Bristol Bulldog

jack&dad

I would take lengths of copper electrical wire, hold two pieces in a Y shape and run solder over the bottom stem. Cut to length, glue stem into a hole in the collector and bend arms of Y and glue into engine. Alternate to solder is epoxy glue such as Araldite.

If you clamp up the electrical copper wire just right you could make all the exhausts in one go.

=----==----==----==----==----==---- etc

Cheers B,K

been trying that last night and this morning, with very little joy. I put it down to my skills and ability more than

method

Plan B. so for is proving more to my skills set, using the earth for a old USB lead! but at still dabbling if anyone has a better option.

Scott

• Like 1

The Life-Like/Pyro/Inpact Bristol Bulldog is a beautiful kit, even though it's pretty ancient. Quite well detailed and moulded, in spite of its age, with particularly convincing flying surfaces (sharp trailing edges, convincing fabric cover portrayal, and so on).

While Airfix did a nice 1:48th Hawker Fury (that some fastidious people cross-kit with the Life-Like/Pyro/Inpact Fury for optimised authenticity), they never had a Bulldog in their 1:48th range AFAIK. As Admiral Puff points out, their 1:72nd Bulldog is a beautiful little kit. Unfortunately, it needs an aftermarket or modified propeller, since the Airfix made a mistake and the kit prop has its blades with the concave side facing forward. ;-) Aeroclub used to make one, for instance. Perhaps John 'Aero' (a BM member) still has some stock hidden away…

The Kingkit.co.uk one(s) found by HansReggelsen is quite reasonably priced (2nd hand, of course) at 17 UK pounds. The Life Like version sold by Kingkit, which predates the Lindberg reissue, is also reported to be better moulded than the Lindberg one.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Outstanding chaps!

thanks very much. I'm going to persevere with the Smer, purely for the fact that it give me a chance to practice a

little scratch/mod work. As a guy from work have me a kit from Shuttleworth collection,

which is P.E, wood and plastic. Plus I really want to try and do the Radial some justice. As it is a stunner in the

flesh.

Cheers

Scott

Outstanding chaps!

thanks very much. I'm going to persevere with the Smer, purely for the fact that it give me a chance to practice a

little scratch/mod work. As a guy from work have me a kit from Shuttleworth collection,

which is P.E, wood and plastic. Plus I really want to try and do the Radial some justice. As it is a stunner in the

flesh.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott

all in not lost, as the SMER kit, well, recent ones, come with good quailty decals, which are hard to get for a RAF Bulldog.

The one in the Inpact/Pyro/Lifelike/Lindberg will probably be unusable or wrong colours.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/preww2/cleaverbulldog.htm

The decals for the most recent Lindberg release are completely unusable, with the national insignia being printed in World War II colors. Some of the Pyro releases have decals that will still be good, but the original Inpact decals are too thick to begin with and at around 40 years old, are now so brittle they will only fall apart if one attempts to use them. The SMER re-release Bulldog can be found in shops and through mail order. The excellent decal sheet is in the right colors for pre-war markings, and provides these markings used here as well as squadron markings for a Bulldog from 17 Squadron, one of the original units to operate this airplane.

the SMER kit could then be done up in say Spanish republican markings, this is the Inpact kit built BTW

http://modelingmadness.com/review/preww2/biollbull.htm

boillbullb.jpg

or search up Latvian or Estonian Bulldogs, you could probably use leftover Gladiators decals for those, as they both used the Gladiator as well.

The other great Bulldog alternative is Swedish...

cheers

T

the SMER kit could then be done up in say Spanish republican markings, this is the Inpact kit built BTW

http://modelingmadness.com/review/preww2/biollbull.htm

boillbullb.jpg

BTW the camouflaged Spanish Republican Bristol Bulldog is completely bogus.

It was based on the following colour profile published in an Air Enthusiast article back in the 70s.

Bulldog_AE.jpg

The real aircraft originally had the red bands and rudder striping applied over the silver dope finish they carried in Estonian AF service

and then were repainted in dark green over light grey (or was that blue?).

BristolBulldogII-EscuadrillaBulldog6Regi

Just FYI.

Edited by Panoz
  • Like 2

Sunday morning, Kids wanna go to the park?

dad can we go and see the planes again?

??? Yeah why not !!! and another stack of photo's taken too !!!

And yes, what beautiful bird she is. And don't get me started on what a great and inexpensive place Hendon is. Both

Livy (2) and Jack (6) absolutely love it their. We get go a least once a month.

To think this all started for me, with building a squadron of Stit's for Jack's train set !!! HOOKED !!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

this thing is killing my Mojo!

have started lashing it together, not that you can do much as with it anyway!. just to get some practice in for wire cables

if anyone has any links or tips, that would be lovely. I'm starting to think this will have an airbomb strapped to it an launched from an upstairs window!!!

• Like 1

this thing is killing my Mojo!

have started lashing it together, not that you can do much as with it anyway!. just to get some practice in for wire cables

if anyone has any links or tips, that would be lovely. I'm starting to think this will have an airbomb strapped to it an launched from an upstairs window!!!

I can probably find you an exhaust ring and even a complete metal engine set.

John

Gentleman, firstly thanks for the encouragement and offers of assistance and parts.

I knew from the outset I would be dealing with a two bob kit, and stretching my skill set to breaking point!

I came to the conclusion a couple of weeks ago that my ability is limited (hampered by failing eyesight and sausage fingers)

So it became a test track. I have not done a biplane since I was I eleven (34yrs ago) all the cables and such are new to me (as is modelling as a grown up.

So, thanks again for offers and support but this mongrel kit will be completed as is. If only to teach me how not to make a pigs ear of a kit worth building!

The Inpact/Life-Like/Pyro/Lindberg Bulldog kit is basically one and the same, under different names. More recent moulding runs may show signs of wear, though. The Inpact version was the original one, the Lindberg branded one the most recent, IIRC.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Get yourself the Inpact/Pyro/Lindberg Bulldog for the plastic parts and the Smer for the decals. The Smer kit is cheap and has good decals (or you get some more expensive aftermarket decals buthen there is no "free kit" included. I build the Smer Bulldog with my son and put the Inpact decals on - he is absolutely fine with this solution (me too). Well - he has no option ;)

Rene

I build the Smer Bulldog with my son and put the Inpact decals on - he is absolutely fine with this solution (me too). Well - he has no option ;)

Rene

Cruel treatment of kids is severely punished in Germany, so beware who reads this :fight::bobby::bleh:

I'd advise to look out for a late 70s (dark background) or early 90s (white background, though current examples may look similar) Lindberg boxing, as the moulds may just have been a tad better than they are today, and I think Lindberg is generally regarded as not very collectible, so may result in an acceptable price. The Inpact/Pyro/Life-Like boxings are probably a bit more collectable and hence expensive. They could be had at next to nothing in the US around 10 years ago, but postage rates being what they are these days buying there will hardly be economic.

• Like 1