The Other Side of the Coin - Airfix Bf 109F Trop 1.48

I recently posted my Spitfire Vb. Here Is the 109F. Some Unhappy with the canopy and I'm hoping to attempt a different approach with my next build. I'm still not happy with the finish. I think that none of the mistakes right at the end where I am perhaps into much of a rush to finish the model. On this bold tried some new techniques on the undersurface. Despite having looked at a number of photographs I turned down the exhaust staining and the overall weathering for this build.

I found myself in Hobby Craft with the wife and spotted some place in the bridal section. This makes for superb grill affects and 2 meetings cost a couple equipped. It will last forever. I bought a few different types. I used a small piece to cover the air filter and am pretty happy with the result.

As always I am hap to receive comments, criticisms and pointers which I can apply in my next build. I await your feedback.

Airfix_bf109F_1.jpg

Airfix_bf109F_2.jpg

Airfix_bf109F_3.jpg

Airfix_bf109F_4.jpg

Airfix_bf109F_5.jpg

Airfix_bf109F_6.jpg

Airfix_bf109F_8.jpg

Airfix_bf109F_9.jpg

This was my first attempt at painting a pilot

Airfix_bf109F_10.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Sean,

well done! Your 109 is gorgeous. This is my favourite paint scheme. The weathering on the underneath is pretty neat and not overdone. The only small detail I would change (if I were in your boots!) would be the tyres, that look somewhat too new and shiny. Some dust and matt varnish would, in my eyes, improve things immensely in that sector.

The rest is great, just as it is.!!!

Great job!

JR

PS: I haven't painted pilots since I was a lightie, so I cannot comment, but it looks good enough to me, not to downgrade in any way the quality of your model!

A very creditable build! She really looks like a Friedrich (odd name for a lady…).

That old Airfix kit may not be the most detailed compared to contemporary Tamigawa products, but the major shapes and proportions are all there, as is obvious from your model.

I like the restrained weathering. It looks very realistic, on the underside especially. Good work there!

One aspect that you might want to keep an eye on for your next build is the basic geometry and symmetry of assembly.

From the head on photo, it looks like your starboard wing has less dihedral than the port one and as a secondary effect, the stbd main gear leg is less splayed than it should be. (compare, for instance, this photo: http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/Museums/Hendon/GermanWw2/HendonBf109FromGroundLevel.jpg). The wheels also appear to have a marked toe out and the dorsal antenna pole seems to be leaning a bit to starboard.

A model of a mass produced flying machine needs to look like an industrial product built in a jig – irregularities tend to spoil the impression of realism.

Lastly, that dimple in the centre of the spinner could do with a spot of dark paint or, better, being drilled out – that's the orifice where the engine mounted 20 mm cannon spits out its deadly exclamation marks…

A nice and ambitious job overall! And the antenna looks good, too, adding character and a sense of detailing. Well done!

Kind regards,

Joachim

A very creditable build! She really looks like a Friedrich (odd name for a lady…).

That old Airfix kit may not be the most detailed compared to contemporary Tamigawa products, but the major shapes and proportions are all there, as is obvious from your model.

I like the restrained weathering. It looks very realistic, on the underside especially. Good work there!

One aspect that you might want to keep an eye on for your next build is the basic geometry and symmetry of assembly.

From the head on photo, it looks like your starboard wing has less dihedral than the port one and as a secondary effect, the stbd main gear leg is less splayed than it should be. (compare, for instance, this photo: http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/Museums/Hendon/GermanWw2/HendonBf109FromGroundLevel.jpg). The wheels also appear to have a marked toe out and the dorsal antenna pole seems to be leaning a bit to starboard.

A model of a mass produced flying machine needs to look like an industrial product built in a jig – irregularities tend to spoil the impression of realism.

Lastly, that dimple in the centre of the spinner could do with a spot of dark paint or, better, being drilled out – that's the orifice where the engine mounted 20 mm cannon spits out its deadly exclamation marks…

A nice and ambitious job overall! And the antenna looks good, too, adding character and a sense of detailing. Well done!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for the tips. I thought that the F only had 2 x machine guns. Was not sure about the Cannon. I know the G series had it. I battled again with the undercarriage and had to resort to a hair-dryer the next day. the Legs were ate odd angles and even worse were the tyres. I had a similar problem on the Vb.

My weak points that I am trying to eliminate are:

1. correct dihedral

2. Undercarriage and wheel position in general

3. Poor canopy finish