Harrier GR1 Diorama Update 14/08

sean

A few years ago when I first got back into modelling, my missus bought me the Modern RAF Set,

which was made straight oob, with what I had at the time and before I learn't different tips and

techniques from people here on BM. Needless to say, it left a lot to be desired, and hopefully

I've improved a bit since then. Well, it ended up in the attic until recently when I made the GR,1

and figured I'd use the base that came with the set. This is what I have so far, and I'd like to get some feedback on what else should be in the scene. I have figures nearly ready to be included but would

like to know the following;

Should I leave the tarmac or put grass on it, with burn marks,?

Is the Fuel truck and Landrover too much,?

What colour should the refueller hose be?

And, would sheep be feeding in the field next to the refuelling spot?

Here are some pics of the general idea I have in mind:

Newimagesspitfire049_zps7814a9ba.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire047_zps1a23307a.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire046_zpse7fc2517.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire041_zpsffc545bc.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire040_zpsd1342619.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire044_zps140891a6.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire038_zps36a3d0c1.jpg?t=1

Any suggestions and feedback would be welcome, thanks for looking,

Regards ,

Sean

Edited by sean
  • Like 3

Fuel hose would be black.

Would think Harrier would be facing other way, out of the hide area, having been pushed by back by a vehicle.

Black/Green cammo on Landy and Trailer.

Toolboxs,

Fire Extinguishers,

Gennys.

Maybe dyed tights with 'grass' attached to represent camo nets above the Jet, rolled variety of same hanging off vehicles

Yellow/orange oblong shapes, representing a box approx. 50cm x 20 x 20 in real life, NATO Standard Herfy Handbag.

Edited by PLC1966
  • Like 1

A few years ago when I first got back into modelling, my missus bought me the Modern RAF Set,

which was made straight oob, with what I had at the time and before I learn't different tips and

techniques from people here on BM. Needless to say, it left a lot to be desired, and hopefully

I've improved a bit since then. Well, it ended up in the attic until recently when I made the GR,1

and figured I'd use the base that came with the set. This is what I have so far, and I'd like to get some feedback on what else should be in the scene. I have figures nearly ready to be included but would

like to know the following;

Should I leave the tarmac or put grass on it, with burn marks,?

Is the Fuel truck and Landrover too much,?

What colour should the refueller hose be?

And, would sheep be feeding in the field next to the refuelling spot?

Here are some pics of the general idea I have in mind:

Newimagesspitfire049_zps7814a9ba.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire047_zps1a23307a.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire046_zpse7fc2517.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire041_zpsffc545bc.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire040_zpsd1342619.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire044_zps140891a6.jpg?t=1

Newimagesspitfire038_zps36a3d0c1.jpg?t=1

Any suggestions and feedback would be welcome, thanks for looking,

Regards ,

Sean

this might give you a few ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL15TnYoCf8

Selwyn

Techies would probably not have shirts off...

They'd be wearing DPM combat's or overalls which,back when we had that mark of Harrier would have been gray with blue collar & epeletters on the shoulders,We used to get changed out of our blues in the locker room & either wear shorts &,quite often,a squadron tee shirt under our overalls.

The'd also likely be a camoflaged netting over the revetment to hide it from the enemy...

• Like 1

The "hides" were of camo netting suspended from light weight green poles. Floors usually consisted of three tracks of PSP and the a/c was always pushed back into the hide ASAP on landing. The vehicles we used were short wheelbase Landys (later air portable lightweights), Bedford three tonners and Unimogs. Refueling was often done from adjacent camouflaged pillow tanks as the presence of a bowser and it's tracks compromised the hide location. The three tonners also carried the hexagonal tanks of demineralised water (used in the hover). Take offs were seldom if ever vertical, but STOL as were landings. The team accommodation was nearby in standard Army 12 man camouflaged tent modules.

Hides were usually situated on the edge of a dense tree line with nearby roads. The 'runway' could be some distance away.

John ex 1(F) Sdn

• Like 2

Here's a 'push back' img131_zpsa20a63d2.jpg

These are actual recce shots from a Danish Draken of a temporary hide caught out and then we were 'bombed by F.100's who emphasized the point by kicking in reheat at tree top height.

img132_zps7065028c.jpg

img133_zps662fab55.jpg

The Pillow tanks are in between the two Harriers. Note the reflections on the wet surfaces from the low winter sun. Vandel about 1973.

John

• Like 2

Hi Spike and John, thanks for the great references info and photos, they're a great help.

