Tamiya 1/12 Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Senna Version

Just received the Blue Stuff Senna decals from Hiroboy last week as well as the Tamiya detail-up parts from the LHS.

ill be using some Hobby Design rivets for detailing the engine block and fairings and Hobby Design air valves.

This is going to be a fairly slow build as I only spend a few hours on the weekend. Any ways here are the pics.

Some Hobby Design stuff

photo2_zps3d4b24f7.jpg

Blue Stuff Decal sheet. Lots of optional decals for the licence plate and exhaust.

photo3_zps3485e153.jpg

Just got the block and valve covers painted and assembled. Also drilled some holes here and there for added bolt details using references online. Still need to add some detail painting for the bolts on the oil pan and cover.

photo4_zps8fad12cc.jpg

Snipped the molded valve stems and drilled the appropriate size holes for the Hobby Design valve stems.

Then went ahead and primed with Tamiya pink primer.

photo11_zpsf4e40fac.jpg

Painted the wheels in Tamiya TS49. Will clear them next week end when the paint is fully cured.

photo21_zps6880b59c.jpg

So far its been a great kit to build. The parts have really nice assembly seams and joints which require minimal work. The past 3 kits I built were all reissue items using old tooling and had to spend quite a bit of time cleaning up the parts and assembly.

Ill have more updates over the weekend. Thanks

Edited by jimmysze
  • Like 2

Nice so far I have this kit and the Senna decals, and should be starting it shortly, so will be following with interest. I also have the Grigio Scuro paint from Hiroboy, looking at the pics of the real thing it seems as though the finish is satin as opposed to the red version, what do you think.

Dave

Nice so far I have this kit and the Senna decals, and should be starting it shortly, so will be following with interest. I also have the Grigio Scuro paint from Hiroboy, looking at the pics of the real thing it seems as though the finish is satin as opposed to the red version, what do you think.

Dave

Hey Dave. I'll be looking forward to your build as well if you decide to share it on the forums.

I think the Senna Version is also high gloss clear finish. It's probably the metallic finish that gives it the satin illusion.

The below reference shows some very bright and sharp highlights that almost seem white, which you would not get on a satin finish.

i thought about picking up the zero paints too.... but I settled with Tamiya TS38 Gunmetal

EBB6144386D157662435DA66FDB67_h498_w598_

A little update so far.

I got the engine mostly painted and assembled to the main chassis.

photo3_zpse1cb448b.jpg

photo4_zpsf81644a8.jpg

Then i finished up the radiator and fan assembly

photo5_zps28a8e4d3.jpg

Hammered the wheels with clear. Next I'll have to mask and paint the rear axle nut then fit the valve stems on

photo1_zps0f8146b8.jpg

I just snipped these off the sprue and glued the exhaust together after fitting. Next step is to clean up the part lines and lay some paint.

photo2_zps57bf99b5.jpg

Thats it for now. I should have the exhaust system painted by tomorrow

I picked one of these up a while back - got it before I even read the preview article in TMMI! I'll be doing mine OOB, possibly with the Tamiya upgrade set if I can get hold of one for a reasonable price. Looks a great build so far!

Lookimg good Jimmy. I've got one in the stash but not sure I'm going to be starting it soon. I think I migh wait for the race version 2015...

Colin

I wanted to wait for the race version too but i just couldn't resist. Maybe I'll build another one later on as this kit is pretty awesome so far.

I picked one of these up a while back - got it before I even read the preview article in TMMI! I'll be doing mine OOB, possibly with the Tamiya upgrade set if I can get hold of one for a reasonable price. Looks a great build so far!

Same here! I saw it at the LBS and just had to pick it up just from the box art haha

So i worked on the exhaust today. used red gold, titanium silver and light gunmetal paints at different viscosity for the burnt exhaust look. I steered away from the clear blues and oranges as i felt it might end up looking too fake. I'll be shooting the slip joints with a textured matte clear and leaving the runners as is.

photo2_zpsa9a7ce8f.jpg

I was only able to lay the black coat over the mufflers today. the metallics should pop more this way.

photo1_zps60b6ea71.jpg

Edited by jimmysze
  • Like 2

So it's Saturday which means a little progress and update. So i finally got the mufflers finished which took lots of masking.

