2x Bf 109G-6 1/72 ( JG3 and RAF captured) - JG3 FINISHED + new close shots

Hey guys, i was thinking if i should join with Fw 190 or Bf 109, just to have something from the other side too. In the end i did pick Bf 109G from AZ Model.

I did some research in last few days, trying to find some plane which was in the air during June 1944. I did find a few, but i m still not sure which one to make. All of them are using the "generic" camouflage, no aces planes so quite "boring". So if anyone had some images, photos or drawings of Bf 109G used in Normandy (or just in France/Netherlands/nearby ) July 1944, it would be great. Here are few limitations though:

- the Bf 109G has to be -2/4/6/8/14. NOT -10 (simply put - else with the two "bulges" or the narrow cowling without bulges, not the -10 type. Thats limitation caused by the kit. The canopy/tail/tail wheel can be any version)

- there should NOT be any special artworks - i can make any numbers hopefuly from sets i have, stripes and that kind of style can be masked, but i definitely cannt paint "mickey mouse" or iron eagle in 1/72 by hand.. :D

-other than that, the more special marking, armament, load (2x fuel tanks for reckon versions or so), the better

I did give it quick start yesterday, painted and drybrushed the cockpit, today i ll complete it and wash it and make some shots tonight when i m at home. And meanwhile i ll try to find some interesting camo :) Found some nice camouflages, but ofc not from the June 1944.. But i ll resist and will not build more 109s at once! :)

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 1

I had very little time so theres not much of progress.. :(

001.jpg

002.jpg

just quick OOB build, i m not sure if i ll keep the cockpit closed or open yet. Only additions are the seat belts (taken from Eduard sheet)

As for the marking, i found this one

2_132.png

which was then repainted to RAF marking

9_3.jpg

So i ll see if the RAF version would be allowed :)) If not, i have a plan to make both of the versions later anyway, so i might make the german version .. or if i find something more attractive, i ll reconsider it :))

Thanks Arni, its just purely OOB, the cockpit in AZ model kits is awesome.

As for the camo.. we have 3 finalists.. :) The captured 109 in RAF colours, the same 109 in german colours and thanks to Cpt_Farrel, this baby

Bf109_G_6_TT_Yellow_6_JG3_1200.jpg

And i m more and more thinking about building 2-3 109s.. :)

I have gone through my tiny stash several times and looked for a suitable subject in this GB, but haven't found it yet. Now reading this thread I'm viewing my Academy G-14 in a new light. My local library has Osprey's Western Front Bf 109 F/G/K aces book, that I must go and pick up tomorrow! Fancy a Rotte, kamerad? :-) V-P

• Like 1

As for the camo.. we have 3 finalists.. :) The captured 109 in RAF colours, the same 109 in german colours and thanks to Cpt_Farrel, this baby

just to correct that profile info on the Manston G-6 ; the unit was 3./ JG 301, so not a day fighter but a wilde Sau night fighter

pilot was Fw. Manfred Gromoll who claimed two Lancs on the night of 7/8 July - note that this a/c was flown with its underwing gondolas (not clean as in the profile..). Three pics of it in Eric Brown's book

G-6 'yellow 8' from JG 301 also landed at Manston on the same night

Edited by FalkeEins
  • Like 1

Thanks Arni, its just purely OOB, the cockpit in AZ model kits is awesome. As for the camo.. we have 3 finalists.. :) The captured 109 in RAF colours, the same 109 in german colours and thanks to Cpt_Farrel, this baby Bf109_G_6_TT_Yellow_6_JG3_1200.jpg And i m more and more thinking about building 2-3 109s.. :)

I'd go with the captured aircraft. Just because it's the most interesting. :)

• Like 1

Cool guys, thanks all for such a nice response :)

I might end up with the RAF and the last one for now - i definitely want to build one with the later type of canopy :)

Falke thanks for the additional info, its nice. ANd i ll check E.Brown´s book what i have at home, if there is something, great idea, i would not think about that.. stupid me, have source under nose and dont check it..:) thanks

Yup woody, i did cut the canopy so it can be built open :) I have some rob taurus canopy for hasegawa here, so i ll use it for the main part and i ll keep the front windshield from kit :) I did some cuts to wings tonight, to make the control surfaces elevated. i ll make some shots tomorrow :)

I can try it for you Woody, though i do not like vacu canopies when we speak about fitting the windshields.. :D I can never cut it good enough to make it fit.. ;)

edit: So first, i have this problem (same as with my previous AZ Model Bf 109G) with the canopy - the fuselage around cockpit does not fit too well (i ll have to remember it next time and thinn the cockpit decks a bit), so there is a little gap between the fuselage halves. Which means the original canopy is too thin. Now the rob taurus vacu canopy is a bit wider in the front area(which joins the fuselage), so it sorts my problem (its back side is as wide as the original AZ Model canopy), so i ll use it :) However, if you grind the cockpit decks and the fuselage joins together without problems, the vacu canopy would be a tiny bit too wide. Hope it helps :)

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 1

Hey again guys, i did not have much time during the week, so today i could make some progress during afternoon finaly.

So here we are at this moment - the second bf 109 got some quick cockpit assembly

003.jpg

One problem i had with previous AZ Model bf 109 and now again, the panel with mg barrels on the nose does not fit as good as i would like.. might be just my hands, however i had to take few turns of surfacer/putty followed with sandpaper, before i was quite happy with the result.

The wings are just dry fit, the grey wing needs rivets yet (they are finished at this moment), the tail on the brown 109 was removed and replaced slightly (i noticed the tail is slightly turning to left when looking from back, so i had to cut the top of the tail on two parts, fixing the movable part separatedly, that allows me to hide the deffect a bit)

004.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks :) It is again just oob pit, only added the seat belts (i did not have any for bf 109 and i was too lazy to make new ones, so i stole some from Me 262B sheet, but do not tell to anyone! :) ) I should again build something with more details, but here are so many nice GBs going and i have so many kits in stash i would like to build as a part of these GBs... :)

Little bit of progress today, i did completed the first 109 airframe (leaving out the underwing radiator flaps), made some frames around the position lights from 0,2mm wire, then sanded it down slightly.

Next was following the coat of surfacer primer. Its strange how many errors pops out after this step, and does not matter how much you think you did clean work.. no, you did not, here you go.. and here.. and here.. there too!... :) So tomorrow it ll be polishing, cleaning, polishing, cleaning.. :)

006.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Stix, but it seems like the gods are against me with this build again.. :/ Today i could not make the airbrush work smoothly.. it kept spiting the paint out irregulary even when the mix was like 80% for thinner.. So after two hours of fighting i gave it up for tonight at this stage

007.jpg

008.jpg

you can see on some areas the little "pools" of paint and spits and bloobs.. I tried to clean the airbrush like 3 times meanwhile, always cleaned it perfectly and after few minutes of using 80/20 mix it got stuck again..

• Like 3