Weapons Load - Vietnam-era USMC F-8E Crusader ?

Tiger331

I'm looking to build a Vietnam-era USMC F-8E from VMF(AW)-235 'Death Angels' using the Hasegawa 1:48 scale kit. Of course, the kit is largely devoid of stores although it does include the Zuni rockets for the fuselage pylons but I also want to add MER/TERs to the supplied wing pylons together with a load of Mk.82s….any idea where I may source these from ?. I am minded to rob these items off one of my Academy F-4B/Ns but I'm not sure if these are the right pattern for the F-8E or whether I need to invest in one of the Hasegawa weapons sets ?….Does anyone know the best route to take ?

Thanks

Mark

Unless I'm mistaken, the TERs an Mk.82s from the F-4 should work for a Marine Corps F-8. Pretty sure they used the same standard TER on the F-8. That's what I did on my 1/72 one. But I'm willing to be corrected.

Steve

Sure, you can use the MER's and Mk.82's from the Academy kit on the Crusader. I personally like the Hasegawa MER's more than the Academy ones, but they will work just fine. I wouldn't put all 6 bombs per MER, though. Four seems to be the standard, two on the bottom, two on the outer stations.

I'm looking to build a Vietnam-era USMC F-8E from VMF(AW)-235 'Death Angels' using the Hasegawa 1:48 scale kit. Of course, the kit is largely devoid of stores although it does include the Zuni rockets for the fuselage pylons but I also want to add MER/TERs to the supplied wing pylons together with a load of Mk.82s….any idea where I may source these from ?. I am minded to rob these items off one of my Academy F-4B/Ns but I'm not sure if these are the right pattern for the F-8E or whether I need to invest in one of the Hasegawa weapons sets ?….Does anyone know the best route to take ?

Thanks

Mark

Only MERs on VMF(AW)-235 F-8Es.

The Academy ones will do.

There were no type specific MERs/TERs; one size fitted all (like baseball caps :lol: ).

F-8E_VMFA-235.jpg

F-8E_VMFA-235_01.jpg

F-8E_VMFA-235_02.jpg

F-8E_VMFA-235_03.png

F-8E_VMFAW-235_DaNang_Apr1966.jpg

Photos off the net.

For Snakeyes etc you can always use the Hasegawa weapons sets.

Just don't use Air Force type Mk-117 bombs like Monogram did. :doh:

Edit: And as Creepy Pete said (he was faster) use only four.

Edited by Panoz

Hey Guys !,

Thanks for all the great info…..especially the tip about only using 4 x bombs per MER…….Great photos too….I've seen most before, in print or on the net BUT not that first one….great reference for dirty Zuni rockets which I have never noticed before.

Thanks again

Mark

Some USN units did try the Mk.84 for aircraft carrier opérations.

They needed to delete the fuselage pylons, and maybe played with the internal fuel load to be within the launch parameters, but they did it.

Don't know if USMC did use the Mk.84 in ops, but it was at least feasible, and more easy from land bases than on an aircraft carrier.

Keep in mind also that the USMC did use WW2 vintage bombs because of low stock for the Mk.8x serie