Yet another Airfix 1/24 Typhoon ... slow build

Slow progress with this one. I'm still building the cockpit on mine - added some extra detail as I have an aspiration to open up the cockpit side panel - however it requires quite a bit of planning and thought...

Work so far (much easier to manipulate without a front spar):

Fuel pipes in red

imagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg6.jpg

Air Bottle for Hydraulics and pneumatics

imagejpg4.jpg

Currently finishing off instrument panel and seat and started on the Sabre..

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg3.jpg

One question for any other constructors. Part D18 seems to be odd in that the front upper side seems to do nothing. Does anyone think Airfix missed something off the rear of the engine?

And does anyone have any photos of inside the flap housing on the fuselage side, the bit that sits under the trailing edge fairing, please?

Peter

• Like 5

D18 is the base where the large tube formed by parts D09 and D10 are anchored to allow connection to the main radiator assembly. I really like the extras you have added to the cockpit. You have made a busy cockpit even more frantic. Glad to have you as one of the builds of this kit. It has a few faults, but for the most part I have been impressed with the fit of parts and design. Can't wait for your further updates. Keep up the good fight.

Was'on dambuster

Well I must say that's looking pretty darn good I do like the extra detailing you've managed in the cockpit very convincing. I need to get cracking with mine I'm falling way behind...and yours is a slow build!!

Yours aye

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

Been working on best way to assemble the model and what needs to be one for the open access panel below the cockpit. Got up courage to remove the panel and do a dry fit. I reckon that it is possible to build up the wheel wells and inner wing structure before attaching to the lower wing, which will give better alignment to the wheel well sides and roof. I need to work out how to build the missing part of the inner wing - i do have a cunning plan but I need to get some stuff from the Sutton show this weekend.....

None of the structure apart from the cockpit are has been glued yet....

cockpit3.jpg

cockpit2-1.jpg

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit4.jpg

The white hatched area is where the wing needs to be built up over the wheel bay.

wingroot.jpg

Edit: Added/corrected photo links.

Edited by dambuster
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The wing is a single skin from the root fittings, and it sits underneath the root fillet that is part of the cockpit side panel. Airfix designed the fuselage to but join the wing upper piece, and therefore do not include the upper wing skin over the inboard end of the wheel wells. There are some photos on t'internet of the RAF's Typhoon with the wings and engine removed for shipment to Canada that show this very clearly.

Not much more progress - mainly dry fitting the wing structure and working out how best to assemble the wings, and I'm away for a couple of weeks so no updates until mid October at the earliest.

Peter

Loving the cockpit detail. Where did you get the info from or is it educated guesswork?

I found a seller on a well known on-line auction site who does CDs of aircraft publications - one of them is the maintenance manual for the Typhoon which has some good drawings of the different systems - fuel, oil, hydraulic, air etc. There is really far more detail in the real thing than I managed to squeeze in to the model.

Peter