De Havilland Mosquito PR XVI, Tamiya, conv. pavla (reshaped)

Hi,

I had Airfix FB Mk XVIII made about 20 years ago I wanted to add to collection another Mosquito, which will be different as much as possible from the previous one. It was about 5 year ago. My choice was bomber/recce machine with glazed nose. However I wanted to do another difference - longer engines. If one would like to build a model of DH Mosquito with longer Merlin engines - I do not remeber if there any other option then old Matchbox kit. I belive that there is no other option, still. So I bought Tamiya kit and Pavla conversion kit which consist of two engines and set of exhaust pipes all made of resin. When I started to work on this - I was shocked - the Pavla engines were of the same lenght as short engines of Tamiya! I do not know the reason for such huge mistake. Anyway, I decided to use those engines, although I move them forward as I remeber 3 or 4 mm (I had nice drawings so it was under control), I cut off coolers which are below engines, replaced them and also moved position of exhaust pipes. I have used original Tamiya exhaust pipes since the one from Pavla were proportionally to short. All together there was some body putty and sanding needed. I changed the propellers, I belive, also. She is wearing markings of US 8th Army from UK, late 1944-45. Airplane was used for photo recconesance and some weather recce flights.

mosquito DSC01504mosquito DSC01503mosquito DSC01507

mosquito DSC01505Mosquito DSC01508MOSPRXVI 3MMOSPRXVI 2

And a family photo:

MOSSIES-M

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 10

Thank you for feedbak. SdK_UK - your machine is very realistic indeed.

A correction to my original post. The exhaust pipes are also scratch, not the Tamiya ones. And I added third bulb on canopy - as should be for idividual,,,,

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Well, that's Pavla for you – best avoided…

Still, a very creditable Mossie came out of that mess, thanks to your skills and persistence! Well done indeed.

And that red-tailed US livery style is my all-time favourite for Mossies, so how can I not like it, a lot?

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

>Hi Jerzy!!!

I have lost this one browsing here in BM but as usual, your build here is outstanding and wonderful.

I have seen this one in a Squadron Signal book but when I did one by requirement of anotherperson who wanted a USAAF version using the old but nice Airfix kit, I was tempted for another USAAF paint scheme of green and grey the customer asked for and finnaly chose it, but really wanted to try for this variant,maybe one day...

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Very nice Jerzy,

Another one that I want to do some day,.......and you`ve really smashed this USAAF Mossie mate,....what a beauty,.....the Mollin`s Mossie isn`t bad either!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Gents, many thanks for excavating this very early my tread (from end of August 2014 - so some two weeks since I registered on BM..) and for comments :) . I am very glad that you like it! :)