horizontal tail and center wing section. next, screw with the landing gear to make it into a two-leg system instead of a 4-leg system. Add a radar pod (I've been informed that one from a corsair should do it, with a few modifications). Convert 1 of the cockpits to a RIO position, detail the pilot's cockpit to within an inch of it's life, strap on a couple of drop tanks that for some strange reason look like the ones on a P-61(total coincidence) add some guns to the center wing section, paint it to look somewhat german, then make up some markings using 2.5 of the kit decal sheets.

Not so hard, should look something like this:

Bf109Z-10_zpsfb88b717.jpg

Advice would be appreciated...

K

• Like 2

Nice idea. My only concern would be range. The standard 109G had a range, with droptank, of 1000km. Even with extra tanking etc, I doubt that would be more than doubled (being optimistic). Certainly not enough to get it to America and back.

how about you take two JU-88? The 109 was never intended for long range journeys. The longest range with a 300 ltr tank was about 900km. There was a concept plane with two of these tanks, but i think it wouldn't have had much more than 1200km range.

Edited by Luftwaffe

Its a WHIF, the bad guys had come up with an extra special fuel 'more miles per litre fuel'......obviously.......

A twin 109, would find it hard not to like that.

Right you are sir! Extra long range fuel, big tanks strapped to the wings, it has enough range and then some...

Since it's a whif they could have flown from a suitable aircraft carrier/captured territory/towed half way to the target area by something else/refuelled in mid-air/dropped by alien UFO etc.

• Like 2

Well, I think it's a great idea and look forward to seeing how it looks!

If I can pluck up my courage sufficiently, I plan to do something similar with 2 Revell Bf109G-10s. In my universe, it's going to be either a pulk-Zerstorer or a night fighter.

regards,

Martin

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with making the wing between fuselages all fuel tank, and carry 3 drop tanks under that with 2 under the fuselage, giving 5 drop tanks, MTO would be a problem, but by the time they went past Iceland could drop off all external tanks, of course they are in for a tremendous lot of trouble in the early stages of the flight, if intercepted with all that fuel on board, I would imagine USN would have F6F equipped carriers based in the Northern Atlantic, but what the heck as a concept it is with great merit.

I think an all RLM 76 colour scheme though for that sort of mission, which would make it a bit boring colour wise

It has begun.....

I have decided to start with the RIO's cockpit because I don't need to follow reference photos just make up whatever I want :wicked:

P8170053_zps840bd58d.jpg

Right hand sidewall

P8170059_zpse7df6fd1.jpg

Left hand sidewall

P8170052_zps862a9c13.jpg

IP

P8160051_zpsb50c6e14.jpg

Cockpit floor

Detail has been added using pieces of an old ski pass, bits of sprue and two thicknesses of wire

Opinions and advice would be appreciated

K

Edited by kwaterous
  • Like 3

ok I nearly missed this....

Hopefully I'm not too late with some ideas for you.

For the Amerika fighter you'll need the extra range, best achieved at altitude. So maybe wing extensions or bigger wings as fitted the the Bf109H, plus to balance it out fuselage plugs like those fitted to the Fw-190H's and Ta152's. Plus for fuel tanks you could fit "slipper" tanks like those fitted to late model Fw190's? Or evn "in-flight" refuelling??

Anyway will follow with interest as I may need fighter support for my He-477Z "Amerika" bomber!!

I haven't decided on a colour scheme yet, but I appreciate the suggestions. I may add the wing extensions, they're a good idea, but I think I'll skip the fuselage plugs I think they might be beyond my rather limited skills.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

K

I LOVE this part of Britmodeller - the imagination that you guys demonstrate coupled with your practical application of modelling skills is awe inspiring! Just wish I had the wherewithal to emulate you all - keep them coming :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

DC

I thought I had seen this before, so of course, you could always use this as a beginning

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMU72217

I could, but I plan on having two cockpits, one for the pilot, one for the RIO. Using that would mean carving off the fairing and building a completely new cockpit for the RIO. It's also a rather nice kit and I would hate to destroy it.

Thanks for the comments guys, progress is slow at the moment, but photos will arrive in the next couple of days.

K

The promised photos: I haven't done anything more in the cockpit, but I have started on the wheel well modifications.

P8170054_zps544fffbf.jpg

All cut up, pieces put back in place on a piece of tape

P8170055_zps434b7f20.jpg

Glued up and stuck together using bits of yogourt container.

P8170057_zpsa7e05433.jpg

The other side

P8170058_zps3fac9247.jpg

Putty!

P8180060_zpsd279120c.jpg

More Putty...

Comments and advice are appreciated.

K

• Like 4

Just adding my 2 cents worth with regards to range.

How about disposable jet packs under the wings?

Would use less fuel at altitude while maintaining speed and could then be `dumped` if the enemy is engaged over the target.

Here is a link to a build of the 1/48 Planet Models kit on Hyperscale. http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/features/bf109z48gg_1.htm

That might have some information for you as to construction and what it might look like.

That's the kit I have... the Zwilling. The prototype got blatted in an Allied raid, so they cancelled the project because the war wasn't going so well for them by then. The Planet Models kit has a solid 2nd cockpit, so it'd be a swine to scoop out and detail, so you've probably taken the easier option :S