Avro Anson Mk I, V and XII - Airfix 1/72, scratch conversion

Hi

Avro Anson - for many years the only kit in 1/72 was the very old (1960?) Airfix one. Now there is much better, the Special Hobby one. However, models which I would like to show today were made in 2005. So there was no choice - the base must be Airfix kit.

Please enjoy - the Anson family photos:

anson Dsc01515anson Dsc01516

They are Mk I of Royal Greek Airforces, 1941, Mk V of RCAF during WWII and Mk XII of RAF, early 1945.

Mk I - i did some work with cabin and added some details.

anson Dsc01530anson Dsc01528anson Dsc01529

The Mk V of RCAF has deeply reshaped fuselage (playwood in original machine), different engines etc. It is a sctrach conversion:

anson Dsc01522anson Dsc01521anson Dsc01520anson Dsc01519anson Dsc01517

Mk XII has taller fuselage and also different engines. This is again scratch work:

anson Dsc01526anson Dsc01525anson Dsc01524

anson Dsc01523

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 37

Very good efforts on all three! Being a fan of Canadian subjects your RCAF one interests me more. We can all but wish that Airfix will bring us a new tool Anson in 2015.....hopefully!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Jerzy:

I liked the three jewels you posted here, the greek seems nice to make a different scheme for a OOB, but the wondeful made two other specimens are great subjects to try to replicate. Those magnificent Conversion/Scrachbuilt subjects will be showstoppers in any competition table, exposition or simple a well exhibited collection. Without a doubt I am thinking that you really have got the very best of our lovely and cherished past time. Keep on My friend!!!

Thank you very much for sharing.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hey Jerzy:

I was thinking in what I have seen and, as you could see, I was back again here.......

I agree with Darby, but really I think this is the REAL art of this nice Hobby, an art that its not frequently seen. BTW, do you have some WIP here in BM, or pics of the progress when you did those magnificent works to share here?

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Wow - just like the envoy these are three supurb builds displaying some fine model making skills! And so nice to see some non-combat support aircraft ( ok so one has a turret but you know what I mean) - I think the yellow one is my favorite.

Cheers

Stuart

• Like 1

Hi ,

I appreciete very much your kind words, Luis. Muchias gracias! :) Also I am very thankful to Mitch, Stuart, Darby and Cookenbacher.

you have some WIP here in BM, or pics of the progress

Sometimes I made some photos documenting work. I post some of them here already (BM, ready for inspection forum). As I remeber it was in case of Intaleri Wellingtons (I posted some photos of Mk VI in early stages of build - it was in August), but in post on Percival Petrel and especially on Northrop Delta (there is a mistake in word "Northrop" so if you would like to find it perhaps it is better to write "Delta") more stages are documented. Please have a look at them if you would like to. You can easily find them in history of my topics in my profile. The history is short - I logged in for the first time in begining of this August :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Many thanks Pete (after three years... - better later then never.)

I rescued by swiching to Flickr this thread today. This was one of my first here :) so I was not in habits on Forum:sorry:

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

On 27/08/2014 at 9:24 PM, Paul J said:

Very good efforts on all three! Being a fan of Canadian subjects your RCAF one interests me more. We can all but wish that Airfix will bring us a new tool Anson in 2015.....hopefully!!!!!!!!

Yay, a C.19 preferably.

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Like 1

Hi Jerzy, again excellent builds from the old Airfix kit, well done and many compliments to you for this wonderful trio.  I particularly like the Royal Greek Air Force one, so, much so, that with your permission I would to use the images of it to recreate it on my spare Airfix Anson that is sitting patiently in the stash, best regards Colin.

• Like 1

Meatbox8 and Colin - thank you. It was a real fun to do those conversions!

Colin - go ahead with Greek Anson! I hope you will post her here!

Some other numbers also possible: for example N61.

8d5bf8cd13556bd640b25c40c1fb2756.jpg

Btw - If I would know the photo bellow before I will do MK XII in those colours, camo with yellow belly:

avro-anson-mk-xii-trainer-iwm-atp13353f.

• Like 2

As always you have chosen some lovely subjects and done a superb job of building them,... a lot of skill went into those conversions so well done mate.

As for the B&W Anson Mk.XII pic,...reproduced here;

avro-anson-mk-xii-trainer-iwm-atp13353f.

I`m pretty sure that the colours will be Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey with Azure Blue undersides,..... the standard late war transport scheme!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I`m pretty sure that the colours will be Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey with Azure Blue undersides,..... the standard late war transport scheme!

Tony, thank you for comment.

You are right! - the contrast between upper colours is like in sea scheme indeed. It makes this scheme even more attracting! This machine was presented on web page "RAF trainers", apparently therefore I was self-suggested on yellow belly...)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1