Hi Selwyn, thanks for the link, just the sort of thing I had in mind.

Hi Rob, glad you like the dio.

I have a Unimog in the made stash, plus a couple of the 3 tonners that just need painting.

I've also got the Prieser NATO figures, so possibly some good poses in them, I'll just have to nick

a pair of tights of the missus and raid the spice rack for the camo netting :coolio:

Regards

Sean

• Like 1

So, I have changed the lay out due to the info from John, and set this up to hopefully

represent this more realistically.

DSCF3937_zpsfae85503.jpg?t=1409670248

DSCF3939_zps4aebb428.jpg?t=1409670086

The scene will hopefully show the soldier showing the lorry which way to go while the ground crew

ready the Harrier for the next sortie.

I also have the Flightpath PSP, so I'll change the tarmac for grass.

Will the Brengun ladder be alright to use?

What colours should the uniforms be?(Humbrol if possible) I've looked online and not found two

the same, everyone has a different green for the ground crew

DSCF3936_zpsd9cd1946.jpg?t=1409583926

DSCF3940_zps9143095d.jpg?t=1409669946

I can't think of anything else at the moment, any more tips would be welcome,

Regards,

Sean

If they were wearing overalls,then they would have been as I said above,although in the early to mid 80's the gray overalls were being replaced with green ones.

On 4 Sqn in 1980 as a trial we were issued with green denims(overalls) for deployment use, these were just standard grey ones that had been dyed green locally, they were ok but gave you green armpits when you got sweaty! Obviously not colour-fast! I think we only used them on one or two deployments before they were rapidly replaced with proper manufactured green ones which eventually replaced the grey throughout the RAF.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 2

The uniforms we're wearing in my B and W photo, (that's me on the left BTW) were a pale khaki with green pullies ,worn over khaki shirts. Your Harrier is in the earliest scheme so this would be the ground crew dress. Some of us wore aircrew green cold weather kit when you could scrounge it such as the chap on the right (me).. and most of us in the Arctic in this later colour shot.

File1072.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers ,Spike, Selwyn, John, the info is much appreciated. For some reason the green jumper and khaki

trousers combo is stuck in my head. I suppose as a child of the late seventies and early eighties, this is

probably what I would have seen ground crew wearing when I became interested in aviation. Most of the

figures I'm using have overalls on, so I'll probably mix the clothing.

Thanks again,

Sean

By the way John, why are wearing different attire to the other chaps?

Edited by sean

It could be John decided not to wear the aircrew cold weather bottoms the three on the right are wearing,the one on the very right is also wearing a aircrew flight jacket.

If you could scrounge some extra kit to keep warm,all the better.Back in the 80's we didn't get issued DPM kit,so we wore a mix n match of what you either bought or scrounged.Popular was the Aircrew Tee Shirt & long johns as the ones we were issued with was aweful! (waist up around your chest & crotch around your knees!)

When I got to Kinloss in 85,I was issued a arctic parka,which when I left Kinloss was handed in & went so someone else,same as when I went down the Falklands in 89,but by then we'd started to be issued our own DPM so while the arctic/cold weather kit wouldn't have been needed in Germany where I was based,it was needed for the Falklands so I was issued it for the duration.

• Like 2

Sorry Spike,I should have said it was the photo in post 12.

Still,I didn't realise you would be wearing hand me downs!! I thought whatever kit you were

issued was yours. As for those long johns, I think I had the same while on the building sites!!

Thanks for the reply, it,s all good info,

Regards

Sean

• Like 1

Sorry Spike,I should have said it was the photo in post 12.

Still,I didn't realise you would be wearing hand me downs!! I thought whatever kit you were

issued was yours. As for those long johns, I think I had the same while on the building sites!!

Thanks for the reply, it,s all good info,

Regards

Sean

Looks like they are all wearing DPM camoflage trousers & the one on the left wearing a DPM jacket,bit the lightness of the photo's makes it difficult to tell.Back then the DPM kit we got was often second hand or scrounged & they could become quite faded over time.The guy on the right is wearing aircrew cold weather trousers.

Aircrew or NI (Northern Ireland) high leg DMS boots were often scrounged back then as we only got issued the old DMS Ammo Boot back then till the late 80's..(I remember having to go to stores to trade mine in for a set of high leg boots) or Doc Martins were also worn.

• Like 2

I certainly remember the Doc Martins here in N.I. I seem to recall every soldier I'd see would be wearing

them.

Edited by sean
  • Like 1