Bristol Bulldog

jack&dad

still chipping away at it. have planned to throw it together a fair bit quicker. compromising detail and quality! Jack likes it and it will likely hand from his ceiling and get twatted with a pool cue!!!

It really is killing my mojo!

• 1 month later...

I always hesitate to differ with John, whose general knowledge of pre-war British biplanes is genuinely remarkable. Aileron differential is very common in the period but in this specific instance there is evidence that the Bulldog, being equipped with Frise ailerons, did without aileron differential, so had equal angular movement up and down.

Namely this quote from the reevant A.P., in post 14 here:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?128207-Bristol-Bulldog-Aileron

Edited by Work In Progress

Yes good point, the Bulldog would appear to have 25 deg up and down whereas many aeroplanes of that time were beginning to use differential ailerons. For general interest the differential was normally set on the bellcrank system or the aileron horns.

John

Sorry that went straight over my head! You would have more luck in me understanding Shakespeare in Swahili !!!

Its a beautiful bird, and I fancied a go at rigging. It was always going to be a basket case !!!

Your sage advice and encouragement is beyond superlatives gentlemen. but please bare in mind that this activity was rejuvenated after 30 years, merely to prevent myself from drinking and wenching myself to death when I became a father!

• Like 1

Brief recap:

1) It's a really good looking model! Sorry that it kept you from pursuing alternative activities, though… ;-)

2) The two separate surfaces on the wings should go in opposite direction if you choose to move them, not both pointing down. For the next one!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Jack&dad,

Put simply, the aircraft's ailerons will make the plane roll. So to roll to the left, the stick is pushed to left, the left aileron will go up pushing the wing down by destroying lift and because they are opposite interconnected, the right aileron will simultaneously go down (increasing lift). So the plane will roll left and if a little left rudder is applied it will also turn left.

With some aeroplanes it was found that when the down going aileron gave more lift it also increased drag. This causes the plane to not want to turn/roll smoothly and the plane then tries to swing away from the turn. This is called a Yaw. Differential ailerons help reduce this effect

.A 'Stall' is when plane is flying too slowly and the wings are loosing efficiency, (with not enough air moving over the wings and so the wings stop working). You have no doubt heard of the term 'Spin'.

When a plane enters a turn too slowly, it's possible for the inner wing of the turn, to in effect, fly slower than the outer wing and so the inner wing stalls first. This wing drops and the still lifting, and faster outer wing swings up and the plane goes into a spiral.

You can now safely fly your Bulldog around the lounge. :o)

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Still more work to do yet. A lot more. I think its me proving to myself that it wont beat me and it will get finished!

I really have learnt with this kit. The biggest thing being, to plan every detail before starting, rather than what I have and keep changing the plan.