Fitted the exhaust on and followed that up with installing the rad and rad hoses.

This is truly a wonderful kit to build... the fit is hassle free.

photo5_zps688f5a54.jpg

photo2_zps674e8db9.jpg

photo4_zps4cc05694.jpg

photo3_zpsdcc70cfe.jpg

photo5_zps588e8f06.jpg

...also picked up this new release from the LHS... will do a review soon

photo1_zpsdbbfa8a1.jpg

starting to look a little more like a motorcycle

drilled out the holes for the rear brake rotor as tamiya only molds the imprint of where the holes would be.

photo3_zps1d345d46.jpg

rear swingarm pretty much complete

photo1_zps536891fe.jpg

still deciding if i want to paint the rear fender (mounted on swing arm) in carbon fibre effect or the factory charcoal color

photo2_zpsd9e58fcc.jpg

Edited by jimmysze
  • Like 2

Looking really good Jimmy, can you tell me what colour you used for the gold colored engine parts, as in having trouble finding a suitable colour.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I used IPP titanium silver mixed with very very very little IPP red gold to saturate it a little bit. Then I used a matte clear over the parts.

Carbon...definitely!

You know you want too......

ATB

I ended up painting it charcoal to keep true to the senna version :P

But ill definitey do the front fender in carbon! Now time to search for the perfect pantyhose

Super small update... sprayed the rear swingarm parts and glued them in place... then screwed the rear swingarm to the main chassis.

just threw the unfinished rear wheel on there to keep the motivation going.

[url=[/url" rel="nofollow" style="color: rgb(59, 89, 152); cursor: pointer; text-decoration: none; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 17.9400005340576px; white-space: pre-wrap;" target="_blank">http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Jimmy_Sze/media/06EEFC33-56B8-4A16-A24F-9612D1EC372C_zpshdfsfpve.jpg.html]06EEFC33-56B8-4A16-A24F-9612D1EC372C_zps[/url]

• Like 1

got the side braces finished up and assembled and installed the rear shock. the piggy back reservoir is a detail-up part from the tamiya front fork set with the ohlins decal applied by the builder.

FullSizeRender_zps42f4a9e8.jpg

finished the wheels. painted the hobby design valve stems (blk caps) and glued those in place.

masked the rear wheel lock and sprayed it titanium silver.

IMG_6653_zpsbc6765fb.jpg

the front rotors also have detail up parts from tamiya to replace the molded rivets holding the 2 piece rotors together. this requires you to drill holes for installing the rivet details. also drilled out the holes on the rotors which took a long time...

IMG_6652_zps29408b6c.jpg

So i ran into a little hiccup while painting the rear brake reservoir and bracket.

did a poor masking job and the black ran into the white. I'll try and repaint it tomorrow

IMG_6708_zps5748683e.jpg

Put the motorcycle stand together and painted it IPP super red (about the same as tamiya italian red)

still have to paint the hub mount black, paint the rollers and apply a decal and clear.

IMG_6707_zpscace6ebb.jpg

So i'm on holiday break and have some free time to work on the kit. Tackled the front fork today.

Started off painting the top crown along with the brake reservoir then gluing on the detail up parts ontop. its the silver ring, the anodized blue lock nut and the black 90 degree piece. (black ring is for the rubber seal/gasket at the stanchions)

IMG_6753_zps84dc64ec.jpg

These are the rest of the parts that come with the detail up kit ready for assembly.

painted the fork legs in titanium silver and cleared with matt clear

IMG_6761_zps4cfe7674.jpg

...and here is the fork assembled and installed. Front fender is only dry fitted cause it still needs the carbon fibre treatment

IMG_6765_zps3b92d055.jpg

IMG_6766_zps2513686a.jpg

IMG_6767_zps9fb2da08.jpg